The wait to…points? A slap on the wrist?

Soldato
If they were paying attention sounds like you were going fast enough to be caught. It's not automatic though so if they were having a break you might get lucky!

In South Yorkshire I was offered a course following 41mph in a 30mph zone.

Caporegime
Maximum I was going was 38 but I didn’t brake very hard (or hard enough).
If they clocked me at 38 is it likely there be a different penalty than if they clocked me at say 35 or 34?
Will they see that I was slowing down and might that sway their decision.

So you think that because you slowed down only because you saw a speed trap they will go easy on you?

If they hadn't been there you would have kept on going at the same speed.

So what do you think? This isn't rocket science or something worth asking on a forum. just wait to see if you get a letter in the post or not.

Associate
OP
So you think that because you slowed down only because you saw a speed trap they will go easy on you?

No. I was asking if they would give a different penalty given the speed. Had I been doing 100 then the answer would be yes.
Since the margin is a lot smaller it’s not unreasonable to think there may be a level of tolerance.
It’s pretty clear there is a level of discretion in these things.

If they hadn't been there you would have kept on going at the same speed.

Thats an assumption, and not necessarily true.

So what do you think? This isn't rocket science or something worth asking on a forum. just wait to see if you get a letter in the post or not.

One could reasonably argue that your post was not one worth posting on a forum yet here we are. There must be thousands of posts on here that according to you don’t need to be posted but people ask them for their own understanding.

Associate
My only nip was for 37 in a 30... well on the way out of a 30 - the picture they showed me in the bacon bus at the time had the national speed limit signs in view beside the car as they took the picture.

Delighted i was, catching me just as i sped up over the line.
Still it was ages ago and they are long spent.. they made naff all difference to my insurance or owt so if it happened again and i had a choice between points or speeding course i would take the points.

Soldato
My only nip was for 37 in a 30... well on the way out of a 30 - the picture they showed me in the bacon bus at the time had the national speed limit signs in view beside the car as they took the picture.

You think if you applied the same logic to a no entry sign it would be valid? If I just go past it a little bit it won't matter :p

Or is it that the actual sign indicates something is allowed start/stop or should happen at that sign or before reaching it?

Associate
Speed awareness course if under 42 is the standard

At the local force's discretion alas. I was done at 35 in a 30 in Central Manchester - No option of a course straight 3 points and £100 fine.

When I queried this they said it is totally upto them and the area where I was caught was deemed to be high risk and therefore they were not offering courses.

Don
At the local force's discretion alas. I was done at 35 in a 30 in Central Manchester - No option of a course straight 3 points and £100 fine.

When I queried this they said it is totally upto them and the area where I was caught was deemed to be high risk and therefore they were not offering courses.

yes. it as at discretion though what happened to you is rare

A lot of 30 zones used to be 40mph though, and for quite a long time. This despite braking/tyre technology being inferior back then.

It's annoying when those (now) 30 roads actually still feel like a 40 road, because of the width etc. Just have to keep reminding yourself you are in a 30.

In some cases I do wonder why they are now lower though, noting that Braking technology and car safety is superior now to what it was before, then again I suppose the roads are busier and driving standards are inferior.

Back
Top Bottom