I don't really know what I'm doing!! Play along!!

Soldato
So, I'm putting together a new PC and updating my whole setup...

Going from this:

MqaB5Wj.jpg

It was put together christ knows how many years ago. Bullet points are that it's an i5 3570K, a second hand GTX 970, 16 Gb of slow second hand RAM, all wrapped up in a huge and ugly case, with a 24 inc 60Hz screen...

It's also loud, I mean, LOUD.

It's served me really well for donkeys years, but it's time to upgrade.

4fU4fOj.jpg

Now, I've built and upgraded all my computers for the last 15 years, so I'm not completely uselss here, but that's a sum total of three or four computers and as you can tell the last one was probably six or even seven years ago!

So, I'm going to post updates and pics as I go, and any tips and advice people can throw my way would be very gratefully accepted.

Physically assembling it will hopefully be OK, but then setting it up properly, making sure I have the right BIOS settings etc is defineitely something I'll need pointers on.

I think it's going to be a long night!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
First off, let's have a butchers inside the old girl...

ANUMOsw.jpg

Feels bad!! :( (and yes, that's a CPU fan hanging off because the rubber attachment has aged and fallen apart!!)

So, got rid of everything, and increased the desk space first...

ljDQajM.jpg

Good start, but I'm starving. Thankfully, the fish and chip van just arrived \o/

ARQ0PBH.jpg

Soldato
OP
Ok, immediately love the case!!

Much smaller and much more subtle than the old one...

sEYbDBm.jpg

Attention to detail is awesome. The case cables are so nicely managed quite literally out of the box.

1pN0Qqb.jpg

(don't worry, I won't be too gratuitous with the rest of the pics, but I'm genuinely impressed with the case already...)

Soldato
OP
OK, first stupid question... I can't find the information elsewhere...

Two M.2 slots on here. I've got a 500 Gb drive for the OS, and a 1Tb drive that will effectively be a Steam/game drive.

Is there any specific slot that the OS drive should be used in?

aULp2E3.jpg

Ta

Soldato
OP
So...

Contraversial, I know, but I went with the 'use a gloved finger to spread the kryonaut' method on the CPU...

K3wQ5Qz.jpg

Then I remembered that no matter which way I'd done it, someone would tell me I'm an idiot and i shoud have done an 'X', or a pea sized blob, or that you should sling loads on, or as little as possible... The E-anxiety brought on one or two of these.

5BWcddJ.jpg

Finally, the board was slung together enough to bung into the case.

44YKVGg.jpg

After having a complete ball ache getting the motherboard to line up with the case, it's in...

wQ9tccS.jpg

My issue now, is that I have two case fans, and zero clue where to plug the buggers in?!?

Permabanned
I dunno weather to laugh or cry at the cost of that hardware and you pull out two cans of red stripe :D

The cpu fan goes to the cpu fan header and the case fan will go to the case fan header. This is why you read the manual. If you have more than one case fan then you got 2 choices. Disconnect one or get a fan controller kit that allows multiple fans attached. (Unless your board has multiple fan headers of course. Not seen any of these though!

That cpu paste should have been spread out with a card IMO not a blob personally. I just use a debit card (the non chip side) then wash it after works fine. Or something else with a nice edge.

Back
Top Bottom