Win10 or Win7 for new PC?

Man of Honour
As I have said before, if you disable the windows update, you dont get no disruptions. I only restart my pc once a week and thats done automatically early in the morning, as I use my pc to stream media around the house aswel.. So I always use sleep so other devices can wake the pc up and access the media straight away. I also do 3d printing so I need windows not to restart and do its own thing, because printing a 3d object can take a few days.

I've generally not found it as simple as that for my needs - none the less half of my Windows 10 devices are laptops or tablets that I like to keep on top of security updates but I definitely don't need them kicking into Windows update the moment I turn them on! for a desktop system that kind of works but I don't really want to be stuck on an outdated version of Windows 10 - none the less currently they are churning through a lot of security issues and if you aren't on at least a recent version of 1903 exposed to all kinds of nasty exploits but there doesn't seem to be a reliable way of curtailing Windows 10's update behaviour that is also convenient for getting updates without messing about re-enabling stuff then having to go through all the changes post update to make sure there isn't any undesirable behaviour with the new release.

Windows 7 just worked in this regard so why they had to mess with it I dunno. Seems to be the way of software development of late - lots of lessons learnt from experience thrown out the window a narrow minded approach and reluctance to take into account wider user needs.

Soldato
The windows update has never turned back on with me when updating windows. I run the "check for updates" twice a month manually.

5hTzaDK.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For me personally that is a less efficient way to work for my main usage. The annoying thing is after some updates when Windows 10 moves around, adds, removes or just generally ***** with the start menu :|

I've been using Win 10's start menu since MS revamped it a while back and it has not moved around or anything since then at all. I am a Classic SHell user otherwise with an even stricter organised menu from back then.

Soldato
I've been using Win 10's start menu since MS revamped it a while back and it has not moved around or anything since then at all. I am a Classic SHell user otherwise with an even stricter organised menu from back then.
I use classic shell aswel, Classic shell says its updating stuff after large updates, but other than that and windows adding program icons, windows leaves the start menu alone.

The one thing that windows 10 keeps on changing is the picture viewer. I prefer viewing pictures and photos using the win7 photo/picture viewer, but windows 10 keeps changing back to the win10 photo/picture viewer.:mad:

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Used to happen more before they revamped it but I've had it happen at least a couple of times since.

Soldato
can you explain this to me please. im about to try w10 for the first time on a new build.

You wont probably like it mainly due to looks, but stick at it, it will grow on you. I have just changed to the win7 start menu. I haven't uninstalled any of the stuff that comes pre installed, as I don't see the point because they don't use any resources up as far as I can see, basically just don't use them.

I think the less messing around you do, the less problems you'll have with windowns10. The one thing I would highly recommend you do is, go through all the pc settings and control panel nice and slowly and changed the options to your needs.

Ah yeah I managed to get the win7 task manager back as the win10 tm is a tad confusing. Ive put the win7 tm into the right click, so I can still use the win10 tm.

G9oyZ7B.jpg

Last edited:

jcr

jcr

Associate
You wont probably like it mainly due to looks, but stick at it, it will grow on you. I have just changed to the win7 start menu. I haven't uninstalled any of the stuff that comes pre installed, as I don't see the point because they don't use any resources up as far as I can see, basically just don't use them.
thank you for the reply

Soldato
I use MSMG Toolkit to remove all the metro apps and a few other things. I can't say I've noticed any problems, other than lack of the Calculator and Pictures (to view images) apps - but these are easily replaced within the toolkit with the Windows 7 calculator (which I prefer) and Windows Photo Viewer, also from W7.

I do this because I don't like my Windows installations full of bloat. Although not so precious on modern machine, RAM and disk space on low end computers, such as netbooks, can be precious and not always upgradable.

Soldato
I wouldnt say win10 was better than win7, Id prefer win7 over win10 anyday, but due to windows 7 is comming to the end of the support from microsoft, I would use win10 over win7 now.

Man of Honour
Support your claim with examples as to why! From a technical and practical standpoint, we already know 10 is better in its current presentation. You should provide a sufficient counter to that end :p

Soldato
bloated
win10 has a mind of its own
ugly
win10 is as solid as win7, if it gets along with your hardware, if not you will have all sorts of problems with win10,, but that could be said for any version of windows.

Soldato
Windows 10 really got on my bad side when I chose to manually install a driver for a racing wheel and windows 10 said "eff you, I like the driver I'm using now".

We don't own windows 10. Windows 10 owns us.

Soldato
Windows 10 really got on my bad side when I chose to manually install a driver for a racing wheel and windows 10 said "eff you, I like the driver I'm using now".

You may be able to install the driver by disabling Signed Driver Enforcement in the startup options. To do this, hold down Shift while selecting Restart from the Start menu, then choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup settings then press the Restart button. Once your PC restarts, a menu will appear before where the blue Windows logo would show during startup - from this menu, choose option 7 to Disable driver signature enforcement and try installing your drivers.

Soldato

Just use the "have disk" option same as Win7/8/8.1

Man of Honour
bloated
win10 has a mind of its own
ugly
win10 is as solid as win7, if it gets along with your hardware, if not you will have all sorts of problems with win10,, but that could be said for any version of windows.

Running Windows 7 and 10 side by side most days I'm constantly reminded how ugly and fragmented 10 is both aesthetically and functionally - 7 might look a bit dated now but at least in the main it has the look of finished polish and some cohesion visually and a bit less inconsistent how and where things are implemented. After a few hours of using Windows 10 (and to some extent 8) the dull flatness and half-arsed icons really start to bother me while 7 I never even notice.

My main issue with 10 though is that it has been developed with poor consideration for the end user and often thinks it knows better while lacking the real life context awareness to be executive in that respect.

Soldato
The main thing that put me off win10 at the beginning was the looks, its like going backwards 10+ years lookswise, its horrid. But if you can get over that and win10 gets along with your hardware, its a real good stable OS. I would recommend disabling windows update from the "group policy editor", changing the window border colour from the boring old white and install "classic shell" if you prefer the win7 startmenu..... Also slowly go through all the settings disabling/enabling all the options.

yTXH3j3.jpg

4ONbwfr.jpg

So... how do you go about changing the window border colour? I found out how to change accents I think its called but that only works on a highlighted title bar as soon as the window is unselected it reverts to plain white. Open Shell is one of the first things i put on it but oh! The hideous windows... I'm seriously thinking of getting a subscription to WindowsBlinds and customise to rid myself of the things. I've had Linux installs that were better looking than this.

Otherwise it seems pretty solid as an OS and even the dreaded Updates havn't been that intrusive I guess it helps I've got Pro so I can defer updates for a week if need be? Mind you this is new hardware I've got an old laptop with 7 on it its slow enough as it is if I were to put 10 on it what with the forced updates and whatnot it'd basically be a brick I've a mind to just ditch windows entirely and put a Linux flavor on it it'd probably fly too I don't need it for productivity etc.

Man of Honour
Winaero Tweaker to change all of that (and much much more). Also why aren't you guys uding dark mode? It is superior in aesthetics...

Win10DT.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Winaero Tweaker to change all of that (and much much more). Also why aren't you guys uding dark mode? It is superior in aesthetics...

Though I use dark mode for OcUK I'm not a fan of full on dark mode - my Windows 7 have a nice glossy/transparent mix aero glass dark theme which gives a nice balance - can't really do that with Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom