Wardrobing

Associate
Agreed, scummy thing to do and plenty of women at work discuss doing this.

If i buy something to wear i wear it until it drops off me or starts to get tatty. Lol for example im probably the opposite i have 4 pairs of the exact same trainers ive bought over maybe 6-7 years, 3 pairs are too worn now to wear in public and one pair is brand new. The worn pairs i use in the garden or when im shooting at the range as they are good enough for that. Tbh i prob should throw 2 pair of them away but nvm

I am the same. When i buy something I make sure I make it last. But i only have 1 good pair of trainers and 1 rough pair. When the new pair gets too worn it becomes my rough pair. I think my good pair is over 5 years old now, so I'm due a change.

My brother sometimes wears a jumper a t-shirt that he stole of me about 7 years ago. I'm sure he only does it to wind me up though.

Can kind of see why women do it, when they can only wear a dress once, because they think people may judge them. It is made worse now because of social media and people can easily see in pictures that they have worn the same dress to 2 weddings.

Soldato
OP
I bought a Xmas jumper for Xmas jumper day at work. After using it I decided that I wasn't keen on it and wouldn't wear it again so I returned it.

I've no regrets. It wasn't expensive anyway, Primark, but it'd have just taken up unnecessary space in the drawer. To be fair, Primark's returns policy says returns must be 'in a saleable condition', which it was, and I didn't set out planning to 'rent' it, so maybe it doesn't really count.

Buying something crap and expensive you never wanted in the first place because nowhere hired it is hardly the same as intentionally buying and returning a wedding dress.

These two examples are quite interesting. To most people (in my opinion), this is barely better than theft, with the only difference being that the items get returned after use. The self justification offered is very thin indeed. The items were inexpensive and crap? I mean, really. :p

Associate
No, it's scummy and not even worth the effort. I see something i like, i wanna own it and wear it more than once.

I hope they clamp down on it and introduce some kind of rental service for people that want to do this.

Soldato
To most people (in my opinion), this is barely better than theft, with the only difference being that the items get returned after use.
I think that's quite an important distinction from 'theft' :D

There's no loss, certainly in my case, so difficult to see where there's any 'moral' problem. And I adhered to the terms and conditions of sale - so it's not even a case under civil law, without the absurdity of considering the criminal idea of theft!

I think setting out to 'rent' clothing is perhaps different in a 'moral' sense (though personally I don't really care if people do it, tbh). But perhaps there's also a 'moral' issue with buying clothes for a one-off use: wasteful.

Soldato
Girl at work got a wedding dress and is trying to send it back after the "happy day"
It's from a British company too.
Good luck

I'd be taking photos from social media of her in the dress on her day and forwarding it to the business :D but I'm a **** and hate chancers and people that take the pee

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It is theft at the base of the issue. Should be treated the same.

Maybe this is a unique business idea waiting to happen, company buys the latest fashion, loans it out to people who CBA to buy and keep the latest fashion items they obviously want to be seen in /for the 'Gram/. It stops wardrobing, it creates jobs and fills a gap in the market. You can hire wedding dresses, suits and other items, so why not the latest casual fashion too?

Soldato
What about ordering multiple sizes for the same item with the clear intention of returning either the ones that don't fit or all if the fit isn't right? That would end that practice and put me off ordering from new places that I'm not sure about their sizing.

How do you differentiate?

I think the online retailers have an issue here as what's happening hurts them, but becoming overzealous on the banning could also harm them.

Soldato
I think that's quite an important distinction from 'theft' :D

There's no loss, certainly in my case, so difficult to see where there's any 'moral' problem. And I adhered to the terms and conditions of sale - so it's not even a case under civil law, without the absurdity of considering the criminal idea of theft!

I think setting out to 'rent' clothing is perhaps different in a 'moral' sense (though personally I don't really care if people do it, tbh). But perhaps there's also a 'moral' issue with buying clothes for a one-off use: wasteful.

Assumed your post about the Xmas jumper was a wind up...amazing how you’ve convinced yourself what you did was fine!

Soldato
OP
There's no loss, certainly in my case, so difficult to see where there's any 'moral' problem.

There is loss, and no one should really have to point the specifics out. Like I said, it's interesting how those who do it manage to convince themselves otherwise.

But perhaps there's also a 'moral' issue with buying clothes for a one-off use: wasteful.

Yes, I was thinking that myself. I think there's definitely a problem to solve there and some money to be made for someone clever enough to corner the market.

I don't do this, but is this any different to someone trying clothes on in the stores changing rooms?

I would say so; I've never left the changing rooms to attend a function and then return a week later to inform the sales assistant, "It a perfect fit", then hang it back on the rack.

Soldato
There is loss, and no one should really have to point the specifics out. Like I said, it's interesting how those who do it manage to convince themselves otherwise.
There isn't a loss - it went back to the store are good as new. I only wore it for a day in the office, over a work shirt. They'll have sold it the same as any other

Soldato
There isn't a loss - it went back to the store are good as new. I only wore it for a day in the office, over a work shirt. They'll have sold it the same as any other

You assume they sold it. You assume that they don't have to be returned to the manufacturer.

Even if it's kept in store for resale, they've still got to have an employee reshelve it, even it's only a minutes job, it's still effectively a loss.

What about the labels? What if because you had it someone couldn't buy one and it wasn't sold because the window was missed.

The loss might only be pennies, but it will be a loss to the company in some form.

Back
Top Bottom