Road Cycling

Soldato
Well I’m getting a Kinesis T3. Won the 60cm frame on eBay. £112 inc postage, so half the price of a new frame.
Great find & result, congrats!

What's the deepest section fork people have fitted raceblades to? I have a very chunky giant aerofork I might want to fit some to (it's an early 2000s burrows giant TCR like ONCE used to ride)
Fitted the XL's to a Carrera Virtuoso 2011, Giant Defy 1 2015 & Liv Avail 5 2015. Deepest forks probably the Defy, but not as deep as the TCR. The Defy required the longest guard mounts to fit the rear, I think they did on the Avail too.

Is there any reason to choose a GXP crank over a BB30?

I guess GXP will have slightly larger bearings so potentially more durable. Apart from that I am drawing a blank.
Correct on the bearings but you have to watch the crank spindle length as you've found out.

Getting a BB that threads together (Wheelsmfg) you can account for some variation, while also having lots of spacer options. They generally have spacers for the frame:BB interface and the spindle available. So you can space it how & where you want...

Might be worth seeing if there's a DUB option? See that mentioned as a better modern alterative to GXP?

Bottom brackets:
BB86 is 86.5mm wide, 41mm ID.
PF30 is 68mm wide, 46mm ID.
BB30 is 68mm wide 42mm ID.

Crank spindles:
GXP is 24mm diameter with step down to 22mm diameter. Long enough for BB86.
BB30 is 30mm diameter. Long enough for 68mm BB and generally BB386 but not BB86.

Just realised today I can see the front brake caliper in front of the bars... Vertical line down from my sternum intersects the head tube... Think the bike might be too small?! (I do BTW:D)
That or you have a short stem and/or your forks mounted the wrong way around?! :D ;)

I managed to find my own answer!

On my P3 I use a Rotor BB1 which allows a 30mm spindle, however the crank spindle length has to be long enough as the bearings are a little wider.

I have Rotor cranks on my P3 so it’s not an issue, but it could be with other cranks.

So it would work but could be a minefield.
It is a minefield. Just check and double check each of your 'dimensions' (as that's where I came unstuck, anyone want a PF30 BB?). Spindle length. BB width. BB 'depth'. Bearing ID.

hambini (youtuber) recently did a video on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkAxXNYzBGg
but be advised his language is abit rough/extreme.
Haha he can be a little bit blue but I wouldn't call his language extreme...

I've watched quite a few of his videos and whilst he has a point in quite a few of his rants (poorly manufactured frames for bottom bracket fittment being one), the way he goes about it is pathetic and comes across as very arrogant. I think he has a far too high opinion of his own knowledge and his conclusions are somewhat dubious at times.
I like him and the way he vlogs/blogs. Yes he can be full of himself, but his experience and enthusiasm for using that experience to judge cycling frame/wheel/etc manufacture is great. I really like his no-nonsense and calling out brands, he really doesn't care who nor about the backlash. That's great. The cycle industry needs more people like him as there's far too much marketing bulls*t, blind eyes turned and total complete ignorance of quality, accurate information and meaningful research. He does soemtimes come to some conclusions without many 'answers' or solutions, but I see that as good. Makes him seem less biased. I'm still not utterly convinced he isn't, as at times it seems like he can focus a little too much on some brands (like his dislike of Hunt & Flo in his wheel aerodynamics post).

But then he also rides Specialized, Cervelo and Zipp. Some of them have a far from good reputation when it comes to quality components and manufacture. You'd think someone like him would be riding more bespoke frames & wheels more inline with his engineering accuracy background...?

Last edited:
Soldato
Great find & result, congrats!
But then he also rides Specialized, Cervelo and Zipp. Some of them have a far from good reputation when it comes to quality components and manufacture. You'd think someone like him would be riding more bespoke frames & wheels more inline with his engineering accuracy background...?

I like him a lot. And when its time to replace some of my BB's i'll be buying some of his stuff. I really like his ceramic/steel BB explanations which a breath of fresh air.

I havent seen his Spec bike but he's got the same BMC bike as me.

I guess he's kinda stuck in some ways. While he doesn't believe in all the science claims, some of the main wheel/bike producers do produce good items...which have a resale value. That might be why he has them as more bespoke stuff is harder to sell on.

