1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knock Knock - Trick or Treat! What do you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noizeuk, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Uther

Capodecina

The kids just tend to knock on the doors with lights on/decorations. We don't get much bother nowadays, used to be much worse a few years ago.

2. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Was the same at our old place in NE London : no Halloween decorations = no knock.

Always organised groups of younger kids with all dressed up in spooky costumes with parents keeping an eye on things from the pavement. All from the neighbourhood, so my wife knew them all from when she worked at the local school.

3. Scam

Capodecina

We live in a first floor flat with Americans downstairs. Safe to say we let them go at it and don't bother even moving if our doorbell goes :p

4. Geodude97AD

Gangster

I put a few tubs of sweets on the doorstep and let they help themselves.

5. wedrum

Mobster

[​IMG]

6. bakes0310

Capodecina

Never took part in this American holiday funny enough.

7. krooton

Caporegime

My wife is really excited for her first proper Halloween, 3 pumpkins carved, loads of sweets (thanks Costco) and decorations up.

8. Street

Soldato

I had the Jehovahs round the other day. My dog took an instant liking to the poor girl who'd knocked at the door and came barrelling out to see her. She pretty much just threw the leaflet at me and ran away, I don't think she was a dog person.

9. AHarvey

Sgarrista

Same in our town, Pumpkin = please knock on.

We have pumpkins and we give treats.

I can't see the issue with it, it's one night a year, it's a nice thing for the local community kids. We get a handful of people knock on and we take our kids out too.

10. Conscript

Sgarrista

Usually I'm content just to ignore Halloween and not participate. As with someone else above, my living room is at the back of the house so I just turn the lights off at the front and ignore it. I also have two dogs would get excited by the doorbell, so I'd rather not have it going off all night.
    However, given that last Halloween cost me £400 due to some mouth breathers vandalising my car, I actively despise it and have half a mind to camp out on the driveway with a pickaxe in case they come back for another try this year :mad:

11. Rossi~

Capodecina

Same here.

Though, they're unlikely to come out to us anyway, a little out the way.

12. Dugganator

Wise Guy

My area turns into mini America on Halloween but we live very close to an infants and Juniors school. We don't mind as we have kids who love this time of year, sadly my dogs will bark the house down for most of the evening while everyone knocks the door. The unwritten rule is that you only knock doors of people that have Halloween stuff in there window or outside the house. Its shame that it couldn't actually be a real rule so that people don't have to put up with random kids knocking their door if they don't want to be disrupted.

13. Jez

Caporegime

We dont usually get any other than pre arranged visits from friends in my sons class who come out of their way with their parents, as we are a little off the beaten track. For his sake though, we put pumpkins out and have sweets ready, we sometimes get 1-2 unarranged groups from the village.

14. Nasher

Capodecina

When we were kids we used to open the door and gat people with BB guns like something from Pulp Fiction. Not sure I'd get away with it these days :D

15. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

No, you're an ignorant and miserable sod. It's originally a British custom.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-treating

As above...

16. 200sols

Mobster

We do a few pumpkins up and the local kids visit, usually about 10 groups. Its normally young kids with adults waiting back. We hand them the sweets though or the greedy gits take em all...

17. Kelt

Capodecina

Who's the Kamp Kommandent, Himmler? :p

18. .:MBK:.

Mobster

As with any village some on the parish can get a bit that way :p

19. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Fortunately where I live you get left alone unless you put decorations up.

20. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Luckily there aren't many kids around here and the odd one or two that does come knocking get's ignored. Yet another American thing that the supermarkets love to push!!