Argos - book of dreams.

Went through the ‘94 one with ms. Nitefly this morning. Our favourites were big big loader, Spirograph and mr frosty.

My parents never got me mr frosty. He’s so fun, he makes drinks for everyone! He was only £15 - I asked for that for 5 years. Never came. We went to Disney world and parents couldn’t even pay £15 more to make me happy. Cheapo *****.

My parents never got me mr frosty. He’s so fun, he makes drinks for everyone! He was only £15 - I asked for that for 5 years. Never came. We went to Disney world and parents couldn’t even pay £15 more to make me happy. Cheapo *****.

Damn that's cold.

Look at those prices though!!! £229 for that Nokia 6238i!

Seriously, and people say phones are expensive today, you get much better value for money today.

Think we have had similar threads before, but Argos have made available all of their old catalogues - love looking back at the gadgets and toys from the 80's when I was only knee high:

http://argosbookofdreams.co.uk/

Is this a new site because the Book Of Dreams has been online for many years but it bought up all type of malware warnings.
In fact I posted a link at least a decade ago and it got removed.

Those bring back some memories. I've had so much tat from those catalogues over the years. They should be called the "book of landfill".

Had a look through the 94 catalogue and bought back memories of some of the toys I had as a kid. Also surprised by the prices, with inflation those prices would be about double in todays money and it looks my parents spent a bloody fortune on things that quickly got forgotten :eek: (saying that some of those toys are now being used by grankids so they are getting some added value out of them :o )

Loved my crash test dummies car, that got used loads until I slowly lost more and more bits from "dramatic" crashes :D

Went through the ‘94 one with ms. Nitefly this morning. Our favourites were big big loader, Spirograph and mr frosty.

Dunno if this makes it better or worse, but we've bought my daughter a Mr Frosty for Christmas this year.

Do Argos even do the full size catalogue anymore? I went into my local Argos this week to collect an eBay parcel and I was going to pick up a catalogue too, as I always think there is more enjoyment flicking through the pages than endless scrolling online, as I've never had one for years. Unfortunately they had none, just the thin Christmas book, so picked one of those up anyway. Even that is not a patch on the Christmas books of the early noughties.

Funny how there is an era jump around 1999 with the covers before that looking markedly like they are from a different time while the one since then superficially could all be this year.

The World 2.0.

The biggest jump is early/mid 90s. I think Pagemaker/Quark Xpress, Photoshop and Mac II made the biggest difference. The good old days :)

Last edited:
So, turns out this is a thing! http://argosbookofdreams.co.uk/

Every edition of the Argos Catalouge for your perusal!

But... the one question that really needs answered is...

Did you start at:
1) The front of the book (like your gran looking for jewellery)
2) The back of the book (like the total boss, to check out all the toys)
3) Random page (because you like to live life on the edge)
4) The index (and that's why you become an accountant)

Poll?

EDIT: It should be pointed out that this website was made for your gran :(
EDIT2: Sorry, got carried away with excitement and didn't search! Never spotted this when it was originally posted - please remove.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom