Best story in a video game?

Soldato
I installed Mass Effect after reading this thread, but it's so old now that I struggled with it. Could I pick up ME2 or ME3 or would missing the previous installment make it pointless?

no not really, not with this game if you want to follow a story all the way through the series. It’s essential really to build romances, friendship lines, story decision choices that all follow through the series. I think you can chose a default story if you go to ME2 without playing ME1 which gives you a few choices to try and piece together the story from ME1 without playing, but you miss so much “epicness”

there are plenty of graphic mods available to really bump up the visuals and a host of other things. Head over to Nexusmods and search for MEUITM.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure if someone has mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics but surely that story is up there as one of the best and most beautifully written of all time for video games.

Associate
I've not tried most of the games listed in the above posts but I will be giving them some consideration.
Of the games I have completed, my choices (in order) are:
  1. Postal 2
  2. Portal 2
  3. Far Cry 2
  4. Far Cry 4
  5. GTA V

Associate
To The Moon, heartfelt story and moving soundtrack

I came here to post this. I've played a lot of the games in this thread but none of them have hit me emotionally like To The Moon did. This is a story which they decided to tell via a video game, rather than developing a game to which they added a story.

Soldato
I came here to post this. I've played a lot of the games in this thread but none of them have hit me emotionally like To The Moon did. This is a story which they decided to tell via a video game, rather than developing a game to which they added a story.

Indeed. And to tell it so well, with limited resources (mostly one chap and RPG Maker) is just amazing.

Check out Rakuen if you want something of a similar vein. Made by the lady who did the soundtrack for To the Moon and is equally emotional, if not more so depending on your relation to the subject matter I think.

Soldato
I think the Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age, Half Life series, Witcher series, KOTOR, Alien Isolation, System Shock 2, Prey and Baldur's Gate are hard to beat for story lines. It's pretty disappointing that most of these games are fairly old now too.

Associate
Indeed. And to tell it so well, with limited resources (mostly one chap and RPG Maker) is just amazing.

Check out Rakuen if you want something of a similar vein. Made by the lady who did the soundtrack for To the Moon and is equally emotional, if not more so depending on your relation to the subject matter I think.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look :)

Back
Top Bottom