• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel i9-10X processor availablity?

Soldato
Lol, first line in small print about the tests

"Performance results are based on projections as of 11/04/2019, and may not reflect all publicly available security updates. See configuration disclosure for details. No product can be absolutely secure."

I love that. I also love the "No product can be absolutely secure." Were they putting that onto their small print before all these major security flaws were discovered? I bet they weren't!

Unfortunately people will still buy into all of this and it'll sell, but how anyone can look at these and then not get an AMD equivalent for a fraction of the price is beyond me. There's literally no real reason to buy an Intel CPU right now, unless you're a fanboy, in which case, more fool you. A few percent points gain for almost double the price is not worth it at all.

Soldato
Exactly. AMD is now the best CPU to get for almost every scenario, compared to the 10*** series

"10 extra FPS over AMD ingame please"

"Certainly sir, that'll be 700 quid for the CPU, plus 200 quid for a 360 AIO that you'll need and 100 quid for decent SP fans for the AIO"

Caporegime
Exactly. AMD is now the best CPU to get for almost every scenario, compared to the 10*** series

"10 extra FPS over AMD ingame please"

"Certainly sir, that'll be 700 quid for the CPU, plus 200 quid for a 360 AIO that you'll need and 100 quid for decent SP fans for the AIO"

Quite happy with my £190 CPU, £80 Motherboard and £45 AIO, thank's tho... :D

Associate
Unfortunately people will still buy into all of this and it'll sell, but how anyone can look at these and then not get an AMD equivalent for a fraction of the price is beyond me. There's literally no real reason to buy an Intel CPU right now, unless you're a fanboy, in which case, more fool you. A few percent points gain for almost double the price is not worth it at all.
There are fringe cases:
AVX-512
DAW usage - Kontakt loves Intel and some hardware is not certified/compatible with AMD platforms.
A desktop APU with 6 or 8 cores.
An adrenaline junky that likes the risk of the hardware vulnerabilities! :)
A few more possibly.

Soldato
3900x - $499 including the cooler
10900k - $499 to $599, 360mm AIO just to still get 90c - $150, not having to use a heater because you PC is a nuclear power plant - priceless

Soldato
Intel decided losing to the 3950x was not enough, it wants to lose to the 3960/3970x in price/perf too.

A 10990xe engineering sample has popped up. 22 cores/44 threads with 4ghz base and 5ghz boost and 380w TDP.

It should be mentioned this TDP figure is pointless. The 18 core parts at 5ghz pull 600w - this will pull even more.

Caporegime
Intel decided losing to the 3950x was not enough, it wants to lose to the 3960/3970x in price/perf too.

A 10990xe engineering sample has popped up. 22 cores/44 threads with 4ghz base and 5ghz boost and 380w TDP.

It should be mentioned this TDP figure is pointless. The 18 core parts at 5ghz pull 600w - this will pull even more.

This is the problem with Intel's CPU's, they use monolithic dies and they don't have anything like the power efficiency of AMD and on top of that AMD's IPC is significantly higher.

So they cannot get anywhere near as many cores into a CPU as AMD can and when they do make CPU's that might compete with AMD's lower core count CPU's they have to clock them so high to make up for their IPC deficit they end up pulling insane amounts of power.

Soldato
This is the problem with Intel's CPU's, they use monolithic dies and they don't have anything like the power efficiency of AMD and on top of that AMD's IPC is significantly higher.

So they cannot get anywhere near as many cores into a CPU as AMD can and when they do make CPU's that might compete with AMD's lower core count CPU's they have to clock them so high to make up for their IPC deficit they end up pulling insane amounts of power.

Should drop the ball and not look stupid. XCC chips on 2066 need serious work. I bet 3/4 of the motherboards won't be able to take it either, considering how many are from 2017 era like the Carbon etc, who cannot even take the 10980XE. Let alone 22 core monolithic monstrocity would cost more than the 3960X and still be slower at 5Ghz overclock burning over 2.5 times more power.

Because 18 to 22 core is roughly 22% more. And the 3960X is over 22% faster than the 10980XE!

Caporegime
And apparently motherboards need tweaking to work with it also. But 1000W CPU yeah bring it on.. :rolleyes:

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-01/cpu-intel-cascade-lake-x-refresh-22-kerne/

Bear in mind it would be still slower than the 3970X......

