The Tesla Thread

Associate
Fair enough, thanks. Tesla have created me an account as details passed on by leasing company but it doesn’t show a model 3 assigned in it. I also have a reservation number but don’t know anymore details.

daz

daz

Soldato
Got a test drive from Westfield on Monday in a Model 3. Looking forward to seeing if it will be a replacement for my GLC43.

Soldato
Going for a test drive tomorrow. Not been in a Tesla other than the X at a showroom so excited to see what it's like to drive.

Primarily looking because we've got a 63 plate diesel that we bought new and I thought we were going to run into the ground but I live and work in the banned/charged area that they're planning for diesel cars. Could look at a petrol but I really like the idea of a Tesla and as a business owner there may be some benefits to the 0% BIK tax coming in in April.

On that, anyone bought one through their business? I've been told you can't claim VAT back if it's a cash purchase but you can claim 50% if it's a lease/contract purchase.

Soldato
The Bristol ban isn’t coming anytime soon so no need to rush. They need the Gov to change the law to implement as well has all the infrastructure to be built out to police it. Can’t see a change in the law happening for some time due to Brexit, it could also be tricky because it isn’t really that well throughout currently.

Soldato
"Wattson" is back with me after nearly 2.5 weeks - and all appears to be sorted....

Andrew at Edinburgh SC has been very good, updates on a regular basis, phone & text, very apologetic about the delay. Internal power conversion unit changed (called the penthouse!) and they had to wait for some plugs/caps from US to come in as well which caused the delays

Currently charging on my home Rolec for about 30 minutes now so all appears to be fixed. Yes it took some time but glad it's sorted.

Model S v Model 3 - S is big, quick but looks old compared to the model 3. I personally find the model 3 more comfortable seats wise. Still don't get why S is double the price of the 3....

Fingers crossed. Did laugh however as they tested on local supercharger as well as a local public AC charger - my account got charged 50p for the supercharging!!! haha

Soldato
The Bristol ban isn’t coming anytime soon so no need to rush. They need the Gov to change the law to implement as well has all the infrastructure to be built out to police it. Can’t see a change in the law happening for some time due to Brexit, it could also be tricky because it isn’t really that well throughout currently.

No course not, but we were 50/50 between swapping it and just running it into the ground. Don't want to be left with a car that nobody wants and therefore the value has dropped significantly, and now is still a good time to get rid (it's a Kia, so 2 years warranty left and only done 50,000).

Anyway, test drive has been cancelled as no car available!

Soldato
Anyway, test drive has been cancelled as no car available!

Got that a few times when I was trying to arrange something.

Bought via my Ltd company - not VAT registered myself so that does mean anything for me

However - first year allowance you can deduct the full cost from your profits before tax if you buy outright. So with car purchase and employer contribution I'm looking at a tiny, if any, corporation tax bill this year.

Soldato
Do you always get a loaner when your car is in for maintenance or repairs? Do they ever get funny about it? I note it's not explicit in the warranty.

Thanks

I've read on the Tesla Motor Club forum that they also give you about £80 worth of Uber credit to use. I think it was per day.

Soldato
Do you always get a loaner when your car is in for maintenance or repairs? Do they ever get funny about it? I note it's not explicit in the warranty.

Thanks

If it's likely to be a longer job then yes, if it's something minor and back the same day, then generally no. Mine was 2.5 weeks so it was a stick on I was needing a loaner.

The Uber credit thing is mainly an America thing.....Uber credit would be no use to me unless I lived in Edinburgh/Glasgow. But it's mainly a US thing

Soldato
Got our 3 back on Monday after 3 days in the workshop to fix delivery issues, had a 17 plate S75D which was very nice but wouldn't tempt me out of my 535d GT given the limited range compared to our 3LR.

Anyway, here's the final list.
  • Bonnet had a chip, 2 dents and poor lacquer finish, they could not fix it so will need to go back for a respray in a body shop. BTW, I was told by delivery team that the bonnet was "within tolerance" which was clearly rubbish but some people would have just accepted it
  • Rear lights are slightly mis-aligned. They could not make them any better, I'll give them a pass on this, we're looking at 1mm out where a load of panels all come together
  • Dirt inclusion in paint, never should have made it through QC but was fixed with a smart repair and looks good
  • Sealant on boot lid by the number plate is excessive. They did nothing as "this is a normal amount of sealant". This is very poor, I have never owned another car with this kind of finish, I will be escalating to the Service Manager on the next visit.
  • Rear door handles not aligned properly. Took me a while to notice this as it was very slightly out, fixed and looks fine now.
  • Squeak from centre console fixed. Car feels so much better now, interior was always pretty much spot it so this is great
  • Steering wheel replaced due to a tiny (less than 1mm) mark on the plastic, I was being pedantic here but it should be perfect on a new car, strange they would replace this but push back on sealant on the boot lid
  • Free frunk (UK so fruit IMO) mat provided as goodwill gesture
  • Rocker (sill) covers on both sides replaced due to transport damage
  • Front bumper realigned to make headlights sit flush. Still not as good as I would like but much better and fine visually (can only really tell when washing car).
  • B-pillar top seal replaced as it was defective

All in all, I am reasonably happy. The staff at the MK Service Centre are as helpful as they can be and the car is greatly improved. I am still very dissatisfied with the general paint finish on the car but I know that I am probably in a minority of people who care. Will see what they can do on the bonnet when it is resprayed as I have been warned that they are normally only allowed to spray the panel and not blend it, hope they can get the colour match perfect!

