Nought , Zero or Oh ?

Soldato
When communicating numbers to someone, zero is the standard.
When speaking about something that has become engrained in culture, communication is usually easier if you just continue the convention - As in a Thirty-Cal or Fifty-Cal, Thirty Aught-Six, Three-Oh-Three Lee Enfield, etc...

Soldato
has it been specified whether Bond's number has two letters at the start, or two numbers? :-/
It's a code name, but it comprises all numbers, according to Fleming. All the top secret signals during the war had a Double-O prefix, as in the reference number of the German diplomatic code 0075 in the Zimmermann Telegram - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram. The OO supposedly came from John Dee's secret messages to Elizabeth 1st, with the OO representing a pair of eyes, as in For Your Eyes Only.
It's all a massive Intelligence Community in-joke, basically.

Soldato
In regards to 0, I never say "nought", vast majority of the time use "zero", very rarely call it an "oh", unless it's something like James Bond's "007" or "Hawaii Five-0" where it's generally meant that way.

How about suggestions on mixing it up a bit?

null eight null null five

The SQL admin side of me is triggering at the idea of 0 and Null being the same thing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In regards to 0, I never say "nought", vast majority of the time use "zero", very rarely call it an "oh", unless it's something like James Bond's "007" or "Hawaii Five-0" where it's generally meant that way. [..]

On the other hand, both of those examples were meant to be zeroes and have only changed because of common incorrect usage. Literally.

Soldato
i use Zero now pretty much all of the time when giving out phone numbers, logins, email addresses etc
using Oh is not clear enough these days, was ok when you were only using for phone numbers 30 years ago

Soldato
All you buggers "claiming" never to never use the word nought, how do you say 0.1 or 0.5 eh? Eh? And don't even DREAM about claiming you say oh point one, cos nobody says that. And saying zero point one is probably restricted to Professor Brian Cox. :)

Anyway, I think we can all agree it is nil, when talking about the Eurovision song contest.

Edit: I bet some clever sod is going to say, "Actually, it is not compulsory to even say the 0, I just say point one, so stick that in your pipe etc" :)

Last edited:
Soldato
All you buggers "claiming" never to never use the word nought, how do you say 0.1 or 0.5 eh? Eh? And don't even DREAM about claiming you say oh point one, cos nobody says that. And saying zero point one is probably restricted to Professor Brian Cox. :)

Anyway, I think we can all agree it is nil, when talking about the Eurovision song contest.

Edit: I bet some clever sod is going to say, "Actually, it is not compulsory to even say the 0, I just say point one, so stick that in your pipe etc" :)

Point 1, point 5, zero point 1, or zero point five.

Back
Top Bottom