5Ghz OC.. score 14000? pha...ahah ahahaha...... <AMD right now.

1, Score 18781: AMD Threadripper 3970X at 4.25Ghz Blackbadger
2, Score 17824: AMD Threadripper 3970X at 4.05Ghz, g0th2000
3, Score 15159: AMD Threadripper 3960X at 4.45Ghz, RSR
4, Score 14730: AMD Threadripper 3960X at 4.3Ghz, amigafan2003
5, Score 14284: AMD Threadripper 3960X at 4.2Ghz tommoT.Striker
6, Score 14107: AMD Threadripper 2990WX at 4.0Ghz, andy_taximan
7, Score 14016: AMD Threadripper 3960X at Stock, AMDPower
8, Score 11660: Intel Core i9 10980XE at 5.0Ghz, RSR

Soldato
5Ghz OC.. score 14000? pha...ahah ahahaha...... <AMD right now.

Yeah updated my post, it wont be faster than the 3960X :D

Is ridiculous. And 1000W how to cool it? I mean 360mm AIO has 500W cap.
So 3 x 360mm rads to be safe? It doesn't work like that, as there is a limit how much colder the water can be from ambient temp. (room/case).
Needs chiller definately to hit 4.8 let alone all core 5Ghz.

Hmm, need to apply for a pattent. Dual loop CPU waterblock... time to make moneyyyyy :D

Associate
This strikes me as the pinnacle of panic. If there is a 22core die it sure as hell was never meant to run close to 5 big ones, yes it impressive that intel can get there 14+∞ process to actually be able to cope with the power and heat loads but help ma bob no intel just no.

This is way past last ditch attempts, this is about having something at the top or near the top of the table. Its image and thats it.
This will not be a good processor, hell the other products in its family are not good processors and this thing will be even worse.

Nearly 400w @ base clocks and ... god knows what it will pull @ boost and then of course overclocked. Its a wonder it wont start glowing.

Why bother? shareholders? pride? idiocy?

It will still get thumped by TR in HEDT apps, but hey it will do well in gaming and as we all know from on here gaming is the most important metric in pc performance... ever.

Caporegime
Should drop the ball and not look stupid. XCC chips on 2066 need serious work. I bet 3/4 of the motherboards won't be able to take it either, considering how many are from 2017 era like the Carbon etc, who cannot even take the 10980XE. Let alone 22 core monolithic monstrocity would cost more than the 3960X and still be slower at 5Ghz overclock burning over 2.5 times more power.

Because 18 to 22 core is roughly 22% more. And the 3960X is over 22% faster than the 10980XE!

Makes you wonder why they even bother. they are embarrassing themselves putting their best forward like this when their best can't even get to AMD's worst, its pathetic.

All it does is show them up, show how bad Intel's CPU's are compared to AMD's giving AMD all the mindshare.

Soldato
This strikes me as the pinnacle of panic. If there is a 22core die it sure as hell was never meant to run close to 5 big ones, yes it impressive that intel can get there 14+∞ process to actually be able to cope with the power and heat loads but help ma bob no intel just no.

14+∞ muahahaha :D

Makes you wonder why they even bother. they are embarrassing themselves putting their best forward like this when their best can't even get to AMD's worst, its pathetic.

All it does is show them up, show how bad Intel's CPU's are compared to AMD's giving AMD all the mindshare.

You know the same thing would happen to the GPUs as we go to 5nm node. The first company who stumbles and delays chiplet GPU going to fall behind by a big margin.

Caporegime
14+∞ muahahaha :D

You know the same thing would happen to the GPUs as we go to 5nm node. The first company who stumbles and delays chiplet GPU going to fall behind by a big margin.

Yes, but its not just Lego technology and the 7nm lithography alone, aside from that, which plays a big part, the Zen 2 cores in their own right are excellent, significantly higher IPC than Intel and architecturally very effisient.

Intel are miles behind AMD in every aspect other than maximum clock speed and that only helps them, a bit, in games.

Associate
Intel are miles behind AMD in every aspect other than maximum clock speed and that only helps them, a bit, in games.
Intel do at least still have the 'better' Bunny suits though which is some consolation! :D

s3-news-tmp-127306-screen_shot_2018-07-26_at_3.09.59_pm--2x1--940.png

Maybe Daft Punk stole their look from the days of ye old slotted Pentiums!

Back
Top Bottom