Argos - book of dreams.

Associate
OP
I remember as a kid I used to drool over AIWA Hi-Fis

Same here too - parents eventually bought one from Curry's in the late eighties. We had a Goodman's system before this so it was a decent upgrade in quality! I dare say I could probably find the Goodman's one in the Argos catalogue.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Those catalogues bring back some good memories...I saw the 3 light studio mount I had put on my bedroom ceiling as a 14yo. I'm still looking for my Casio multfunction watch.

Caporegime
Those golden mini-carriage clocks are a blast from the past. Something simultaneously so utterly naff, yet apparently so aspirational (judging from them being featured on the cover of at least two early catalogues).
My grandad was given an engraved one as a retirement present when he retired from being a milkman.

I can spot most of my Nan and grandads flats contents in old Argos catalogues, even the mock log effect electric fire.

Caporegime
It is crazy how seeing those covers instantly brings back memories. I can remember begging my parents for the Menacer gun for the mega drive and looking at that page in the 1993 book brought it all flossing back. Amazing how one little thing can trigger a distant memory.

Soldato
It is crazy how seeing those covers instantly brings back memories. I can remember begging my parents for the Menacer gun for the mega drive and looking at that page in the 1993 book brought it all flossing back. Amazing how one little thing can trigger a distant memory.

Firing tomatoes at Toejam and Earl!

I found mine, boxed in the loft when my parents sold their house. Was worth less than i'd hoped :(

Soldato
Amazing! I was a sad child but something brought me joy searching through the pages. Typically i'd start from the back as that's where the cool stuff was but there was something magical about browsing through an Argos mag. Bought many of my first things from there. My first Alba CD Walkman with Anti-Skip which definitely didn't stop skipping. Then a few years later I got my first Minidisc player from there but it was one of the ones you could connect to your computer and rewrite the minidisc (poor format never stood a chance) and then my first 512Mb MP3 player.

Tend not to use them much these days but during the 90s and even early 00s they were ace.

Soldato
The prices are so expensive, how did people afford anything back in those days. £140 quid for a Hitachi trk 3d88 GHETTOBLASTER WITH super woofer. Would be around £300 nowadays.

3D88-Two.jpg

Back
Top Bottom