Ebay - Yes I should know better.

Soldato
i see the seller, seems to have a lot of good feedback. i cant see how a big seller like that would put out fake stuff. it could be a generic brand like those socket 2011 motherboards you get from china for dirt cheapo but work. obviously needs better pics.
need the op to provide proper pics of whats been received and also take pic of the gpu itself with heatsink removed. interested to see how this scam can even work for such big sellers since ebay always sides with the buyer and will refund no probs.

Fake graphics cards are common enough on eBay, Wish etc, plenty of YouTube videos showing various examples.

Soldato
It doesn't matter if it's a generic brand or not, you're not getting a legitimately brand new 1060 for £50.

The thing is, a lot of people will buy something like that and not realise they've been sold a scam item. It's highly unlikely anyone even remotely tech savvy would willingly take the chance on something like the above. The average person that just wants to play games might very well buy a product like that and not be aware that their supposed 1060 is performing like a 450, or will blame other parts of the system.

Never underestimate how utterly ignorant of tech a lot of people are.

Man of Honour
People who buy electronics from eBay :rolleyes:

Retail, members market and maybe gumtree or Facebook marketplace if it’s local and I can collect and see stuff working only for me.
I've bought two used laptops from ebay. Both spot on. No issues with either. The first was from a company and the second was an under market value item from a private seller. I was a bit nervous about that one as I bid on it last minute when it seemed a bit too cheap. But that turned out fine. Mind you I don't think I'd buy a GPU there.

Soldato
I've bought two used laptops from ebay. Both spot on. No issues with either. The first was from a company and the second was an under market value item from a private seller. I was a bit nervous about that one as I bid on it last minute when it seemed a bit too cheap. But that turned out fine. Mind you I don't think I'd buy a GPU there.

I felt the same way at first, but they can be worth looking at if you're careful.

I mentioned this earlier, but I picked up a new AMD RX580 8GB awhile back for £120 and it's been spot on, although granted that was with a 20% off coupon. That's the main reason I look at certain hardware on there tbh, there's almost always some sort of coupon for a substantial saving, and if you can combine it with a decent seller + a best offer or some such you can get really solid deals.

That said, I'm not sure if I'd buy a high end GPU on there in the way I did the 580. Depends on the seller really, there are a bunch of good retail stores which sell through the company that I'd probably still use.

This. I recently bought a used Lenovo laptop from an official outlet via eBay which is probably a bit safer. It has a 1660 Ti which is a desktop card but in a laptop and its passmark is double of the OP's 1050 Ti. Even better that I used a Paypal code which knocked 10% off it :) Think it was about 10 days ago when it was available for everyone for every eBay category except for cars and real estate.

Soldato
i see the seller, seems to have a lot of good feedback. i cant see how a big seller like that would put out fake stuff. it could be a generic brand like those socket 2011 motherboards you get from china for dirt cheapo but work. obviously needs better pics.
need the op to provide proper pics of whats been received and also take pic of the gpu itself with heatsink removed. interested to see how this scam can even work for such big sellers since ebay always sides with the buyer and will refund no probs.

Because it's probably a 'bought' account.

Initially its a genuine seller who builds the good feedback etc then someone offers them a sum to take over the account. The new account owner then uses the good feedback score to lure victims in.

It's quite a racket tbh.

Soldato
I've bought loads, probably hundreds of items from eBay over the years and had very few if any issues, intact I am struggling to think of one.

However, Amazon marketplace, I bought some PIR lights that never turned up, despite I got a message saying I had signed for them!

I bough a mobile phone that turned out to be an Italian version even though sold as UK.

I did get the above sorted but goes to show.

That being said, you do need to be a bit savvy about what you buy from eBay.

Soldato
People still use eBay to buy stuff worth over £10? It's fine for cheap stuff but anything of value - no chance.
Yes because we dont live in the stone ages unlike some people on these forums.

A few bad eggs (often easy to spot) out of millions of transactions a day, isnt exactly great logic to write off an entire platform of commerce.

