Outrage over RNLI overseas spending

Soldato
w/out time to read the whole thread, i'm lost ~ why would other countries be calling the RNLI?? the most I can think is them responding to a call from international waters?

Caporegime
My anger comes from listening to people like you pushing your progressive (lol) agendas in every avenue of life. The fact that you and your ilk are increasingly in charge and dictating to the rest of us. Also the smug condescension and self-righteousness that comes with all this nonsense virtue signalling.

I'd like nothing more than for the PC "liberals" to all pack off and go an live on another planet. You can then all be so very woke together, and see how far it gets you.

I havent been pushing anything, You really need to let go of this faux anger and channel it into to something more productive.

Soldato
No it hasn't. It has always made it very clear that a small percentage of its overall funding goes to international projects.

It is important to educate yourself on the facts.

Yes, people are to blame for not reading the small print :rolleyes:

The information is obviously hidden. I've seen the RNLI before and their mission is to be a life boat for around the seas of the British isles. Nobody is reading the small print. But thankfully its been highlighted now.

People don't have to give any money to anyone.

Caporegime
It is 2%. How do you know that their donations wouldn't drop by that (or more) if they pulled out of all international projects and had no international presence?

Did you even read the link i posted?

We currently spend less than 2% of the RNLI’s total annual expenditure on our international drowning prevention activity and we actively seek donations specifically for this work, including the Isle of Man’s International Development Fund and Department for International Development in the UK, both of which have made substantial donations to our international work this year. Providing the very best search and rescue service in the UK and Ireland remains our priority but we are also proud to use our expertise, knowledge and influence to help others save lives across the world, particularly in countries where drowning rates are high.
Oh so now you're claiming that the international donors now not only 100% fund the foreign projects, but that they donate more than required and therefore subsidise the UK operations.

And you've pulled literally *all* of this from thin air, because there is no supporting evidence.

How's your reading comprehension btw?

The RNLI said, that despite the 6.3 million loss incurred this year, that they would continue to increase spending on foreign projects year-on-year. Including a 400k increase this year.

Because political correctness trumps even financial accounting.

It is always this way when left-wing CEOs are appointed. The PC mission always comes first. Even if the organisation loses support and goes bankrupt, that doesn't matter. THe PC agenda is sacrosanct.

Caporegime
They must have been livid when they found out their money helped saved a child.
Said no one.

The anger is from the reduction of UK staff and claiming that there is a funding shortfall. Whilst increasing spending year-on-year for foreign projects.

Why is this proving hard for you to understand?

And you accuse us of simplistic reasoning... lols. "You just want kids to drown." Yes, that's got to be it, hasn't it? We're just evil.

Soldato
A rich bangladeshi is going to donate a million pounds to a charity in which £980,000 of which will be spent within Britain?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

TNaoJqD.png

Also lol @ the idea that donating to the RNLI from abroad is 'decent'.

Why couldn't the benefactor be donating on the condition that it is spent on the foreign projects? If you are donating substantial amounts I'm sure accommodations like this can be made. Are you just discounting this or didn't consider it?

Permabanned
There will be a mini boom for solicitors as those who feel as I do spend a couple of hundred quid changing their wills, but at a cost to the RNLI hundreds of thousands in legacies... They had a warning from how donations to the National Trust reduced when they tried to force volunteers to show visible support of homosexuality, but their hierarchy obviously also puts political correctness above the fact the RNLI as their name states, is a NATIONAL entity, not international. Hit `em where it hurts, that'll learn `em :) Bangladesh creches and burkinis indeed <LOL>

Caporegime
A whole lot of nonsense and perfuffle over nothing really. Just something the Gammons can get angry about again while the really important stuff gets forgotten or unreported.

Caporegime
Why couldn't the benefactor be donating on the condition that it is spent on the foreign projects? If you are donating substantial amounts I'm sure accommodations like this can be made. Are you just discounting this or didn't consider it?
If I was the RNLI CEO, and I knew that foreign projects were fully funded from overseas donations, then in the event of a public outrage like this, I would quickly reassure the public of this fact.

But this hasn't happened. The CEO hasn't moved to assure people that UK donations fund UK operations and nothing else.

Why do you think this is the case?

1) The CEO is incompetent
2) UK donations are being diverted to foreign projects, and he knows it

If the foreign projects were self contained and separately funded, it would have been a good idea to make a separate charity, would it not.

Caporegime
If I was the RNLI CEO, and I knew that foreign projects were fully funded from overseas donations, then in the event of a public outrage like this, I would quickly reassure the public of this fact.

But this hasn't happened. The CEO hasn't moved to assure people that UK donations fund UK operations and nothing else.

If the foreign projects were self contained and separately funded, it would have been a good idea to make a separate charity, would it not.
Of course a very small amount of all donations goes to the work abroad. To be able to split it up and notify where your donations are being spent would be an administrative nightmare. I’m sure if someone was donating to OXFAM or UNICEF or Cancer Research and was told a month later ‘oh by the way your donation was part of our CEO’s £120k package, thanks for donating!’ The frothing at the mouth of some would mean localised flooding.

Caporegime
A whole lot of nonsense and perfuffle over nothing really. Just something the Gammons can get angry about again while the really important stuff gets forgotten or unreported.
You can always tell who the PC activists are.

They always resort to name calling.

They also pervert the word "liberal" to include zero-tolerance of any dissenting opinion.

They hold to the idea that dissenting opinion stems from some kind of fault or flaw with their opponent. They must be (thick) (bigoted) (racist) (alt-right) (etc).

No opinion that is not in line with their own thinking could arise from a normal person. So instead they look to paint the opponent as broken in some way.

We are increasingly bored and hostile to this PC mindset, which damages debate and intentionally destroys dissent. Stalin would be proud, you guys.

Permabanned

Unfortunately for the RNLI the "Gammons" as you so immoderately describe your elder peers, are the ones who mainly feed them with legacies. This will hurt them, for sure.

Soldato

Most CEOs seem to be incompetent so it wouldnt be a shock.

Caporegime
Of course a very small amount of all donations goes to the work abroad.
Yet they say they can't keep their UK staff due to lack of funding and have let >100 go.

Yet they say they will increase funding to foreign projects year-on-year, including an extra 400k this year.

The two positions only make sense if the RNLI has decided it is now a global life-saving mission, rather than a national one.

That's their prerogative, but they should make it well known (perhaps a name change) that the UK mission is not their core mission, they now have a global mission, and reducing their UK presence is to be expected in the re-balancing.

I say again: they are committed to increasing their foreign project spending year-on-year. I doubt this is the last time they will let UK staff go.

Back
Top Bottom