Tax.... what is everyone’s problem with it?

Associate
as per title really, why aren’t people proud to pay tax and always looking for ways to avoid it.

I’m always being told of more creative ways to avoid tax and how my employees pay tax so I needn’t feel guilt etc.
we already have fairly low taxes compared to other comparable European countries.

We have a reasonable health, education, judicial system, why are people not proud of contributing?

In this age of patriotism could we not all be waving out tax bill boasting of our contribution to the country?

Soldato
Because people are selfish.

People even don't like paying council tax which goes towards paying for services.

Also there are people (in the significant minority) that are okay with paying tax and would be okay with increasing taxes on people like themselves.

Soldato
I don't have a problem paying just that its hardly a fair system

earn double, pay double

But that isn't fair is it. Living standards aren't linear to income.

Someone earning 20k really needs that last 1k more than someone earning 100k needs that last 5k.

Soldato
Move to Sweden IF you like tax....

Why is everything a case of moving.

How about move to Monaco if you don't like tax.

Looking at your location I understand why you are saying it. However, tax is something that is decided as a social collective, just like laws and abiding by them. I agree to both and if it bothers me that much, I'll do something to get that changed.

Soldato
as per title really, why aren’t people proud to pay tax and always looking for ways to avoid it.

I’m always being told of more creative ways to avoid tax and how my employees pay tax so I needn’t feel guilt etc.
we already have fairly low taxes compared to other comparable European countries.

We have a reasonable health, education, judicial system, why are people not proud of contributing?

In this age of patriotism could we not all be waving out tax bill boasting of our contribution to the country?

Wait until you’ve had over 40% of your salary taken in PAYE and NI for a decade and report back.

Caporegime
I don't have a problem paying just that its hardly a fair system

earn double, pay double

That's not really how tax works at all

The thing people forget is that you still retain your tax free allowance, as well as the next chunk of your income on a lower rate. The 5% of the population earning over £80k only pay the increased rate on any income over £80k. So if they’re on £82k they pay 50% tax on the £2k; as opposed to 40%. Real increase...? £3.89 a week. As for couples, if a couple earn £125k between them then they both still have their tax-free allowances, and lower rate tax bands. So if one earns £90k and the bloke £35k, then the additional tax only applies to the higher rate tax payer, and again - real terms increase of £20 a week. This is on a combined household income after tax of £7,000 a month.

Broadest shoulders and all that.

Man of Honour
But that isn't fair is it. Living standards aren't linear to income.

Someone earning 20k really needs that last 1k more than someone earning 100k needs that last 5k.

I live in the south east where the cost of living is massively higher than in the north. Using a similar argument to yours I should pay less tax than someone on the same pay in the north because I need my money more.

Agreed?

Soldato
I live in the south east where the cost of living is massively higher than in the north. Using a similar argument to your I should pay less tax than someone on the same pay in the north because I need my money more.

Agreed?

Whilst we could create microstates to help you out. There is a principle in any country that means everyone lives under the same rules.

However, we do try and help families for example.

The higher earning jobs also exist in the south east to compensate automatically.

Man of Honour
Whilst we could create microstates to help you out. There is a principle in any country that means everyone lives under the same rules.

However, we do try and help families for example.
If everyone lives under the same rules then why do some pay a higher percentage tax than others?

Caporegime
Why is everything a case of moving.

How about move to Monaco if you don't like tax.

Looking at your location I understand why you are saying it. However, tax is something that is decided as a social collective, just like laws and abiding by them. I agree to both and if it bothers me that much, I'll do something to get that changed.

I was joking, I'm not sure what got you angry, sorry :p

Soldato
If everyone lives under the same rules then why do some pay a higher percentage tax than others?

Erm, they are the same rules.

It's like saying why are 12 year olds not allowed to drive. There are sliding scales for things.

I was joking, I'm not sure what got you angry, sorry :p

Not really getting angry. But it is a genuine argument people make. "If you don't like my rules I want to implement, leave the country".

Because people are selfish.

People even don't like paying council tax which goes towards paying for services.

Also there are people (in the significant minority) that are okay with paying tax and would be okay with increasing taxes on people like themselves.
When you add up my income tax and all the other taxes such as fuel duty, council tax, VAT etc. I lose around half my wage. I get frustrated when people tell me we need to be taxed more. I don't have any children, do not claim any freebies and the vast majority of the tax is certainly not spent on me through services.

Since I work in a government funded industry and have seen first hand at how the money is wasted, I have a total lack of confidence that it is being spent correctly or on the right things. Therefore I don't feel the need to contribute even more.

I'd be much better off with the American health system where I pay only for me, but that does not mean I believe that system is better. I'm just a middle class home owner trying to make my way in the world :).

I feel the biggest problem in the UK is people feeling entitled i.e. 'I deserve xyz' and having a total disregard of much services such as the NHS cost.

Man of Honour
Erm, they are the same rules.

It's like saying why are 12 year olds not allowed to drive. There are sliding scales for things.
No they aren't the same rules. The same rules would mean either the same tax percentage for everyone, or if tax rates are different for people needing the money more, then everyone needing the money more should get that reduction too.

Back
Top Bottom