Associate
Not a problem because it's eBay. Bought electronics costing way over 1k and never had issues, but was from well known businesses that also sell on eBay.
In fact, had the bad experience of buying fake microSD cards on Amazon, but not FROM Amazon. But that doesn't make every one selling at Amazon a scammer. Overclockers sells on Amazon too.
But when someone wants to buy a knock-off Ryzen/Intel from China, which clearly is a dummy chip, well... Good luck. When something looks too good to be true, certainly is.

Caporegime
People still use eBay to buy stuff worth over £10? It's fine for cheap stuff but anything of value - no chance.

Ridiculous

I buy most of my stuff from ebay
Then comes amazon

As others have said, ebay customer service (especially as a buyer) is exceptional

I've never had an issue that hasn't been resolved

Soldato
Ended up with a Fake 1050ti instead of a used one from ebay, my own fault I admit. Seller is now trying to offer a replacement and 50% refund.
Not looking for advice as I know what to do and will probably string it out for a while. It was so cheap I don't mind losing a bit for entertainment.
OCUK were given the opportunity to supply some Haribo which is a good outcome :D
Andi.

Why would you lose anything? Report to Ebay as counterfeit, get a full refund, keep the card, leave bad feedback.

Caporegime
Glad you had fun researching the stuff you must be bored!
Andi.

It took all of 30 seconds.

Highlight seller name right click search.

Click on top result.

Look through the listings and then open up the gpu one which is top of the list in a seperate tab to look through properly.

It's not a 3 hour job literally 30 seconds

Soldato
People who buy electronics from eBay :rolleyes:

Retail, members market and maybe gumtree or Facebook marketplace if it’s local and I can collect and see stuff working only for me.
What's wrong with that? I've sold all of my old gpu's, boxed up and like new with even the plastic sticker attached to the backplate. Buyers have been chuffed and I've always been paid.

Caporegime
Buying on ebay absolutely risk free. Last big purchase was nvidia 1080. No problems and cheaper than they were going on members market here.
You'll still be out of pocket for the return postage tho. Which you won't get back, either from eBay or the seller.

And you have to return before eBay will give you a refund.

And the seller can say they received an empty box (has happened where eBay has found in favour of the seller).

The idea that you are completely safe on eBay is contrary to my personal experience. I've ended up out of pocket and having wasted a lot of time.

It's not just fakes either. Sellers will send damaged/faulty goods and claim you must have broken them yourself. Good luck convincing eBay you didn't.

If they're a "premium seller" you'd be surprised how hard it is to convince eBay you didn't damage that motherboard...

Man of Honour
You'll still be out of pocket for the return postage tho. Which you won't get back, either from eBay or the seller.

And you have to return before eBay will give you a refund.

And the seller can say they received an empty box (has happened where eBay has found in favour of the seller).

The idea that you are completely safe on eBay is contrary to my personal experience. I've ended up out of pocket and having wasted a lot of time.

It's not just fakes either. Sellers will send damaged/faulty goods and claim you must have broken them yourself. Good luck convincing eBay you didn't.

If they're a "premium seller" you'd be surprised how hard it is to convince eBay you didn't damage that motherboard...

I'm surprised people use ebay for the most part any more - the odd exception aside I can usually find the same item for just a little more money elsewhere with a much better guarantee of not being ripped off.

Friends and family use ebay still all the time and while it has generally been OK they've lost more over the years from when they have been ripped off than they've saved over just spending a little more elsewhere.

Soldato

Incorrect. eBay gave sent me a packed label, paid for by the seller, on the two or three times something has been wrong.

I'm surprised people use ebay for the most part any more - the odd exception aside I can usually find the same item for just a little more money elsewhere with a much better guarantee of not being ripped off.

Friends and family use ebay still all the time and while it has generally been OK they've lost more over the years from when they have been ripped off than they've saved over just spending a little more elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I don't use it a lot these days, but I have about 800 feedback, which I would think means I've been involved in about 1,000 - 1,500 transactions (cause not everyone leaves feedback) and I don't think I can recall one time I've been out of pocket as a buyer. Once or twice as a seller, but not for large amounts. Yes, there are risks involved, but as a buyer the risks are very small.

Back
Top Bottom