Outrage over RNLI overseas spending

Caporegime
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/rnli-overseas_uk_5d7e3062e4b077dcbd5fdc24?guccounter=1

People Are Cancelling Their RNLI Donations Because They Save Children In Other Countries

https://twitter.com/RNLI/status/1173153355897679874?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1173153355897679874&ref_url=https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/rnli-overseas_uk_5d7e3062e4b077dcbd5fdc24

what.jpg

Since when did everyone become so thoughtless and nasty? A UK charity spends 2% of their budget on overseas work (in an effort to prevent children from drowning) and people are cancelling donations over it and making out that it is some sort of subterfuge ..?

Caporegime
OP
I wonder how many of these 'people' saying they are going to "boycott" / "not donate anymore" actually donated ever.

I do wonder if they would turn down their help if they find themselves in trouble at sea?

Will the operator winch down and be told to go back up into his helicopter because they are boycotting them? "No, i don't want your help, i read in the mail that you are trying to save foreign children too, i will just die thank you."

Caporegime
OP
Ireland is not abroad. Ireland is one of the British Isles and has a shared, if troubled history with the UK.

Cutting jobs which clearly affect the RNLI’s ability to operate while spunking money up the wall on overseas vanity projects has quite rightly upset people.

Trying to prevent a drowning epidemic is a "vanity" project now?

Caporegime
OP
horrendous guff

At the same time, letting your UK staff go because you have a large budget shortfall - and yet reiterating your commitment to increase funding for your overseas projects... this is lunacy.

Did you stop to think that maybe an international presence helps the RNLI bring in more donations from overseas?

An international presence and being noticed for projects overseas is absolutely a good thing and will help raise the profile of the RNLI on the international stage.

Caporegime
OP
So you mean countries that can't be arsed to fund programmes to help their own citizens are going to be significant donors to foreign charities?

Amazing logic.

Frankly I think that's just nonsense you've pulled out of your backside, with literally no reason to consider it.

Who said anything about the countries themselves? I am talking about an international presence that could attract donations from wealthy philanthropists who aren't necessarily from the UK.

Your simplistic view that the RNLI should only spend money in the UK and on saving British people is insular and selfish and it means you that you fail to see the bigger picture.

In fact the burkini thing that you seem to have an issue is done because a donor specifically wanted money to go towards this project (presumably they donated a huge amount o have this sort of influence)

https://rnli.org/news-and-media/2019/september/15/information-about-the-rnlis-international-work

Educate yourself:

RNLI response to criticism that the charity has misled donors who thought they were donating to save lives in UK and are now surprised to learn that money is being spent overseas?

We greatly value our supporters and have not misled them. The RNLI's international work has been reported in detail in our annual reports going back several years and information is also available from the RNLI website and regularly reported elsewhere. The financial commitment to our international work is reported separately and there has been no sleight of hand.

The RNLI’s priority is to provide the very best search and rescue service in the UK and Ireland, but we are also proud to use our expertise, knowledge and influence to help others save lives across the world, particularly in countries where drowning rates are high. Our founder, Sir William Hillary, had the vision that we ‘should extend our views [of drowning prevention] from our own immediate coasts, to the most remote quarters of the globe, and to every neighbouring state’. This remains relevant today.

Why are the RNLI involved in doing International work?

We don’t operate RNLI lifeboat or lifeguard services overseas – instead, we support the work of partners to build local capability. Our international drowning prevention work currently includes educating children in water safety and survival swimming; training personnel in lifeguarding, search and rescue and lifesaving leadership skills, and international advocacy to champion the drowning prevention cause at a global level. Our aim is to increase the number of people who can make a difference to the safety of others in their communities, and share their skills so the lifesaving legacy continues, as well as to call for greater awareness, resources and action at a global level. We can’t do this alone, so are working in partnership with other organisations to increase our impact.

Why are the RNLI funding burkinis?

The Panje Project teaches women swim survival skills in Zanzibar. The burkini, which is a full length swim suit is an innovative (and cheap) way of enabling girls in strict Muslim countries, to get into the water without compromising their cultural and religious beliefs. The RNLI have been involved in the Panje Project with the majority of the RNLI’s involvement funded by a donor who specifically wanted the money to go towards this project.

Why is the RNLI getting involved in creches?

