Best 4 Door Coupe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well if you just want car advice....you would be absolutely insane to spend that budget on a wheezy bottom of the range repmobile. A soggy-arsed Merc at that.

Soldato
HSBC saver account, there are others but no Vanguard account does less than 5%

My “long term wealth” plan is to triple my take home.... I’m not gonna get there with the hundred or two quid I’d get in interest from saving thousands on thousands

And again this is less than a third of my income, I will still be clearing 2K savings...

For the final time; no more ****** financial advice from keyboard warriors.

Post about cars or GTFO

'Tripling your take home" is both not a wealth plan and not particularly ambitious long term. The account you mention also has a maximum balance of £3k at the end of the 12 month term. Investments accounts you'll get that return though, sure.

Either way, you're naive, most people are at your age. The really successful people are the ones that that advice, though.

Back on topic. What do you want in a car? To me it seems crazy to spend that kind of money on a slow, bottom of the range car. I'd get a more fun, sporty hot-hatch or sports car for the budget.

Soldato
Considered a Tesla Model 3? Finances don't seem to that much of a hurdle more down to age and getting accepted for insurance and maybe finance deals.

Tesla will do PCP via Black Horse. PCH can be had from several companies though you will be limited in choice of colour/options and availability is a bit random currently. I got mine in a week which appears to be some sort of record.

I know its above budget but try PCH for 2 or 3 years and decide if thats how you want to get access to a car. Seems to be the way we are going anyway for car ownership.

I was going to suggest EVEZY for an all inclusive monthly contract on an EV but your too young :) sorry.

Obviously this comes with many caveats but you're after a suggestions and I drive EVs!

Anyway have a play on ZenAuto and see whats what. Normal cars available too.

Associate
OP
Considered a Tesla Model 3? Finances don't seem to that much of a hurdle more down to age and getting accepted for insurance and maybe finance deals.

Tesla will do PCP via Black Horse. PCH can be had from several companies though you will be limited in choice of colour/options and availability is a bit random currently. I got mine in a week which appears to be some sort of record.

I know its above budget but try PCH for 2 or 3 years and decide if thats how you want to get access to a car. Seems to be the way we are going anyway for car ownership.

I was going to suggest EVEZY for an all inclusive monthly contract on an EV but your too young :) sorry.

Obviously this comes with many caveats but you're after a suggestions and I drive EVs!

Anyway have a play on Zen Auto and see whats what. Normal cars available.

Solid idea

Do you have any numbers? I thought the Model 3 was around 35K?

I just feel like with something like EV Tech that I won’t be able to keep it forever as tech outpaces the five year plan

Soldato
WOW, didn't realise Merc put little 1.3's in these now!!!! unless you drive like miss Daisy, then I think you will notice / be happier with the upgraded engine.

as has been stated above, doesn't seem like that much car for £30k, but depends what you are looking for in a car. going for something 1-2 year old opens up lots of options or saves a lot of money.

regards the loan, 3.3% is going to the absolute best rate and unlikely that a 21 year old will be offered this rate as just not enough of a credit history, not matter how good it is to date. You also state that the payments will be split with your parents, so is this a joint car or something they have a say in? do they have specific requirements that need to be kept to?

Caporegime
Non of this makes sense.

'saves' £2000pm, yet going to 'split' car payments with a parent for a £30k loan. Worried about EV tech in a "5 year plan" but is going to sell the car in year 3/4.

Soldato
What is it you want from the car?

I would do some insurance quotes first; it's likely it'll be more than you think, due to the price of the car. An insurance company isn't going to want to have to fork out 30K if you crash it.

In your situation, I would get a nice 1L turbo something (fiesta or focus if you want a bigger car) and map it. It'll give you experience of driving something quite nippy and bring your insurance down enough.

Plus, it'll give you time to consider if you want something as basic as a 1.3L engine in a 30K car. After driving my fiesta for a while now, I couldn't have anything this slow again. It's really bland, and wouldn't want it in a 30K car for 3-4 years.

So, not from a financial standpoint, I simply wouldn't get a 1.3L Merc or anything for 30K - it'll be a really, really boring slow car with a fancy badge.

Heck, a 2017 plate st-line 140ps would be an ace car at that age if you want to spend the money. Get one with all the bits like adaptive cruise etc.

Soldato
Saves over £2000 per month, wants to drop £30,000 on a bottom of the line Merc, first concern mentioned in the opening post is wanting low insurance costs.

Dumb thread is dumb.

A comment on the car?

It's from Mercedes lowest range, with one of their smallest engines. It's almost the perfect example of a style over substance car aimed at people who just want a pretty car with a nice badge and don't care about cars. The fact they seemingly cost so much suggests they're also targeted at people with more money than sense.

It's probably ideal for you.

Associate
Saves over £2000 per month, wants to drop £30,000 on a bottom of the line Merc, first concern mentioned in the opening post is wanting low insurance costs.

Dumb thread is dumb.

A comment on the car?

It's from Mercedes lowest range, with one of their smallest engines. It's almost the perfect example of a style over substance car aimed at people who just want a pretty car with a nice badge and don't care about cars. The fact they seemingly cost so much suggests they're also targeted at people with more money than sense.

It's probably ideal for you.

Quoted for the truth!

OP if youre interested in a good car surely spend a bit less on the same car nearly new and have a bit more for the insurance costs. But if you want to spend 30k on something brand new heres a list of things which are better IMO:

BMW M135
Honda Civic Type R
Focus ST
Golf GTI
Hyundai i30N

Even with any of those getting one nearly new would be a better idea

Man of Honour
How does someone of 21 save 2k a month? To be able to that requires a seriously impressive salary for someone who has been in the job market only about 3 years max. That's an incredible achievement that generally requires ability that is rather at odds with this sort of decision making process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom