Outrage over RNLI overseas spending

Soldato
Yip. I've had a hunt and can't find anything online.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/sep/08/charitable-giving-country

Worth a read though. As a nation we fare pretty well, other rich nations are stingy gits though.
Cheers for that, will give it a full read.

It's interesting though, no doubt we're a charitable bunch but I wonder if there's also an element of there being more charities in need?

I mean take Norway for example. They appear low but then they pay a lot of tax and have a lot of things provided so perhaps there's not as much need?

I mean NZ is higher but then they have an ambulance service provided by St Johns so there's a charity that needs support. But then I guess we have the Air Ambulance.

Dunno, just musing on that.

Soldato
A lot of the services provided by the charity sector in the UK is provided by government in other countries, it’s that simple.

Does no one find it odd that 3 of our emergency services are funded by donations?

The RNLI, air ambulance and Mountain Rescue should all be funded by the government.

Soldato
A lot of the services provided by the charity sector in the UK is provided by government in other countries, it’s that simple.

Does no one find it odd that 3 of our emergency services are funded by donations?

No.

We have an incredibly low taxation burden relative to comparable nations. And we have an enormous contradiction in that we seemingly resent funding via taxation yet are outraged about and prepared to fund individually services that are provided by the state in other countries.

Welcome to the UK, where you're told how to feel from a very early age.

Soldato
I was replying directly to the poster above me, the statement is very much true.

I am fully aware of the differences in taxation, I just didn’t post it because I thought it was obvious. More services = higher spending = higher tax (normally).

It also helps if you have a big sovereign wealth fund as one of the countries mentioned has.

I find it utterly bizarre that people hate paying tax but are happy to give to charity, particularly those charities who provide services which the government should/could be providing (e.g. welfare or emergency services or civic services).

I think we may well be on the same page on that front.

Man of Honour

The RNLI, air ambulance and Mountain Rescue should all be funded by the government.

Not sure if I can put my point across succinctly but some countries these services simply wouldn't exist if it wasn't government paid. That isn't to say it is right they depend as much on donations, etc.

Back
Top Bottom