How do you keep yourself motivated?

Soldato
I'm going through one of those phases where I end up slipping back into old habits of procrastination and lack of motivation to do anything. I'm finding that they happen far too regularly for my liking and I get annoyed at my lack of ability to pursue anything properly.

I'm quite an all or nothing person and when I get into a habit or hobby, I want to do it constantly and I spend far too much spare time reading and obsessing about it. The thing is, sometimes it seems like something will stop me doing it for a week or so and before I know it, 2 months have gone by and I've not been to the gym / played golf / gone for a nice walk etc.

What do you all do to keep motivated? I'm thinking of trying something like setting a recurring calendar reminder or simply pinning a reminder to my door so that it's there in front of me when I go in and out.

Part of me thinks that if my brain can't simply remember that it wants to do things that it gets enjoyment from, then a list won't help!

Soldato
It sounds like the lack of activities has led to your brain getting use to doing very little. I get that way sometimes and the way I get out of the rut is by setting goals for myself and I don't mean waiting to make new years resolutions you should set new goals as soon as you realise your in a rut.

Associate
I think it's important to have the right balance in life. As long as you are trying new things, staying healthy and active etc. then I don't think you need to worry too much. A bit of down time isn't a bad thing.

Associate
I'm sure everybody suffers these times, it's like writers block. The final blow comes in old age. At sixty you can pursue any hobby with time to excel At seventy if you have managed to avoid dementia or stroke, the urge to do things slows down, competition is for golfers. At eighty planning takes over from doing. Sleep takes the edge off dissatisfaction. You come to the realisation that meditation helps contentment. On a personal level I have a short step to ninety which is the age when nothing matters anymore.
So you youngsters, keep on searching. There's still time to win the lottery or write a novel that puts Harry Potter in the shade.

Soldato
refusal to buy trousers over 34 inch waist (im over 6ft) has kept me motivated over the decades not to get fat

I wondered why you didn't wear trousers :p

Mini goals help, I used to write really long lists of things I need to but it never happened. Now I try to keep it short, ideally 3 things a day.

Associate
I want you to see what I am going to say as the positive thing that is meant to be. What you describe sounds to me like someone with a mental health problem, and if this is the case, someone already suggested something that might work, setting small achievable goals. Even if you have a bigger goal, break it down to small achievable parts. Ask trusted members to constantly reminding you about these goals. If indeed it turns out that you do have a mental health problem, taking your prescribed medication regularly will help you to keep focused enough to achieve those golden gems. All the very best

Man of Honour
You need to just get up and do whatever you intend to do rather than make excuses to yourself and put it off

Thinks, I’ll paint those words on the ceiling, after staring at them for an hour or more, perhaps I’ll get up, brush my teeth, shower, dig out some fresh socks and underwear, and put up a pot of coffee.
Ah but wait, I envisage management getting the raving zig when she sees the painting of the words on the ceiling.
As you were, back to laying in bed, and thinking, shall I just say “**** it, and get up?, yeah, in a minute.

Soldato
I wondered why you didn't wear trousers :p

Mini goals help, I used to write really long lists of things I need to but it never happened. Now I try to keep it short, ideally 3 things a day.

damn ,my secrets out ;) and yes mini goals ,keep putting off changing electricity suppliers ,i have a massive fear of change and uncertainty ,still surprised i moved down to Cornwall

Soldato
I'm sure everybody suffers these times, it's like writers block. The final blow comes in old age. At sixty you can pursue any hobby with time to excel At seventy if you have managed to avoid dementia or stroke, the urge to do things slows down, competition is for golfers. At eighty planning takes over from doing. Sleep takes the edge off dissatisfaction. You come to the realisation that meditation helps contentment. On a personal level I have a short step to ninety which is the age when nothing matters anymore.
So you youngsters, keep on searching. There's still time to win the lottery or write a novel that puts Harry Potter in the shade.

my dads knocking on 90 and he is so regimented and fixed in his routines its almost unbelievable but i think this structure helps him ,certain mornings he will be down the local coffee shop or certain day heading to hebden bridge ,think this keeps him motivated

Back
Top Bottom