Jeans - My Kingdom For A Decent Pair That Dont Need Ironed & 100% Cotton

Associate
Im 50 sigh . For many years my main go to shops were H&M, River Island and Next. Now its Mainly Next. I was always more than happy with the quality of all their clothing i.e pants, socks, t shirts, jumpers, jackets, shoes, jeans, suits. I dont know what you guys think but the quality of Next means clothing has gone right downhill.

Years ago apart from dress shirts, everything could go in the wash and then tumble drier on a low heat and it would be ready to wear if you then put it on a hanger. Now very little comes out the tumbler and is ready to wear. Polo shirts i need to iron the collars. T shirts are lightly creased all over. Jeans are a disaster and need ironed, to improve this i lie them on a flat surface to dry. I hate stretch jeans and these are even worse. Why do these places think i want stretch jeans that i need to iron. I dont want their blooming stretchy underpants either, these are thin and cheap quality.

So guys can you point me in the right direction for where to buy 100% cotton jeans that come out the tumbler 'ready to wear'. Also what about clothes in general that come out the tumbler 'ready to wear'? Im not fussed on labels as long as it looks good and the price is similar to Next or cheaper.

Soldato
Shake them out when wet and hang to dry, only need to iron then if you end up folding them badly after.

I wear g star jeans because they do the length short (30) and width wide (36) lol that I wear and have plenty of stretch.

Soldato
For many years my main go to shops were H&M, River Island and Next. Now its Mainly Next.
I think most high street brands are following the Primark route. Cheaper and cheaper to appeal to the young person's throwaway culture. H&M are ok, but I think you probably just need to look at spending a little more and getting something of better quality. I've noticed even in pricier 'generic high street' shops like Zara (used to fit me well) the quality is abysmal now. Do you have a Uniqlo near you? I buy most of my clothes there.

Soldato
I find Asos own stuff to be of a decent quality. Or Levi's in a sale. Lasts well and they do a large variety of colours and fits for trousers and jeans. You will come across some.. "interesting" designs also. Plus, their simple no questions returns policy is also very good. Also, as you can't just go and try them on, you can find your size on their finder. :)

Commissario
Why are you even washing your jeans, never mind ironing them?

If you must wash them, do it sparingly with cold water and on as quick a wash as you can and then just hang them. I wear 501s and on the very, very rare occasion they get washed, they're just hung dry and they're absolutely fine.

Man of Honour
I think most high street brands are following the Primark route. Cheaper and cheaper to appeal to the young person's throwaway culture. H&M are ok, but I think you probably just need to look at spending a little more and getting something of better quality. I've noticed even in pricier 'generic high street' shops like Zara (used to fit me well) the quality is abysmal now. Do you have a Uniqlo near you? I buy most of my clothes there.

Yeah :( happened to most of the mid-price brands I used to buy - thinner and thinner material and poor fit - only one I've found that still maintains quality and fit is Wrangler but I suspect it is only a matter of time :( and even more expensive brands aren't immune to it.

Permabanned
Not owned a iron in the 25 years since I left home and very rarely does anything need ironed if washed and hung correctly (I do it indoor as I do not like the outdoor smell on them) bar some designer silk shirts that I do not wear much these days but most of my high end clothes are 15-20 years old and the quality was far better then.

IMO its not really wearing that wears clothes its the washing and I always turn them inside out and washed at 40C unless it states otherwise and again the quality was better back then.

Designer jeans were labelled as 40C but normal Levis/wrangler etc back in 80-90's stated 60C and I read they last longer that way as the dye goes into the water and redyes them but not sure if that is true.

I do remember the days when my mum would stand for hours irons including underwear and dish towels only to put them in a drawer, madness.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
People iron jeans?

I barely Iron at all these days - even most of my shirts you only need to hang and they sort themselves out now. Only thing really that comes out wrinkled/scrunched is my long sleeve t-shirts and some formal trousers though IIRC most of my formal stuff is dry clean only.

Back
Top Bottom