Audio Books

Associate
How about:
Don Quixote was very good and funny.
Missionary Position - Christopher Hitches was an eyeopener; about Mother Theresa.
The Magic of Reality - Dawkins - great for teenagers too.

Associate
I'd definitely recommend taking a look in to local libraries, they have a online subscription thing which is free. Not one in my area though unfortunately.

Audible is great but I found that I didn't listen enough to justify the subscription.

Soldato
I cycle to work, so this has been a great way for me to consume books whilst I have a bit of dead time to and from work.
So far I've listened to:
Red Rising 1-5
Fingerprints of the Gods,
Next is Factfulness

Associate
Surely you can get apps that read text out loud, without having to pay for audio book subs? You can even change the voice, like with sat nav - steven hawkins, mr t, indian lady, scottish male, darth vader etc

Caporegime
The one that turned me on to audio books was:

"11-22-63
One of the more recent Stephen King audiobooks on this list, 11-22-63 is King’s sci-fi alternate history novel in which Jake Epping, a 35-year-old English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, goes back in time to stop the Kennedy assassination. 11-22-63 is consistently praised for its story, its meticulous research, and Craig Wasson’s awesome narration. This one clocks in at 30 hours and 40 minutes, which at this point in the list probably feels like nothing to you. You got this."

He's very, very good. He's also done some James Ellroy and John Grisham work so one out of two isn't bad.

Associate
Like some have said it depends on the voice of the narrator, some I can't stand and switch off pretty fast.

Audible was my audio book company of choice but it is pretty expensive for what you get, I've started using PDF-to-Text apps instead that work pretty good.

Caporegime
Like some have said it depends on the voice of the narrator, some I can't stand and switch off pretty fast.

Audible was my audio book company of choice but it is pretty expensive for what you get, I've started using PDF-to-Text apps instead that work pretty good.

Wouldn't that be read in a robotic/synthetic voice? Part of the value of Audible is when they have good narrators who add to the characters/emotion.

Soldato
OP
I tried "We are Legion" but just couldn't get into it and got a refund, which is a really great option from Audible. I'm currently listening to "The Institute" by Stephen King, and really enjoying it.

Man of Honour
[..]
Master and Commander series, there are 21, I am about half way, book 2 was ok but the rest are great.

As an aside, I recommend the film based on those books ("Master and Commander: Far Side of the World"). It's messing about with plotlines from several books, which I normally dislike, but it's a superbly made and acted film with meticulous attention to detail by all concerned. For example, they had a ship built from period plans. By hand, to make sure it looked right. The actors spent enough time training to be able to genuinely crew the ship and did so. Etc, etc. 3 historians were asked to review the film and the biggest historical flaw they noted was that the enemy ship wasn't really the correct style for a French ship of that type and that time and looked more like an American ship. The enemy ship was French in the film, but it was American in the books and that's what the film maker was going on.

Soldato
I use Audible for my son - he likes to listen to books when he's going to sleep.
The only problem is he gets through one book every 2 days, so now every time I want to return a book for a new one, I need to go through the help chat for them to do it for it me :mad:

Man of Honour
I tried "We are Legion" but just couldn't get into it and got a refund, which is a really great option from Audible. I'm currently listening to "The Institute" by Stephen King, and really enjoying it.
I really enjoyed the Bobiverse Trilogy. Theoretically possible science and even a future for earth, with a little sillyness.

Associate
As an aside, I recommend the film based on those books ("Master and Commander: Far Side of the World"). It's messing about with plotlines from several books, which I normally dislike, but it's a superbly made and acted film with meticulous attention to detail by all concerned. For example, they had a ship built from period plans. By hand, to make sure it looked right. The actors spent enough time training to be able to genuinely crew the ship and did so. Etc, etc. 3 historians were asked to review the film and the biggest historical flaw they noted was that the enemy ship wasn't really the correct style for a French ship of that type and that time and looked more like an American ship. The enemy ship was French in the film, but it was American in the books and that's what the film maker was going on.

+1 it is a cracker of a movie and what led me to the audio books. They are read by Rick Jerrom who is amazing.

Soldato
OP
I've finished The Institute, which was enjoyable. I'm now looking to pick up something else and it's really highlighting how expensive the books on Audible are.

11.22.63 is £18 on Audible.
The Kindle book is £4.99 and I can add audio narration for £3.99. :confused:

It feels like a con to promote the subscription model.

Edit: actually, the "enhanced" edition in the Kindle store is £3.99 and looks like it includes the audio version. This is confusing.

Soldato
Just signed up for the free trial and picked mythos narrated by Stephen fry. So for £8 a month you get a credit to spend on one book. That seems alright as the audio books seem expensive, mythos would have cost £20 if i didn't get a free credit.

Soldato
OP
Kindle audio narration is abysmal. It's nothing like having a real person reading the book to you.

Sorry, my bad. It's the Audible version for £3.99. This makes more sense for me as it's the cost of a month's subscription yet I get the Kindle book as well as the Audible version, meaning I can switch between the two. I would actually prefer this as I'd rather read the Kindle version in bed as I keep going asleep with the narration!

xghCBPf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom