Wardrobing

Soldato
Man of Honour
Never heard of the term, but I've heard of the practice.
High end fashion houses employ "sniffers" to check for signs that a garment has been worn.

No I don't do it, and wouldn't.

Soldato
Agreed, scummy thing to do and plenty of women at work discuss doing this.

If i buy something to wear i wear it until it drops off me or starts to get tatty. Lol for example im probably the opposite i have 4 pairs of the exact same trainers ive bought over maybe 6-7 years, 3 pairs are too worn now to wear in public and one pair is brand new. The worn pairs i use in the garden or when im shooting at the range as they are good enough for that. Tbh i prob should throw 2 pair of them away but nvm

Soldato
OP
It's a bit off putting to think that clothes you order online could potentially be second hand, with someone having worn the items to a wedding or whatever. Ugh.

Article has 3 guys and 3 women as examples.

GD : IS THIS A PREDOMINATELY FEMALE THING?

I did notice that none of the people interviewed admitted to doing it themselves, only that they know someone who does it. Probably says it all, who would admit to it? Although if the statistic of 1 in 5 shoppers is anywhere near accurate then it doesn't bode well for retailers; it must be a costly process for them.

Man of Honour
I didn't know this was a thing...so people are deliberately lying in order to rent clothes for free? I'd say that's fraud. If you want to rent some clothing for something, be honest and rent it for an agreed fee. Stopping people doing it after they've already done it a few times? Absolutely fine by me, as long as it isn't misused to refuse genuine returns (unwanted and unused item, item not as described, etc). If it was implemented correctly, I wouldn't be bothered about people being fined for trying it, since I do see it as fraud. It's deliberate deception to gain something by taking something from someone else - fraud. It's not like piracy, where it could be argued that nothing is being taken from the target. With this, it's unequivocal. The people doing it are taking something from the target - used clothing has less value than unused clothing and processing returns imposes a cost on the target.

Soldato
I would only ever do it if I felt annoyed about having to buy something, like forgetting a tie when you've travelled to a wedding and just getting any old thing to cover you for the day.

I think I've maybe done it once before when it was something for fancy dress, couldn't find the right thing to hire and it was costly to buy. Think it was a hat maybe.

Caporegime
I would only ever do it if I felt annoyed about having to buy something, like forgetting a tie when you've travelled to a wedding and just getting any old thing to cover you for the day.

I think I've maybe done it once before when it was something for fancy dress, couldn't find the right thing to hire and it was costly to buy. Think it was a hat maybe.
That's the point of the article. It's inconvenient to you so rather than deal with it you take the easy way out and make it someone else's problem. It's cheap and shady behaviour.

Soldato
I bought a Xmas jumper for Xmas jumper day at work. After using it I decided that I wasn't keen on it and wouldn't wear it again so I returned it.

I've no regrets. It wasn't expensive anyway, Primark, but it'd have just taken up unnecessary space in the drawer. To be fair, Primark's returns policy says returns must be 'in a saleable condition', which it was, and I didn't set out planning to 'rent' it, so maybe it doesn't really count.

Soldato
I bought a Xmas jumper for Xmas jumper day at work. After using it I decided that I wasn't keen on it and wouldn't wear it again so I returned it.

I've no regrets. It wasn't expensive anyway, Primark, but it'd have just taken up unnecessary space in the drawer. To be fair, Primark's returns policy says returns must be 'in a saleable condition', which it was, and I didn't set out planning to 'rent' it, so maybe it doesn't really count.

You shop in Primark?

You can't just blurt out something like that and then expect us to move on and pretend it didn't happen...

Soldato
Yes. Did you read the article and understand the concept being shared which you then gave a great example of doing yourself?

You know when you're moaning about a problem and everyone else is giving you that "Really? That tone deaf?" look?

That's where we are in this film.

Buying something crap and expensive you never wanted in the first place because nowhere hired it is hardly the same as intentionally buying and returning a wedding dress.

Back
Top Bottom