Soldato
As I'm designated driver next weekend to go visit family in London I thought I'd try one of the nearer Superchargers as it would be my first time and didn't want to find any issues next weekend. Great to drive longish distance with Autopilot but not such a great experience at the Supercharger. Despite having a scheduled charge time set my car decided to charge in the evening so I awoke to a charged but stone cold battery. OK it's 30 miles to the charger so I selected it and the pre-warm message came up. I averaged 320 wh/mi by the time I got there so not too bad having started with a cold battery.

When I got there a day old M3 (I ended speaking to the driver) was just switching between chargers so not a good sign :( I tried the 1st pair and was seeing 25 kw @ 58% so not great. By then an MS was using the 3rd pair so I decided not to squeeze between them as I was only testing.

I assume you just plug in the CCS adaptor and the charge rate is negotiated and there wasn't anything I could have changed to up the power. There was a menu option on my previous i3 to set an overall limit. At home my car usually has no issue charging at 7kw/32A so I can't remember changing anything.

As you can see in the pic below the options were grey and I started before the High-usage message popped up.

wRqBVc0.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Got our 3 back on Monday after 3 days in the workshop to fix delivery issues, had a 17 plate S75D which was very nice but wouldn't tempt me out of my 535d GT given the limited range compared to our 3LR.

Anyway, here's the final list.
  • Bonnet had a chip, 2 dents and poor lacquer finish, they could not fix it so will need to go back for a respray in a body shop. BTW, I was told by delivery team that the bonnet was "within tolerance" which was clearly rubbish but some people would have just accepted it
  • Rear lights are slightly mis-aligned. They could not make them any better, I'll give them a pass on this, we're looking at 1mm out where a load of panels all come together
  • Dirt inclusion in paint, never should have made it through QC but was fixed with a smart repair and looks good
  • Sealant on boot lid by the number plate is excessive. They did nothing as "this is a normal amount of sealant". This is very poor, I have never owned another car with this kind of finish, I will be escalating to the Service Manager on the next visit.
  • Rear door handles not aligned properly. Took me a while to notice this as it was very slightly out, fixed and looks fine now.
  • Squeak from centre console fixed. Car feels so much better now, interior was always pretty much spot it so this is great
  • Steering wheel replaced due to a tiny (less than 1mm) mark on the plastic, I was being pedantic here but it should be perfect on a new car, strange they would replace this but push back on sealant on the boot lid
  • Free frunk (UK so fruit IMO) mat provided as goodwill gesture
  • Rocker (sill) covers on both sides replaced due to transport damage
  • Front bumper realigned to make headlights sit flush. Still not as good as I would like but much better and fine visually (can only really tell when washing car).
  • B-pillar top seal replaced as it was defective

All in all, I am reasonably happy. The staff at the MK Service Centre are as helpful as they can be and the car is greatly improved. I am still very dissatisfied with the general paint finish on the car but I know that I am probably in a minority of people who care. Will see what they can do on the bonnet when it is resprayed as I have been warned that they are normally only allowed to spray the panel and not blend it, hope they can get the colour match perfect!

Wow, anybody would think you’d bought a toaster not an expensive car. So many fit and finish and build issues on Tesla’s. watched a video where a guy was nonchalant accepting he had to reboot his car every day! You just wouldn’t accept this kind of thing from a decent brand. Seems owners accept so many more issues on Tesla’s and still defend the brand to the hilt. Not at yourself particularly mind.

Soldato
Wow, anybody would think you’d bought a toaster not an expensive car. So many fit and finish and build issues on Tesla’s. watched a video where a guy was nonchalant accepting he had to reboot his car every day! You just wouldn’t accept this kind of thing from a decent brand. Seems owners accept so many more issues on Tesla’s and still defend the brand to the hilt. Not at yourself particularly mind.

not disagreeing but you need to consider that Tesla are selling/pumping out 100's of cars a day. Edinburgh is pushing out 15-20 cars a day currently - that's 150 odd cars a week. That's just one place alone.

Some will be good order, some won't - your always going to hear more from the people who aren't happy, than the ones that are happy.

to counter @Del Lardo - mine, as far as I could see, was perfect. The other 5 cars that were picked up at the same time as me in our group - everyone was happy, we checked each others' cars over. So there is 6 cars from my group that were spot on - no one had anything to report.

So don't take one persons comments as a blanket view of the Tesla experience.

Not having a go at you @Del Lardo - obviously you've had issues through no fault of your own. My comments are not aimed at you.

Soldato
@mikeh501 agreed, it's simply not good enough but right now they are the only game in town so they can get away with it. If they can keep their Supercharger network competitive it's going to need a real mass deployment from the likes of Ionity to make the competitive cars viable.

@booyaka the number of cars they're delivering isn't the point, it's the poor quality control that lets cars out, I suspect intentionally, to hit sales targets and worry about the fixes later. I had a very quick look around the 7 other cars when I collected ours. All had noticeable (to me) defects but only one other owner cared, I had a great chat with a M3P owner a few weeks ago when testing the Ionity charger at MK, he'd just had his car ceramic coated, was really pleased and told me that it was perfect and had no faults. I spotted a few problems similar to mine within 2 minutes but I didn't see the point in upsetting him. You may be lucky and have a perfect one or maybe I'm just a pedantic arse and pick up minor faults that very few people see/care about.

It really is frustrating as it's a brilliant car to drive and genuinely feels like driving the future of motoring.

Back
Top Bottom