Soldato
I like him and the way he vlogs/blogs. Yes he can be full of himself, but his experience and enthusiasm for using that experience to judge cycling frame/wheel/etc manufacture is great. I really like his no-nonsense and calling out brands, he really doesn't care who nor about the backlash. That's great. The cycle industry needs more people like him as there's far too much marketing bulls*t, blind eyes turned and total complete ignorance of quality, accurate information and meaningful research. He does soemtimes come to some conclusions without many 'answers' or solutions, but I see that as good. Makes him seem less biased. I'm still not utterly convinced he isn't, as at times it seems like he can focus a little too much on some brands (like his dislike of Hunt & Flo in his wheel aerodynamics post).

I agree that you need people to call out BS marketing and poor manufacturing but I would rather his work do the tallking. Show the research and the evidence and let the data do the talking, there is no need to call people that he doesnt know the "C" word.

I remember I watched one of his videos on wheel aerodynamics and he was questioning why wheel manufacturers werent using the NACA aerofoil profile, apart from the fact its not a shape that lends itself to be manufactured into a wheel rim but said that Mavic were the closest, yet in all the independant wind tunnel tests Ive yet to see a set of Mavics win and judging by Hambini's theories it should have won by a clear margin and no other wheel manufacturer should come close.

Associate

i think that's how he started off. I remember coming across his earlier videos and he started off this custom/bespoke bottom bracket business because his Cervelo was no good.

I agree that you need people to call out BS marketing and poor manufacturing but I would rather his work do the tallking. Show the research and the evidence and let the data do the talking, there is no need to call people that he doesnt know the "C" word.

I remember I watched one of his videos on wheel aerodynamics and he was questioning why wheel manufacturers werent using the NACA aerofoil profile, apart from the fact its not a shape that lends itself to be manufactured into a wheel rim but said that Mavic were the closest, yet in all the independant wind tunnel tests Ive yet to see a set of Mavics win and judging by Hambini's theories it should have won by a clear margin and no other wheel manufacturer should come close.

to certain extend, that's what we are seeing. Look at hambini's wheel testing blog entry. the 60mm CXR are challenging the 80mm wheels.

i also agree that we do need someone like him to shake up the marketing department every now and then.

but i found it interesting that he changed his tone in recent months about swissside. Mainly after he claimed he spoke to the founder of swisside.

one thing im looking forward to is his explanation on the 3-spoke wheel coming top spot in the results. On two occasions i have asked him about the 3-spoke wheel (before he tested them) in his commention section and once on weightweenie, he replied and explained the traditional design will be better in real life application, but yet his test which supposed to represent real life situation still points towards 3-spoke wheel being superior. Although he did mention, it depends on the aerodynamic interaction between the wheel and the fork, so may be he got a fork that is well suited for the 3-spoke wheel.

Soldato
I like him a lot. And when its time to replace some of my BB's i'll be buying some of his stuff. I really like his ceramic/steel BB explanations which a breath of fresh air.
I recently bought NTN bearings from him as he had quick delivery and then was also quick to respond when I had a question over mixing seals (LLU & LLB's). I actually ordered a bearing one night (9pm+) and it came in the post the next day (using his standard delivery), which was fantastic at the time (drifted the inner race out of a cartridge bearing)! Will probably use him again as I'm happy with paying a little extra for a quick delivery.

I guess he's kinda stuck in some ways. While he doesn't believe in all the science claims, some of the main wheel/bike producers do produce good items...which have a resale value. That might be why he has them as more bespoke stuff is harder to sell on.
Lets be honest, as an aeronautics engineer he won't be short of a few pennies so I really doubt resell value was a purchase consideration...! He probably bought them coming into cycling more as things he'd seen other fast riders using, then got into the engineering side of it afterwards. Like the issue he had with his Cervelo lead him into looking at BB's, then producing his own.

I hadn't heard his use of that word, not very professional and totally agree about showing the research, process and diagnosis. I think it's just that I quite like his 'honest' style - far too much marketing and PC stuff these days. Someone not afraid to call out large 'premium' priced products with evidence of bad engineering and relatively down to earth way of describing things (and even demonstrating his processes) gets me on side.

to certain extend, that's what we are seeing. Look at hambini's wheel testing blog entry. the 60mm CXR are challenging the 80mm wheels.

i also agree that we do need someone like him to shake up the marketing department every now and then.

but i found it interesting that he changed his tone in recent months about swissside. Mainly after he claimed he spoke to the founder of swisside.
His aero wheels entry is great, but really interesting how much it has evolved since he released it. I remember when I first read it there where less than 20 wheelsets on there and thinking 'he needs more'. Now there's a bunch and it's the opposite - it looks cluttered!