The Creches for Bangladesh programme helps reduce children’s risk of drowning by ensuring they have close supervision throughout the day. Around 40 children a day die from drowning in Bangladesh.

Children are most vulnerable to drowning between 9am and 1pm when parents must work to feed their families, and are unable to provide close supervision. Community-based creche facilities provide a safe environment for children aged between 1-4. Run by local women, these facilities provide a secure place away from open water for children to play and learn important skills.

Access to a free creche place reduces a child’s risk of drowning by an incredible 82%, as well as providing essential early childhood development. We work in partnership with the Centre for Injury Prevention and Research Bangladesh (CIPRB), who are experts in injury prevention and drowning prevention. Alongside CIPRB we have already helped to fund 10,000 creche places for some of Bangladesh’s most vulnerable children. All public donations to our recent appeal were matched by the Department for International Development.

Caporegime
OP
If you're a non British citizen not living in Britain why would you donate to a charity that operates in Britain and spends 98% of its funding within Britain?

When if you wanted to donate to a charity that has a coastguard service in your own country, why not just donate to one in your own country?

Because not everyone is tribal and insular and thinks only about the specific bit of land they happen to be born on.

Caporegime
OP
Okay some I'm an Indian living in India and I'm going to donate to the RNLI in Britain.

It's not about being insular or tribal it's about not being a moron.

So you think that if someone donates money to a charity that isn't based in their own country, they are a moron??

Caporegime
OP
"Presumably".

Prove that these foreign donors funded 100% of this foreign work.

At the end of the day, the RNLI had a 6.3 million loss/shortfall, and asked for more donations. So unless the foreign projects are 100% funded by foreign donors then some of this shortfall is self-inflicted.

If these foreign donors funded 100% the foreign work, and/or there was no shortfall in funding across the RNLI's UK operations, you might have a point.

But you've just said that's speculation on your part. How can I be expected to "educate myself" with your speculation?

Let's not forget they let >100 UK staff go directly as a result of their funding shortfall.

I'm pointing out that it isn't as simple as you are making out (ie that the money they put into international projects is simply money lost from their UK based operations).

As demonstrated by that link, the RNLI no doubt have lots of wealthy philanthropist type backers, and i highly doubt every one of them is from the UK.

An international presence is nothing but a good thing.

Again, from that link:

Our founder, Sir William Hillary, had the vision that we ‘should extend our views [of drowning prevention] from our own immediate coasts, to the most remote quarters of the globe, and to every neighbouring state’. This remains relevant today.

Caporegime
OP
In this specific case yes. What benefit is someone living in Indian going to get donating to the RNLI in Britain, a country which has (relative to the majority of the world) incredible public services and is generally one of the best countries in the world?

You see here is the problem. You assume that someone will only donate money, if it benefits them or their own country....

Caporegime
OP
Trying to educate bigots is like banging your head against a wall and expecting something other than a headache.

I find it bizarre that someone can think that the RNLI only get donations from people living in the UK and British people. The Panje Project clearly demonstrates that they have very wealthy donors who have an interest in them doing international work to save lives, which is nothing but a good thing.

Caporegime
OP
Perhaps he wouldn't have advocated the same if there wasn't enough money in the kitty to keep the UK operation fully staffed tho.

Isn't the idea that he'd automatically be in favour of this... hmm... a little simplistic? :p

No, the simplistic idea, is thinking that just because some jobs were cut in this country, it means they must shut down their international operations.

As we now know, like with the Panje Project, this likely means they would lose some wealthy donors. Wealthy donors who no doubt have a network of wealthy friends who could become potential patrons as well.

Caporegime
OP
Let me just remind you that they cut 100 UK staff because they had a funding shortfall.

So all this talk about foreign donors making massive donations somewhat flies in the face of the actually on-the-ground outcome, which we know to be true.

It is 2%. How do you know that their donations wouldn't drop by that (or more) if they pulled out of all international projects and had no international presence?

Did you even read the link i posted?

We currently spend less than 2% of the RNLI’s total annual expenditure on our international drowning prevention activity and we actively seek donations specifically for this work, including the Isle of Man’s International Development Fund and Department for International Development in the UK, both of which have made substantial donations to our international work this year. Providing the very best search and rescue service in the UK and Ireland remains our priority but we are also proud to use our expertise, knowledge and influence to help others save lives across the world, particularly in countries where drowning rates are high.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
No you're making out that I made a generalisation when I didn't.

