Knock Knock - Trick or Treat! What do you do?

Associate
We probably have 100-200 kids come around, maybe more. People travel from nearby towns as we live in quite a big neighbourhood in the middle of nowhere. It’s not unusual to see pickups with kids packed in the bed or quad bikes pulling trailers full of kids. Everyone usually sits outside their house giving out sweets or leave a bucket with sweets in for people to help themselves.

if you want to be a miserable sod you turn your porch light off and no one comes to your house.

So if you don't want to celebrate some ridiculous American tradition, you are a 'Miserable sod'?

Soldato
I did it for the first time last year when I was still living at my mum's. I was shocked at how polite the kids were when it came to taking sweets. I had bought a few different selection bags where it was individual sweets like a lollipop or a gummy eyeball.

They were only taking one thing and when I'd say "it's ok just take a handful" they looked at me like :eek: :D

They said thanks, as did the parents. I also heard them coming up to the door and saying "there's a pumpkin in the window, that means we can knock right?!" Once I took the pumpkin away no one knocked on the door.

I'm pretty sure the police suggest putting up a sign to say no trick or treaters please and it seems to have worked in the last few years.

Now I've moved I've been undecided whether to do it. That said I have a big block of council type flats near me so I'm thinking i probably will to save any potential eggs on my door :p

Soldato
That said I have a big block of council type flats near me so I'm thinking i probably will to save any potential eggs on my door :p

Eggs on your door? That's tame. In some areas around here they have been known to slash all four tyres and graffiti the car with spray paint. Regardless of whether or not it's your car that's parked outside.

Soldato
We've just moved into our new house and I'm a bit of sucker for decorating things! I've bought a few of those multipack of sweets but feel it won't be enough!

Associate
Even though I live on a street near the infant school in my village, nobody has knocked on my door for the past couple of Halloweens as I can't be bothered with putting up decorations... people in our village respect that if a house doesn't have decorations for Halloween, you don't bother the people inside.
Always have a few sweets at the ready just in case someone does knock but they end up being snacks for the following week.

@Scania Those dogs just looks like warm cuddly pillows to me, wouldn't put me off at all.

Soldato
We didn't have any last year which was surprising in a new build estate but more people moved in so not sure this year, not a lot of kids about though. I actually hate Halloween so just lights off and hide in the bedroom, potentially go and see a film so we aren't in anyway.

Soldato
We go out each Halloween - usually cinema if possible (off to see Doctor Sleep this week). I've got no interest at all in some American holiday that means absolutely nothing here in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom