Creative X3 and Theater Headphones with X-fi

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Creative released some pictures of its upcoming products supporting their hyped 'Super X-fi' tech

https://www.audioxpress.com/news/cr...-blaster-x3-and-super-x-fi-theater-headphones

X3 looks nice its a dac+headphone amp and its at least supporting Super X-fi tech so do the wireless headphones, was looking into Nu soundcard and even AE-9 but apparently there still similar to AE5.

Speaking of AE-9 one reviewer here said he preferred the sound quality from his Fiio £85 quid amp here:
https://mspoweruser.com/review-creatives-sound-blaster-ae-9-is-an-attractive-expensive-sound-card/

Some interesting tech for this fall at least

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Perhaps early review of the X-fi posted here:

MegaFalloutFan

ava0

#5715522 Posted on: 09/29/2019 09:42 PM
This is literally THE FUTURE OF SOUND, I cant wait to get one of these.
Right now I have the smaller sibling the SXFI AMP, the SB X3 is a better option with tons more options and better DAC, SXFI AMP DAC is 24Bit/96Hz maximum, even in surround.
The main deal here is that its not "another" headphone virtual surround, but Holographic Sound, they trying to emulate actual surround speaker setup.
IT works by scanning all the popular headphones for their characteristics and human ears and face.
So you download an app, choose a headphones from a list , then you do ears and face photography, very easy and automatic, no need to press button, just give your phone to someone all he has to do is look at ear outline and match it with yours and it automatically takes a picture.
After all is done, its uploaded online and attached to your account, the moment you connect SXFI device to your phone it downloads all of this to the device firmware.
SO far in under a month I had 3 firmware updates for the AMP, so they still working on it and tweaking everything everything up, this is new project.
SXFI amp, works with everything, PC, consoles, mobile phone, the biggest Minus is that unlike PC sound card it has One input for headphones and microphone, so connecting PC headset like Game One, you need an adapter that joins two cables into one.
The surround effect is amazing, ima headphone guy due to situation and never used speakers, but i been using expensive virtual surround solutions all my lifem I usually used Console virtual surround headphones with SPDIF cable from PC and Creative SB Dolby Live Encoders, Tritton AX Pro 5.1, Sony MDR-HW700DS , Turtle Beach Elite 800, Different stereo headphones with Creative virtual surround on their Sound Blaster cards , my latest setup is Sennheiser GSX1200 External DAC + Sennheiser Game One
Im telling all of this just to show that I used many different virtual headphone setups from simple Headphone Dolby Surround to latest DTS headphone X to propriety like Creative surround and Sennheiser virtual surround to Windows 10 Sonic and ATMOS for Headphones.
This Creative SXFI Holographic sound beats all of it, its INSANE
They already sell these in USA on creative.com, sadly im not from USA and cant buy one right now, i need them to sell it on amazon or newegg these ship INT, but based on the past, all SXFI devices including the SXFI AMP and two pairs of SXFI headphones, they only sell on their web site, i had to buy second hand from a guy in Germany on ebay

P.S. If anyone worried about drivers, the SXFI AMP is like USB DAC, has no drivers

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sound-blaster-x3-with-super-x-fi-support-released,2.html

He describes similar to why Creatives x-fi holographic sound scooped all the ces awards up saying its next level audio listening.

Probably written by a creative employee ;)

I am tempted to buy one considering the price and because I sold my AE5 off but want to see the reviews.

Permabanned
Hmm I have never liked my ZxR and the two new cards AE-7 and AE-9 are lacking in some ways and costing a lot for the AE-9 and I primary do not use headphones so seems waste for me but I want a soundcard that is a soundcard not basically a DAC.

This actually can do real 5.1/7.1 with speakers can install software to get effects etc and seems to tick all the boxes but why do they not include HDMI output today to get the newer DD+ and DTS+ features instead of DD Live and DTS Connect (does it even have the latter) converting them, it it due to you can use your GPU for this?

Soldato
I had the XFI dongle when it came out and returned it. Could not justify thew price and the build was poor. Hopefully this is better as the idea behind it all is good.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Am tempted but want someone first to fork out the money and see if the X3 is worth it !

15% off code though currently on there site or check 2nd post above makes it more tempting

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
I've bit the bullet and ordered a X3 this morning.

Hope you used the 15% off code, I want to also but not sure if it has the right amp or power for high end headphones (claims 600ohm) but nearly all creative products claim they have support but my AE5 and Z did feel like it lacked the power but could just be me.

