Nought , Zero or Oh ?

Soldato
I alternate. Even in describing a number say over the phone such as 0800502134532. I'll say zero eight zero zero five nought two ....

Soldato
After a quick google.... I’ve just realised saying “oh” is short for zer-oh, always thought it was one of those accepted mistakes because the number 0 looks like an O. Doh

Man of Honour
My phone # is 07710, I say zero seven seven one zero, my wife’s is 07808, she says O seven eight O eight.
I have caught myself occasionally, (very rarely), saying O instead of zero, as in O seven seven one O.
I never, ever say nought, and I positively dislike hearing, or reading, owt or nowt, are they different pronunciations of ought and nought?

Soldato
I use oh at the start and then zero for phone numbers.

I think it's because "oh seven" is a phrase in itself since mobile phones predominantly started using that prefix in the UK, but if it were any other type of number I'd use zero, it just seems clearer to me.

Soldato
Another one is "no chance" or "zero chance"?

I always say the former because again, the latter just sounds odd to me.

Man of Honour
I just don't use that number, it confuses people. They should be able to figure it out, it's 2019, we're not animals.

I totally accept that you know what you mean there Diddums, but maybe owing to a surfeit of laughing water last night, I’m a tad puzzled.
If your phone # is 07901- 101010, how do you personally say it when giving it out?

Caporegime
I totally accept that you know what you mean there Diddums, but maybe owing to a surfeit of laughing water last night, I’m a tad puzzled.
If your phone # is 07901- 101010, how do you personally say it when giving it out?

Leave them out, if it's important they'll figure it out.

Caporegime
Oh seven nein oh one, one zero one zero one zero

I guess I'm void-fluid.

Soldato
I wonder how people would react if I started talking "ZERO". I might try it one day. :D

"Bore da, Yadda. Will you be wanting any eggs this morning?"

"Negatory, Jones The Farm. I require zero eggs today."

Back
Top Bottom