You live in a first world country generally have it great and therefore if a natural disaster happens in a poorer country, people donate solely for the benefit of people in the other country. This is obvious with live aid and all the natural disasters recently.

The idea that this will work the other way is pretty laughable, how many people in Africa donate to homeless charities in the UK? Undoubtedly homeless people in the UK have a crap time, but they've got enough on their plate as it is and they probably think that it's a problem for the UK to deal with.

"You see here is the problem" you're not looking at the specific case of money being donated from a poorer country into Britain, it's just not going to happen.

If the RNLI wants to completely change it's raison d'etre and be a charity that works as an international lifeboat charity then I fully accept that it would receive donations from all over the place, but it's not. As has been pointed out in this thread 98% of it's funding is spent on helping the British, why would a French person donate £1, 2p of which could potentially help people off the french coast? The same question with Americans, Brazilians, Australians, Somalians, Chinese? The answer is they wouldn't.

Not everyone in these "poorer countries" is poor. They will have very wealthy people as well, some of which might be looking at charities to donate to.

It is highly likely that these people will see the work being done internationally by the RNLI in Zanzibar or Bangledesh to save children and donate towards that effort. This is why an international presence is important. You can potentially attract more donations from far and wide.

You have an incredibly simplistic view of the world if you think that no one from a different country donates anything towards another country's charity.

Caporegime
OP
And you have a simplistic level of reading comprehension.

Why is a Frenchman going to donate to the RNLI instead of the SNSM?

Why is a German going to donate to the RNLI instead of the DGzRS?

I can go on...

Why does it have to be French or German?

Caporegime
OP
Why are you being that obtuse?

I'm using it as examples.

Here I'm going to explain it for you really simply

Why is a <person from country X> going to donate to the RNLI instead of the <lifeboat charity within their own country>?

Good lord it isn't difficult.

The RNLI are doing international projects in Bangladesh for example. A wealthy Bangledeshi philanthropist sees this and thinks the work that the RNLI are doing is great and wants to get involved in what they do. He therefore donates a large sum every year to help them.

Even in your example, yes a decent French person may read about what the RNLI is doing internationally to help save children from drowning and want to donate money to help them.

It happens. Some people are decent.

Caporegime
OP
A rich bangladeshi is going to donate a million pounds to a charity in which £980,000 of which will be spent within Britain?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

TNaoJqD.png

Also lol @ the idea that donating to the RNLI from abroad is 'decent'.

Again, you see it all too simplistically. Please read this:

https://rnli.org/news-and-media/2019/september/15/information-about-the-rnlis-international-work

"The RNLI have been involved in the Panje Project with the majority of the RNLI’s involvement funded by a donor who specifically wanted the money to go towards this project."

"We currently spend less than 2% of the RNLI’s total annual expenditure on our international drowning prevention activity and we actively seek donations specifically for this work, including the Isle of Man’s International Development Fund and Department for International Development in the UK, both of which have made substantial donations to our international work this year. Providing the very best search and rescue service in the UK and Ireland remains our priority but we are also proud to use our expertise, knowledge and influence to help others save lives across the world, particularly in countries where drowning rates are high."

People are donating specific funds for these specific projects, and the RNLI is getting donations from the department for international development to fund them as well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If people want to donate to the RNLI then they are expecting a certain place the money is being donated too i.e. life boats for sea rescue around the British coast.

I don't give to this charity but if I did I'd stop it too. It's misled people.

No it hasn't. It has always made it very clear that a small percentage of its overall funding goes to international projects.

https://rnli.org/what-we-do
https://rnli.org/support-us/how-your-support-helps/where-your-money-goes

These international projects are funded by individual donors/philanthropists and the Isle of Man’s International Development Fund and Department for International Development

https://rnli.org/support-us/give-money/philanthropy

"We currently spend less than 2% of the RNLI’s total annual expenditure on our international drowning prevention activity and we actively seek donations specifically for this work, including the Isle of Man’s International Development Fund and Department for International Development in the UK, both of which have made substantial donations to our international work this year"

It is important to educate yourself on the facts.

Back
Top Bottom