The Tesla Thread

Soldato
OP
You want something faster than the model S and that has more range than a model S?

As to op why do you find it to good to be true. It's basically a cheaper model S. Partly due to the gigafactory will be online by then cutting battery pack cost by about 1/3

I'm just thinking about Tesla's compared to the other options. As I said I don't know much about them but I think I still look back to when they first were about.

It's quite amazing to see how far they have come and that they are starting to be viable alternatives. The price point also seems to good to be true, if it was £20K then I would definitely be interested. If however it's more like £35K then I'm not sure I would be as interested.

Soldato
OP
It would definitely depend on everyone's own circumstances and usage. For me I would rarely go more than 100 miles in a single day.

If I wanted to go to France and drive long distance I would probably look at hiring a car for a short period depending on prices.

Soldato
OP
Interesting to hear everyone's opinions, I just really hope they stick at the price point and specs mentioned in the article I linked.

Only time will tell I guess :D

Soldato
OP
I'm just hoping that they give plenty of information during the unveiling:

VKXDXTv.png

I know sometimes they can be a bit sparse with the details at these events. Really am considering it at the moment though.

Soldato
OP
Stayed up for the event, really impressed by it. Would be good to know what the actual price will be in the UK after government grants etc.

For me I will wait until release and see my current job status (commuting distance etc). :)

Like others have said I think it's a great step in the right direction for EV's and the interior is really refreshing!

Soldato
OP
part 2 announcement tonight at 00:00 if I got time conversion right (5pm California), something to do with model 3. not expecting anything to big as no live stream. he earlier said unexected but obvious, what ever that means.

Great shout mate! I think it might be 1am for us though?

Cheers :)

Soldato
OP
Just watched the handover event now:

https://youtu.be/BDQgBsXJnJM

From how it sounds I won't be getting mine until 2019 which isn't really news.

Looks great and seems like they have stuck to all of the earlier announcements. Quite a few mentions of the ramp up in production volumes and some of the issues that may arise etc. All to be expected!

Soldato
OP
I used our local park and ride the other day there are 3 charging bays available to EV drivers, (one was blocked as it was not working and then there were 2 Nissan Leaf's parked in the remaining bays, not one of them was actually plugged in and charging :mad:

I know what you mean. It's the same with one of the local train stations. Cars left there almost definitely by commuters for the day as far as I can tell. It makes things a bit ridiculous when you are dealing with a small handful of bays!

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
So tempted to put a deposit on one still but then I keep thinking I should have done it straight away... Obviously can't change that now.

Has anyone else put a deposit on since the handover?

Soldato
OP
i suspect tesla's plans are likely more on the side of a parts supplier than an actual car company, if they can get sufficient battery production rolling to supply to the worlds major car manufacturers then that'll be much more lucrative than trying to compete with them. there's much more to make a car than just the powerplant and the "old guard" are pretty good at all those other bits needed to make a car (ie everything that isn't the engine)

I must admit I hadn't thought of the whole battery supply aspect before. That would make a lot of sense considering the investment.

Back
Top Bottom