If you see in that one review I linked on top, the guy said his 85 quid Fiio amp sounded better then his AE-9 @ £300 so it really scratches my head sometimes if its not just sales talk and hype. Whats more shocking is they did not include X-fi technology to the AE9 their flag ship soundcard really.

Left further wondering why Creative would release a product that cost 2x less then their AE9 flagship and offer better sound quality in X-fi tech with the X3 !

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Still Mik3 would appreciate a heads up if its any good and if this holographic star trek 3d sound Xfi business is any good ;)

Permabanned
Hope you used the 15% off code, I want to also but not sure if it has the right amp or power for high end headphones (claims 600ohm) but nearly all creative products claim they have support but my AE5 and Z did feel like it lacked the power but could just be me.

If you see in that one review I linked on top, the guy said his 85 quid Fiio amp sounded better then his AE-9 @ £300 so it really scratches my head sometimes if its not just sales talk and hype. Whats more shocking is they did not include X-fi technology to the AE9 their flag ship soundcard really.

Left further wondering why Creative would release a product that cost 2x less then their AE9 flagship and offer better sound quality in X-fi tech with the X3 !

Exactly as it sound too good to be true, the AE-9 is basically a Soundard that isn't a soundcard its mainly about that external module and Headphones use in which case any decent USB DAC would be cheaper and do the basically the same

I really would like to get a change for my ZxR.

Soldato
I will post back when it arrives, post plenty pics and my thoughts and I'll take it apart post the list of components if it doesn't have a warranty sticker.

Soldato

Yeah I used the %15 off code, thanks for posting that it saved me a few pounds :)

Soldato
...but why do they not include HDMI output today to get the newer DD+ and DTS+ features instead of DD Live and DTS Connect (does it even have the latter) converting them, it it due to you can use your GPU for this?

Pretty much as you've said; lack of sound cards with HDMI is due to you can just do that with a GPU or HDMI from motherboard to get Dolby and DTS HD audio to an external receiver.

Asus did have the Xonar HDAV sound card with HDMI, which was the way to get Dolby and DTS HD audio to an external receiver. That was before GPUs supported HD audio bit streaming as they do now. At the time, I think that was a result of movie industry protection nonsense.

As for Dolby Digital from a sound card; that is still useful for people with old AV receivers that have no HDMI, or people that want to use something like an Astro Mixamp with PC.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Exactly as it sound too good to be true, the AE-9 is basically a Soundard that isn't a soundcard its mainly about that external module and Headphones use in which case any decent USB DAC would be cheaper and do the basically the same

I really would like to get a change for my ZxR.

Ahh did feel a bit of a slapped on product with a few updates and tweaks tbh, I have never used dolby digital or hdmi but hopefully the above answer is good for you.

Yeah it did knock me back for six especially if a reviewer is saying an amp a fraction of the cost sounds better then the AE9 !

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
I will post back when it arrives, post plenty pics and my thoughts and I'll take it apart post the list of components if it doesn't have a warranty sticker.

oh nice, really the early thoughts is good enough, don't want to damage the precious.

Associate
Had one of these ordered then cancelled it when I saw there was no game/voice chat mix on PS4. Also, a comment on reddit from Creative said to 'hold tight' regarding this feature which made me think a new product was coming (or maybe an update to functionality on the G6?).

Soldato

If you see in that one review I linked on top, the guy said his 85 quid Fiio amp sounded better then his AE-9 @ £300 so it really scratches my head sometimes if its not just sales talk and hype.
SB Z has average level headphone output with ~2V max voltage and mediocre output current/power.
So that's not good for demanding headphones.
SBX AE-5 again has proper headphone output, with fair 5V max voltage and 200mW level power output.
(that's twice the max power rating of Beyer DT770-990 drivers)
SB X3 seems like it might fall in between.
Would expect current handling to be better than in old SB Z, but max output voltage is specced for 2.9V.

Without actual measurements wouldn't put much value for those claims of something being better than other.
Because Fiio could be for example changing frequency response and boosting bass, which is all what's needed to fool results.
Human ear is just lousy for measuring signal for any kind accuracy.
Binaural cues is the only thing our hearing system can actually analyze properly. Anything else is total crapshoot and further very easily biased.
(hence any actual sound quality testing should be done as blind testing)

As an example once had chance to test Turd Beach Z60 gaming headphones.
Didn't expect much, but when starting with music they were better than I expected giving "agressive front row feeling" with rock.
But then binaural sound with game recordings and movies... (insert facepalm smilie here)
That sounded figuratively like having head in bucket under water!

Back
Top Bottom