• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 1070 to 2070 and performance lost.

Soldato
Hey guys, so i took the plunge and picked up an msi 2070 super gaming x trio to replace my zotac 1070 amp extreme. I've booted safe mode, run DDU, powered off, fitted new card and loaded up windows again. After installing the latest drivers i started benching and i'm seeing mixed results.

Heaven benchmark saw an increase from 188.1 fps and 4739 score to 250.6 fps and 6313 score.

Seemed pretty good.

Valley took a hit in performance from 133.6 fps 5591 score (max fps 221.4) and even after overclocking the new card slightly it only hit 137.5fps 5754 and max fps of 211.6

Rise of the tomb raider saw and increase from 54fps average to 72fps average at the same settings, apex legends saw a 18fps avg increase, 7 fps minimum frame loss and 3fps max fps gain.

Destiny 2 has gone down in performance from avg of 74fps in the tower to 68fps.

I've got a 4790k at 4.5ghz, 16gb ram and running 3440x1440.

Anyone got any ideas as atm i'm kinda bummed on spending so much to take a step backwards?

Soldato
Are you running with afterburner open? without looking at the clocks/temps/etc (incl. CPU) while running the games, it's hard to say. It might very well be the CPU getting ran ragged, esp. as nvidia uses extra cpu power very well in dx11 to boost their gpus. This used to be a big deal way back when and ppl didn't recommend AMD for ppl with weaker CPUs because they required more CPU grunt.

Simplest test you can do is to install Shadow of the tomb raider demo from steam and run the benchmark. That will show you very clearly, what kind of a CPU bottleneck you have, in their graphs.

Soldato
OP
Are you running with afterburner open? without looking at the clocks/temps/etc (incl. CPU) while running the games, it's hard to say. It might very well be the CPU getting ran ragged, esp. as nvidia uses extra cpu power very well in dx11 to boost their gpus. This used to be a big deal way back when and ppl didn't recommend AMD for ppl with weaker CPUs because they required more CPU grunt.

Simplest test you can do is to install Shadow of the tomb raider demo from steam and run the benchmark. That will show you very clearly, what kind of a CPU bottleneck you have, in their graphs.

brilliant, cheers. got it downloading now.

Soldato
Maybe a setting you had in nvidia panel you used got reset during a fresh driver install presuming you did ddu or something?

Or perhaps some things were better on old architecture vs newer ones? Like game specific optimisations.

If its a new driver cos of the new card and u were on a older driver before has caused the change?

Associate
see all the research i'd done beforehand had prepared me for a few fps difference between my cpu and a newer one when upgrading the card, but nothing suggested i'd get less performance. That can't be the issue?

Depends on the title, some titles need a 6 cores to perform optimally. Your CPU is a weaker version of the 2400G in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZoSWkyyDNE&t=401s

Soldato
You can see in mine, I'm 100% gpu bound. My CPU can maintain 86 fps 95% of the time, while GPU can only do 30. And in the bottom graph, you can see that orange (GPU) never goes below green (CPU), which means it's never being CPU-bound even for a moment. I imagine your graph will look a lot more inter-twined. Lemme check 720p.

HN7ckcv.png

edit: you can see it completely reverse in 720p lowest
vvKXkAp.png

and finally at 1080p high mix of settings, you can see the inter-twining I'm talking about, where it's either GPU or CPU bound depending on the scene

lwKcxC0.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I notice ur not on latest 1909 build on win 10. Doubt it will help updating but there is a newer update if u wanted to try it.

I gave that a bash and it made no difference :(

I just dont get why its doing worse than the 1070. I went from gtx980 to gtx1070 with my 2500k and saw a good increase in everything.

I even tried taking the 2070 out and just sliding the 1070 back in, no driver changes or anything and average frames in destiny 2 went back up by 5-10fps. Slide the 2070 back in and it goes down again.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I gave that a bash and it made no difference :(

I just dont get why its doing worse than the 1070. I went from gtx980 to gtx1070 with my 2500k and saw a good increase in everything.

I even tried taking the 2070 out and just sliding the 1070 back in, no driver changes or anything and average frames in destiny 2 went back up by 5-10fps. Slide the 2070 back in and it goes down again.
Do a clean install of windows. Fixes things like this in most cases for me. Less stressful and overall quicker than stressing and wasting time looking for fixes online or messing with DDU.

Soldato
OP
I changed something, i dunno what. But was flying through some missons in destiny and pulling between 120-140fps at 3440x1440 and around 170fps at 1920x1080 windowed at high settings. Changing to low settings seemed to make around 20fps difference so not a gpu issue and gpu is now pulling 100% instead of barely scraping 60% usage. Still getting low fps in the tower but it's not everywhere now at least :D

Soldato

Same pc, same benchmark, same settings. 1070 vs 2070 super. not sure why the minimum frames are lower though, couldn't tell they had happened during the benchmark.

My bad I didnt read the thread to closely. I was seeing non super in the threat title. So yer 1070 to 1080ti performance would be a nice jump :)

Caporegime
fresh install of windows. make sure you have latest BIOS, latest chipset drivers, etc, etc.

I don't think you would see a massive upgrade from a 1070 to a 2070. A 2070 is what 1080 level of performance?

you wot m8?

he has went from a 1070 to equivalent of a 1080ti or faster.

so he has went up a considerable amount.

Soldato
OP
Urgh, i hate reinstalling windows :p
fresh install of windows. make sure you have latest BIOS, latest chipset drivers, etc, etc.

you wot m8?

he has went from a 1070 to equivalent of a 1080ti or faster.

so he has went up a considerable amount.

Noooo, i hate reinstalling windows :p

What is your PSU rating?

650w

Cpu pulls 150 ish, gpu while overclocked is 370 ish

Back
Top Bottom