Grumpy old man syndrome, or do I have a point?

Soldato
Hey all,

There's something that's been on my mind for a little while now, specifically after I visited my mother to do some work for her. It's something I've noticed before but generally goes out of my mind fairly quickly, but over time it has become a bit more prominent and obvious.

To get to the point, I have three young (well, late teens and early 20's) nieces. For the past 3-4 years, for birthdays and Christmas, they have been giving out pictures of themselves as gifts (as the only gift to the person for either event). They do this specifically with my mother, their grandmother, but do it with other family members also. It's always a collective picture with the three of them in it. In pretty much every picture at least two of them are drinking alcohol (as in holding bottles of beer etc), in several at least one of them is clearly drunk. So it isn't even a case of them going to a photographer or making a point of having a nice photograph taken, they're literally just printouts of pictures they've taken on their phones while on a night out.

These photos are literally covering my mothers walls, she only lives in a small bungalow, they're not being requested by her as she already has a million pictures of everyone in the family anyway. When she doesn't immediately put them up one of the girls pitches a fit as though my mother is being ungrateful or doesn't love them. When I look at them, all I can think is that it's painfully narcissistic and very cheap.

...Am I being a grumpy old man? Is this normal behaviour for people in that age group?

Just felt the need to have a bit of a rant.

Caporegime
Welcome to generations of children being brought up via social media where your life's worth is judged by how many likes you get for posting pictures of yourself. Why do you think they all support issues like the "climate emergency"? simply, it's popular to do so.

Social media in a nutshell:

Soldato
OP
Is that you Victor Meldrew :)

How did you know?

...I don't believe it! :D

Welcome to generations of children being brought up via social media where your life's worth is judged by how many likes you get for posting pictures of yourself.

Yeah, I figure the reliance on social media has something to do with it.

Take them down one by one see if anyone notices. :D

Good idea! lol

Caporegime
Welcome to generations of children being brought up via social media where your life's worth is judged by how many likes you get for posting pictures of yourself. Why do you think they all support issues like the "climate emergency"? simply, it's popular to do so.

Social media in a nutshell:

Dull, you can't just connect two things like that because it sounds cool with very little actual substance to it. Even if it has some effect it doesn't change the source of the information at all. You've also implied that they're all involved in this with the usual brush of judgement, i'm sure there's plenty of idiots that think the climate is hunky-dory via literally the same mechanism you're moaning about.

Indeed it's not even the children that are fault, it's the generation above abusing them for personal gain, but let's happily ignore that so you can go off on one. Simplifying it to criticise from the background is being part of the problem and not the solution, it's also ignoring the fact that there are plenty of adults and elderly are seemingly beholden to social media's worst aspects.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some people like to take photos, even back in the day before the social media era. Though they should have a bit of self reflection when going over board on it. I also have to wonder why they are drunk in the photos.

Why don't you ask them why don't they make some effort when taking the photo? You're probably one of the few people they would listen to.

Indeed it's not even the children that are fault, it's the generation above abusing them for personal gain, but let's happily ignore that so you can go off on one.

It's everyone elses fault except the people acting like idiots :rolleyes:

Soldato
Your nieces sound like ***** with a hint of tramp thrown in if I’m being honest. Pics of them out on the lash and throwing a hissy fit if they don’t get immediately put up on display?! As Santa would say, ho ho ho :p

Caporegime
Get your mum to buy a single digital photo frame and request that they send digital copies of photos in an e-mail instead... because Greta/Environment - Gen Z chicks won't want to defy Greta after all:

jSjo09I.gif

Soldato
All could be excused if they were backing it up with something a bit more thoughtful.

Imagine getting a photograph as the only Christmas present from your granddaughters and the picture wasn’t even posed or framed with that in mind?

Associate
All could be excused if they were backing it up with something a bit more thoughtful.

Imagine getting a photograph as the only Christmas present from your granddaughters and the picture wasn’t even posed or framed with that in mind?

I agree that it's a weak attempt at a present, but I'm not sure getting something better in addition would excuse what the OP's described.

As I can see this thread turning into a youth-bashing exercise, I'll add that although I have limited exposure to people of this age, the only two that I've really got to know in recent years have been fairly normal lads, i.e. a bit lazy and annoying sometimes, but nothing that I wasn't when I was that age. Certainly none of the crazy SJW / social media obsessed (no more so than a lot of older people I know, in the case of the social media) stuff that some people insist is the norm now. They are a bit chavvy, but then they were both from Essex, so...

Soldato
OP
Some of the people above, bugger off you dirty sods. lol

I'll say one thing about the three, they're not promiscuous types, the eldest has been in a relationship with a guy she very much seems to care about for 4 years now, and the one in the middle is in a similar situation.

My concern is about their oblivious self absorbed attitudes and actions at times, and the over the top responses they present when those attitudes aren't backed up, as described above.

remove picture from frame

scan said picture

photoshop something hilarious into each one

reprint and hang

Cracking idea tbh.

Back
Top Bottom