Creative X3 and Theater Headphones with X-fi

Permabanned
I mean if your PC does not have BT and you fit a X3, can you then connect/pair a set of BT headphones to it?

And since it part of this external soundcard you may be process the sound with Creatives software installed to PC unlike now on any soundcard in Windows where the Creative software does nothing to process the sound via Bluetooth M2 Card/USB Dongle Bluetooth connected to headphones (you can change effects in Windows Sound Properties though and get some basic MS effects).

Last edited:
Associate
Just a quickie... The volume control knob, is it a "clicky" type that controls the windows main volume or a smooth type potentiometer.
If it's the latter, is there any noticeable crackle, or channel imbalance when changing volume.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Just to confirm it is USB powered only ? Or it needs a seperate power plug to wall and usb cable ?

Good to hear its got Direct Stereo mode also, I can't live without it, bit odd though the device does not power off completly once the pc is off its not that usb mobile charging port is it by chance ?

Soldato
Just to confirm it is USB powered only ? Or it needs a seperate power plug to wall and usb cable ?

Good to hear its got Direct Stereo mode also, I can't live without it, bit odd though the device does not power off completly once the pc is off its not that usb mobile charging port is it by chance ?

Yes it's powered by USB only (X3 USB to PC USB port) no external power supply needed.

When i had a sennheiser GSX1000 i'm sure that was the same, only powered off when pc was shutdown and switched off.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Yes it's powered by USB only (X3 USB to PC USB port) no external power supply needed.

When i had a sennheiser GSX1000 i'm sure that was the same, only powered off when pc was shutdown and switched off.

cheers that is good news, less wiring to deal with does your X3 power off fully once the pc is switched off ? I wonder why miks does not

Soldato
cheers that is good news, less wiring to deal with does your X3 power off fully once the pc is switched off ? I wonder why miks does not

When the PC is shut down the unit is still powered, it only powers off when you either switch your PC's power supply off or switch it off at the wall.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
oh from the wall switch also, something new to me I just thought energy waste wise it would fully switch off once the pc was shut down via start menu.

Soldato
I mean if your PC does not have BT and you fit a X3, can you then connect/pair a set of BT headphones to it?

And since it part of this external soundcard you may be process the sound with Creatives software installed to PC unlike now on any soundcard in Windows where the Creative software does nothing to process the sound via Bluetooth M2 Card/USB Dongle Bluetooth connected to headphones (you can change effects in Windows Sound Properties though and get some basic MS effects).

No I dont think it does, I didnt get a manual with mine and I cant find one on creatives site.
You could use one of those little USB bluetooth auido transmitters plugged it into the headphone out.

Amidar What do you think of the X-fi?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Found a USB cable with on/off switch of the bay for £2.50, maybe a simple fix to switch the unit off rather then going to the ps or wall switch for the X3.

Permabanned
Can you not change a setting in your Bios?

At one time USB ports did not supply power in standby its just modern Mobos with different power states and ability to charge devices while PC is off changed that.

I would say this is an oversight on Creative's part as it should power off and not due to it using a little electricity.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
Yeah that is what I thought, you would think a simple chip could detect no usb power and just go to energy saving mode.

Probably just complaining over an extra 20 quid for the whole year its left on but still don't sound very eco green friendly.

Still that usb on/off dongle is a quick cheap fix but am 100% positive I will forget to switch it off either way !

Permabanned
My Ext HDD enclosure goes into standby with PC and back on at startup on USB and ESATA so its not hard to implement and again I was not thinking of the cost in on electricity just seems dumb to have it stay powered up but the again this is Creative sometimes they do good things and other times they take a step or two backwards.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OP
That does describe Creative very well sadly, gets on my head too when engineers don't add simple common sense things to items.

Permabanned
If you have high end BT headphones that support aptX-HD and LDAC like Sony's range you need to jump through hoops to get this in Windows as Windows only supports SBC and now for a while aptX.

Some use their Android phone and install Bubble player to make a DLNA between the phone and PC then pair the headphones with the PC.

Others buy a DAP/DAC device wire it up to do the work but its not as cut and dry as this.

I have a high end WIFI 6/BT 5.0 Intel card but it does not have any codecs so I am stuck with same as above.

What I see here was a opening for Creative to build on the BT side of that module and let you pair it to headphones and they could have baked in AAC/SBC/aptX/aptX-HD and LDAC codec and charged at least £150 for it.

I even had my Shield TV streaming LDAC 32bit/96khz (24/96 but not sure why LDAC ends up 32bit but it claims this) out to the headphones without any real messing about just by going in Developer Option and installing PowerAmp (to verify the input and output and no re-sampling going on.

Back
Top Bottom