So many wheelsets in there coming 'higher up' than they should be (Borg, FFWD & Bontrager to name a few) compared to some of the more top end setups. I was really quite shocked how low down some of those really premium 'aero' wheelsets came (Zipp especially, look how low the 454 NSW's, 808's & 404's come).

Hadn't spotted that about swisside & look forward to his information around the trispoke. I think we all know why it's generally faster, but will be good to see some numbers and testing around to how much benefit it should give in more 'normal' conditions.

I see he has an entry on there now for the PX rear disk combination along with the aliexpess trispoke & rear disk, really interesting considering how 'budget' they both are! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
I see he has an entry on there now for the PX rear disk combination along with the aliexpess trispoke & rear disk, really interesting considering how 'budget' they both are! :o

disc makes a big difference, and the only meaningful difference between an expensive disc and a cheap one is weight.

Associate
this is where i asked about the 3-spoke wheel:
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...sid=7c3e2f77cb92778f33f9a4267380ada9#p1501038

his reply:

I am highly critical of wind tunnel tests that many cycling companies carry out because they try and model very erratic random outside conditions in an inert wind tunnel environment. Critically, they do a good job at convincing people. Call me a cynic but I see lots of "school kids" who are in the early to mid twenties who are fresh from university and think the wind tunnel is the be all and end all of testing. I regularly send graduates that I train to the field to learn the difference.

Generally, a disc wheel will always be faster than any deep section wheel. This is not in any way due to the profile, it is due to the controlling nature of a solid surface. On a disc, the entire surface is solid and air cannot penetrate it and therefore be disturbed by it. In contrast, a rim has a detachment point at the rim, spokes and a hub to further churn up the airflow and then reattachment or disturbance at the rear.

When you get to 2 or 3 spoke wheels, these are generally used on the front wheel. The general guidance I would give is based on two factors - how fast you can go and how windy it is. At above 50km/h sustained speed, then a 2/3 spoke will be faster but if you are going slower than that or it is windy, you may have a job steering.

In a wind tunnel, the 2/3 spoke wheel will be perceived to be faster but that does not take into account the local and global vectors of wind.

Hope that helps
Hambini

im interested in more in-depth explanation as most 3-spoke wheels are 60-80mm depth. since Hambini said depth is king, which means, 3 spoke in combination with disc should be similar to say, 80mm + disc, but his results show nearly had it beaten by another 10w.

I heard his attack on the Cervelo engineer I think it was? Guy does seem like a c word.

You'd hate to hear the bunch when we're out if his language is colourful. :D
lol, it's different when it comes to being recorded!

Soldato
It's fairly clear who Hambini is getting at when he talks about "school kids" yet they are advising elite level (and world record holding) time triallists and pursuiters and he is... not. That's why he's a bit of a berk (aside from a lot of his testing methods being highly questionable).

Soldato
Branched out. Ordered Kinesis build parts from Bike24 & Mantel.

Both shipped within 12 hours of ordering and were cheaper than anywhere in the UK (and that’s with a pants £:€!).

Gone for a SRAM Rival 22 build as with the cheaper prices on the continent it was in budget and keeps all my bikes on Sram.

Will need to get a cockpit/forks from a local place, still have to decide on brakes. The TRP RG957 get great reviews for long drop callipers but are £100! Difficult to know how much better than Shimano 451s they will be at roughly half that.

Fingers crossed they show up end of this week and I can make a start on building.

Soldato
Anyone on here have any personal recommendations for Garmin watch? I could do with one for CX and with black friday coming up want to know which models to keep an eye out for. I know the Garmins are usually discounted and would probably prefer to stay with them as I know how it all works!

Soldato
Its replies like this that make Hambini look rediculous

I am highly critical of wind tunnel tests that many cycling companies carry out because they try and model very erratic random outside conditions in an inert wind tunnel environment. Critically, they do a good job at convincing people. Call me a cynic but I see lots of "school kids" who are in the early to mid twenties who are fresh from university and think the wind tunnel is the be all and end all of testing. I regularly send graduates that I train to the field to learn the difference.

