Keyless entry cars - signal blocker box - do you have one? / would you recommend

Soldato
It would be interesting to see how many vehicles are actually stolen with using these sort of devices and not just home owners/car owners trying to get around insurance when the actual fact is that the car was insecure or the house was insecure and just used the keys.

I am yet to come across any of these devices used in a vehicle theft.

Man of Honour
I doubt a Seat Leon diesel is going to be a major theft target so I wouldn’t bother. I’ve never bothered about it with my Focus. It’s a 62 plate Zetec S so also nothing special.

Man, what a thing to say. Come on, don’t be a turd all your life. As said above, a very subtle way of putting down the guys purchase

Soldato
@OP - Hope you enjoy it!

personally, i would contact your insurance company and ask if your covered if the keys are stolen from your house or your car is stolen without the keys (signal booster trick) if yes, dont bother buying a signal blocker because they would be coming in the house to steal your keys, so let them take it without the confrontation
I'd be amazed if any insurance company tried that on mainstream cars! There is always the reasonable care of your keys but that relates to not leaving keys in the car, and not dealing with a stolen key for weeks and then it being used to steal the car.

If they did start doing this, it would be a nightmare, the relay trick can be used anywhere you are out of the car (most often used in car parks). Mind you, it is a bit of an obvious design flaw (hind sight is wonderful!) which you'd hope manufacturers can figure out how to overcome!

I personally just don't think about it and as mentioned above, enjoy the convenience of it!
I

Soldato
OP
Man, what a thing to say. Come on, don’t be a turd all your life. As said above, a very subtle way of putting down the guys purchase

I get what hes saying and im not taken aback/offended.
This has less boy racer appeal from the likes of a fiesta/focus ST (should have seen some chavvy guys i saw enquiring about a fiesta st in the showroo. ! :D).

Similarly probably less appeal than a seat leon FR. Also less value/cost than a jag f type /porsche /similar.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We put our keys in a tin in the hall to help avoid relay theft, but i would not hide the keys no intention of getting my head kicked in. I'm sure the insurance would try everything to avoid paying out 70k or whatever but i've done all i reasonably can to protect the keys.

Associate
Useless feature. Almost impossible to avoid now.
At least Mercedes offers the option to stop the key from transmitting, simply by a double-click.
Some Faraday bags are fine. We are useless. 100% safe, inside a microwave oven. Just make sure to not start it with the keys inside. ;)

Caporegime
I get what hes saying and im not taken aback/offended.
This has less boy racer appeal from the likes of a fiesta/focus ST (should have seen some chavvy guys i saw enquiring about a fiesta st in the showroo. ! :D).

Similarly probably less appeal than a seat leon FR. Also less value/cost than a jag f type /porsche /similar.
No offence was meant so I’m glad you didn’t take any. :)

Associate
I have a Focus ST with keyless entry, i just use a faraday pouch that my keys live in whilst at home and also have the visual deterrent of a steering lock on the car, plus a have a dog which should help with burglaries.

Soldato
It would be interesting to see how many vehicles are actually stolen with using these sort of devices and not just home owners/car owners trying to get around insurance when the actual fact is that the car was insecure or the house was insecure and just used the keys.

I am yet to come across any of these devices used in a vehicle theft.

Quite a lot have been taken this way. Chavs walk around at night with a signal booster seeing what they can open up with it.

The other way is jamming the signal so they dont lock and hope the owner doesnt notice.

Soldato
Quite a lot have been taken this way. Chavs walk around at night with a signal booster seeing what they can open up with it.

The other way is jamming the signal so they dont lock and hope the owner doesnt notice.

I don't quite think your common chav has access to the kind of sophisticated equipment used for relay attack. This is the kind of thing that serious organised criminal gangs are using.

Underboss
I have a Focus ST with keyless entry, i just use a faraday pouch that my keys live in whilst at home and also have the visual deterrent of a steering lock on the car, plus a have a dog which should help with burglaries.

Steering wheel lock is a good idea, but that kinda renders the keyless entry (for you) useless/pointless

Theres a high spec jag 4x4 thing on my street, they clamp the back wheel

Soldato
As a SEAT Leon FR owner myself (lest I be accused of trying to put-down your purchase), I personally wouldn't bother. If you live in an area which has seen a spate of vehicle thefts and/or burglaries it may be a different matter, but even then for the most part the groups involved are targeting specific vehicles (or at least looking for them), and a Leon isn't top of their list.

Plus the forum's resident purveyor of misinformation seems to think it's a good idea, so that should tell you all you need to know.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom