• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700 moddable to 5700XT performance?

Caporegime
Was watching a youtube video where someone said that the 5700 is the exact same as a 5700XT just software locked down.

You can try flashing a 5700XT BIOS or modding it someohow and overclocking it to get 5700XT performance easily enough.

Why aren't more people on here talking about this? Surely the 5700 is the best GPU out there in the bang for buck and available cheap enough and the power it can get up to is a bargain.

Associate
You can do it with the Vega 56, it seems like quite an advance thing to do. i myself wouldnt really feel comfortable doing it.

Was watching a youtube video where someone said that the 5700 is the exact same as a 5700XT just software locked down.

You can try flashing a 5700XT BIOS or modding it someohow and overclocking it to get 5700XT performance easily enough.

Why aren't more people on here talking about this? Surely the 5700 is the best GPU out there in the bang for buck and available cheap enough and the power it can get up to is a bargain.

I imagine warranty being void is putting people off trying it.

Caporegime
OP
I can't watch the video just now but if it can be done in a minute it makes me think even more. Why aren't more people talking about this.

You have people constantly complaining about GPU pricing yet this seems to be cheap and offer ridiculous amounts of power after spending a minute changing some settings and pressing some buttons.

Come on people explain why nobody is talking about this on an overclocking forum?

Associate
This wouldn't be the first time an email is amd card has been flashable to unlock hardware. Was the video suggesting the bios flash made unlocked the additional cores/rops on the 5700 making it identical to the XT? Or was it just changes power tables so it performed the same as a stock XT?

Soldato
This wouldn't be the first time an email is amd card has been flashable to unlock hardware. Was the video suggesting the bios flash made unlocked the additional cores/rops on the 5700 making it identical to the XT? Or was it just changes power tables so it performed the same as a stock XT?

You can't unlock anything on the core. 4 compute units are hardware locked and can't be unlock

Soldato
As mentioned there is a hardware lock in place so it won't ever be a 5700XT

I think the last time they a truly flashable card was way back in the day when they released a gto2 and could be flashed to next model up (I did it myself)

Once amd caught on though they did a hardware revision stopping it from what I recall

Associate
As mentioned there is a hardware lock in place so it won't ever be a 5700XT

I think the last time they a truly flashable card was way back in the day when they released a gto2 and could be flashed to next model up (I did it myself)

Once amd caught on though they did a hardware revision stopping it from what I recall

4gb to 8gb 480 card.

R290 flashed to R290x

Soldato
Early Fury cards were potentially unlockable to the full Fury X 64 CUs with nothing more than a BIOS flash. Others were able to unlock 4 of the missing 8 CUs to become essentially their own SKU. Sometimes the locked CUs were locked off for good reason and unstable, but some lucky people got the full 64 running fine (with 60 being a lot more common). AMD eventually started lasering them off instead of locking them behind a BIOS toggle though.

There have been some others over the years. The 6950 could be simply flashed to a 6970. RX 460s can be flashed to an RX 560 to unlock the missing shaders too.

Soldato
4gb to 8gb 480 card.

R290 flashed to R290x
From what I recall though they weren't exactly full unlocks? Ram aside didn't even that still not get the same bandwidth etc

Plus the 480 wasn't it only on certain ones xfx or reference?

The gto2 was just doable on everything if memory serves me right

Back
Top Bottom