The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
Santa came early for me this year - he just delivered my new Sony kit.
I'm coming from 15 years with a Canon system so a bit to learn but i'm looking forward to the reliable AF and everything else Mirrorless improves upon.

A73 and 55, 85 and 135 F1.8's
I also have the Sigma MC-11 adapter to use my Canon mount Sigma 24 F1.4

49208678842_7e488c2538_o.jpg

Associate
Interesting choice. Why 5DIV and 100-400?
Had a D800 and didn’t like it. The plan is this and the pro version of the EOS R when it lands. This combo has faster focus, better ergonomics, better colour and a better 100-400 so suits me. Been wanting to try it for a while so after 3 big disputes with Sony UK which left me out of pocket, I decided I will no longer buy UK equipment and will never buy sony again despite being a Sony fanboy for over 20 years. I know of two other people who have had issues with Sony equipment lately too (both pros).

Associate
Santa came early for me this year - he just delivered my new Sony kit.
I'm coming from 15 years with a Canon system so a bit to learn but i'm looking forward to the reliable AF and everything else Mirrorless improves upon.

A73 and 55, 85 and 135 F1.8's
I also have the Sigma MC-11 adapter to use my Canon mount Sigma 24 F1.4

49208678842_7e488c2538_o.jpg

Are you swapping over from your Canon kit or is this an addition to? Would be interested so hear how you find the Sony stuff :)

Soldato
Are you swapping over from your Canon kit or is this an addition to? Would be interested so hear how you find the Sony stuff :)
Swapping over from Canon to Sony.
I've been using the Sony A7 3 properly today in the pouring rain with the 135 F1.8 GM lens and it's so much better and easier to use than my previous Canon 6D. Focus tracking is amazing and the Eye tracking is something else. I've gone from a hit rate of 30% to approx 95% and being able to nail focus on the eye is a game changer :)

And

And

Associate
I did like the 5DIV, nice camera. gl

Had a D800 and didn’t like it. The plan is this and the pro version of the EOS R when it lands. This combo has faster focus, better ergonomics, better colour and a better 100-400 so suits me. Been wanting to try it for a while so after 3 big disputes with Sony UK which left me out of pocket, I decided I will no longer buy UK equipment and will never buy sony again despite being a Sony fanboy for over 20 years. I know of two other people who have had issues with Sony equipment lately too (both pros).

Soldato
I didn’t realise the 6D was that bad :eek:
The 6D is a great stills camera; it launched in 2012 and bought Full Frame quality with a low price point (I paid £800 for it new in 2014). The only weak point about it is the auto focus system when paired with quality, fast aperture lenses. Due to very shallow Depth of Field at F1.4 (50, 85) and F2.0 (135) AF needs to be absolutely spot on where you need it, to get the image, and the 6D couldn't achieve this most of the time.

6d2 is even worse
That's the main reason I switched to Sony. The 6D M2 and Canon RP mirrorless both use the same sensor which is getting on a bit a now, and it also didn't receive great press when it launched in 2017, due it's poor noise handling and less dynamic range than the original 6D.

In this graph you can see the DR difference between the Sony A73 and the Canon 6D MKI and MKII at different ISO's - it's around 2.5 stops at ISO100.

49222203442_499ffd4bb7_b.jpg

Source : http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
Swapping over from Canon to Sony.
I've been using the Sony A7 3 properly today in the pouring rain with the 135 F1.8 GM lens and it's so much better and easier to use than my previous Canon 6D. Focus tracking is amazing and the Eye tracking is something else. I've gone from a hit rate of 30% to approx 95% and being able to nail focus on the eye is a game changer :)
Exactly the same upgrade I did (camera wise at least). The quality of the images that came from the 6D when in focus was great, and the low light performance was very good. However, I found the AF system to be trash, it's ok if you're a landscape photographer, but if you want to shoot people or moving objects its pretty useless. The Sony AF system compared to the 6D is light years ahead so you'll be a very happy camper. Even when using converted lenses its way better than the canon!

Soldato
Exactly the same upgrade I did (camera wise at least). The quality of the images that came from the 6D when in focus was great, and the low light performance was very good. However, I found the AF system to be trash, it's ok if you're a landscape photographer, but if you want to shoot people or moving objects its pretty useless. The Sony AF system compared to the 6D is light years ahead so you'll be a very happy camper. Even when using converted lenses its way better than the canon!
I switched from the 5d4 to the a7r2/A9 because of a few reasons

1. sensor IQ
  2. Mirrorless technology(potentially better AF then a dslr could achieve, Its now surpassed dslr of course, silent shooting, evf)
  3. smaller camera

Associate
I switched from the 5d4 to the a7r2/A9 because of a few reasons

1. sensor IQ
  2. Mirrorless technology(potentially better AF then a dslr could achieve, Its now surpassed dslr of course, silent shooting, evf)
  3. smaller camera
This 5D4 I find has better IQ than my A7 / A7ii / A7iii had so I’m surprised the A9 is better. My R2 I never got on with, the R3 update is easily worth the difference in price and then some. The AF on my A7ii / R2 I always thought was good but not great and all of the Sony bodies I’ve had including my R3 have been slower than the 5D4.
Size isn’t always the best either, I couldn’t hold my Sony’s single handed as they were too front heavy. The mk1 & 2 have grips far too small. The 5D4 feels lighter when shooting with the better balance. The R4 is much better size wise and if they would just sort two things I’d happily order one.

Associate
Slightly early Christmas present! Given nowhere seems to have stock of this was slightly surprised to be given it a day early :D

Sigma1.jpg

Associate
I just received my B+W clear filter from amazon for my Fuji but there is a finger print and some tiny specks of dust on the filter? What’s the best way to remove these as I’m new to the camera world?

cheers guys.

Associate
Picked up this X-T2 from John Lewis on clearance this morning.

95-C533-B6-B2-DD-4-B28-B6-A7-3391-B61951-BA.jpg

First time with an APS-C sensor (used to have a D750), so will take a little getting used to it, but happy to have a camera again. Just need to decide on a couple of lenses now. :D

Back
Top Bottom