Of course in reality you want to model conditions in a wind tunnel that mimics the randomness of what it is like outside, but you just cannot scientifically see and make improvements in anything if you dont have repeatable condiitions. This is why the aeronautics industry, F1 etc spend so much money building wind tunnels and and spend hours in testing

Soldato
Great video:

That's so bizarre to watch without any sound... Will have a listen later! :D

ExpressVPN any good? Currently looking for another provider for personal.

It's fairly clear who Hambini is getting at when he talks about "school kids" yet they are advising elite level (and world record holding) time triallists and pursuiters and he is... not. That's why he's a bit of a berk (aside from a lot of his testing methods being highly questionable).
I took his comment as more one aimed at graduates with no/limited real world experience who then end up as the 'experts' running aero tests for bike manufacturers, rather than people actually working with real world aero TT'ers & track riders... There's a reason the HUUB/Wattbike guys caused such a storm. Not only did they shake things up by doing things a differnt way, their aero testing was so accurate/powerful it translated into their real world speeds and results.

Fingers crossed they show up end of this week and I can make a start on building.
Good deals and makes sense to keep everything SRAM. Goodluck with the build! Although £100 for rim calipers sounds stupid money?!

Anyone on here have any personal recommendations for Garmin watch? I could do with one for CX and with black friday coming up want to know which models to keep an eye out for. I know the Garmins are usually discounted and would probably prefer to stay with them as I know how it all works!
Know nothing/very little about watches so I'd always advise/point people to follow DCR's recommendation(s).

Its replies like this that make Hambini look rediculous

Of course in reality you want to model conditions in a wind tunnel that mimics the randomness of what it is like outside, but you just cannot scientifically see and make improvements in anything if you dont have repeatable condiitions. This is why the aeronautics industry, F1 etc spend so much money building wind tunnels and and spend hours in testing
I only partly agree with you - when marketing departments are badging up all the wind tunnel data to justify EVERYTHING to do with their current latest and greatest products, without any recourse, verifying of their data or even real world comparisons then it's a bit of a joke already. Only a few outspoken individuals really standing up against the flow of all this information. Hambini being one of them and probably one of the most current due to his social media presence and outspoken-ness...

Much of it, as you say is 'best case' style testing and has to be in very controlled environments, when we full know well the real world is not even comparable a huge amount of the time. But when you have wheel manufacturers modelling and supplying data to quantify their wheels when they have not even taken spokes into consideration, or the rider, or the fact the riders legs are moving. Then they need calling out. There's nobody else to do it. Competitors won't, the'll just find reasons and particular tests to make their wheels faster, then use that.

Soldato

I've got a ForeRunner 235. Solid, reliable bit of kit. As Roady says, DCR is the place to go for an indepth review. I think the 245 has replaced it but the 235 still is available if you don't need the newer features.

Soldato
I'm really considering some hand indicators, mostly for peace of mind when I'm towing the chariot - it's lit up like a christmas tree and I try to wear gloves with white/fluo on them but just know they're not very visible due to the lights on the chariot attracting any attention of cars following and distracting from my unluminated arms. I have dark gloves I'd prefer to wear in the rain and can't due to my paranoia.

The indik8a is advertised everywhere at the moment but have been unable to find any/many reviews about it. I really like the idea of the Useeme and they've reviewed well, just a bit expensive. Did spot a set on the 'bay but wasn't quick enough to grab them so continuing to watch for them... Any others I should be aware of or anyone with experience in any?

Why don't you have any sound? :eek:
Work PC, no speakers!

Good spot. Great tyre for the money!

Soldato
I've got a ForeRunner 235. Solid, reliable bit of kit. As Roady says, DCR is the place to go for an indepth review. I think the 245 has replaced it but the 235 still is available if you don't need the newer features.

Ta, the 735XT came up today on chainreaction, bit more expensive but seems to have the things I want on it and cover me for the running and swimming i usually end up doing whenever I'm on holiday and away from the bike.

Soldato
Ta, the 735XT came up today on chainreaction, bit more expensive but seems to have the things I want on it and cover me for the running and swimming i usually end up doing whenever I'm on holiday and away from the bike.

I utterly suck at swimming, so can't help on that front. I think it's a weakness of wrist "mounted" optical HRs in general but I had seen my 235 sometimes pickup my running cadence rather than my actual HR.

I had a 310XT before the 235 and the multi-sport function in that was good for adventure racing with transitions.

Back
Top Bottom