• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel i9-10X processor availablity?

Soldato
hahahahahahahaha
Intel really should finally admit their TDP ratings are utter gibberish.

The TDP is for the base clock, it's the minimum gauranteed clock speed you will get. Anything over is not gauranteed and anything over exceeds TDP. That's why if you limit a 9900k to its advertised TDP it's far slower and can't hit its max boost

Soldato
Annotation-2019-12-30-084216.jpg

The chart is rather interesting, in what intel are now producing so much data for a chip.
Base clock, very boost, versus thermal boost clock, versus max turbo clock, and that's all for a single core, then throw in a couple more for multicore.
It reads like they are attempting some headlines without providing any actual information.
The thermal thing does sound like what it might manage with a chiller.

Soldato
The TDP is for the base clock, it's the minimum gauranteed clock speed you will get. Anything over is not gauranteed and anything over exceeds TDP. That's why if you limit a 9900k to its advertised TDP it's far slower and can't hit its max boost

Might be, but if you compare the K with the gimped chip, a 0.9 increase in GHZ almost doubles the TDP. Would suggest there is the potential for the thing under full boost, at stock not overclocked to pull 300Watts under normal load.
It should make cooling rather intricate.

Wonder will they been suggesting AIOs or custom loops at required.

Soldato
Might be, but if you compare the K with the gimped chip, a 0.9 increase in GHZ almost doubles the TDP. Would suggest there is the potential for the thing under full boost, at stock not overclocked to pull 300Watts under normal load.
It should make cooling rather intricate.

Wonder will they been suggesting AIOs or custom loops at required.

That matches my theory too.

The 9900k which has a base of 3.5ghz with 95w tdp and all core boost of 4.7ghz pulls 205w at its 4.7ghz boost.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html

the 10900k takes that 4.7ghz and boosts it further to 4.9ghz and tacks on two extra cores.

I just don't see how this thing can be cooled with anything other than a 360mm AIO are bare minimum.

Soldato
Gonna be pretty much a done deal that these will need a new chipset, right?
Will likely upgrade my 8400 in 2020, would be nice to just throw a new CPU in the existing board. Hyperthreaded i5 would be nice, but if need a new motherboard anyway I'd just get an AMD board and CPU.

Soldato
Gonna be pretty much a done deal that these will need a new chipset, right?
Will likely upgrade my 8400 in 2020, would be nice to just throw a new CPU in the existing board. Hyperthreaded i5 would be nice, but if need a new motherboard anyway I'd just get an AMD board and CPU.

yes it's at this point over 90% certainty that it uses z490 chipset with the LGA1159 socket- which physically makes it impossible to use on a older z390/370 boards is afraid

Associate
There are a few things Intel can do make the 10core not any worse than a 9900ks.

- decrease the height of the silicon substrate for better heat transfer
- improve the solder
- use more of the silicon die space to spread out the heat as there is no igpu on those parts
- node improvement to reduce voltage and tighten up the voltage variance between chips
- improve io/sa so you can ram oc without pumping those volts and run your uncore closer to core for reduced latency

those 5 things would make the 10 core manageable and if you can OC 10 cores to 5.2ghz+, it’ll be fast and desirable.

AMD current advantages are that they supply more cores for less and are easier to heat manage but in a like for like scenario, an ambient cooled oc’d 3800x gets soundly beaten by an oc’d 9900k/s. Before someone mentions ram tuning, it helps on Intel also and just because people lazy it up with xmp doesn’t mean manual tuning of ram on Intel doesn’t work.

Soldato
Soldato
Nothing too exciting really, same old processor they are going to be hard to cool though if aiming for all cores at 5Ghz +.

Interesting to see what is actually required in terms of VRM and cooling for the velocity boost.

Leaks haven't indicated a lack of IGPU as they are all K parts not KF, so no radical layout change.

Will still have the lead in gaming by a little more now probably and will be fairly close to the 3900x in production now although far worse in terms of power consumption, will get soundly beaten by the 3950X in production.

Can see the 10900k taking over the 9900ks pricing and others falling in line, will still be more expensive than AMD under the guise that you now get SMT in all of them wow !!

Permabanned
But it still tops the charts in gaming.

Throwing more and more cores out is not the answer, there is a limit to what usable for most people and games do not make use of that many (48 cores etc).

It seems like the polar opposite of when Intel thought in a few years they would be at 6GHZ=10GHZ (P4 EE crap) soon then had to go back to the drawing board and came out with the CD2 baaed on the far better/more efficient P3 arct

6-8 real Cores with HT so 12-16 threads would be fine for years to come if game devs coded for it but they need to also code for older gen as most will not be on latest.

If Intel bring out a new gen not this re-spun nonsense and it has 8 Cores 16 Threads and a 10 Cores 20 Threads and ideally at least one model in the range model with no IGPU I would be happy.

Soldato
Nothing too exciting really, same old processor they are going to be hard to cool though if aiming for all cores at 5Ghz +.

Interesting to see what is actually required in terms of VRM and cooling for the velocity boost.

Leaks haven't indicated a lack of IGPU as they are all K parts not KF, so no radical layout change.

Will still have the lead in gaming by a little more now probably and will be fairly close to the 3900x in production now although far worse in terms of power consumption, will get soundly beaten by the 3950X in production.

Can see the 10900k taking over the 9900ks pricing and others falling in line, will still be more expensive than AMD under the guise that you now get SMT in all of them wow !!

9900ks all core 5ghz out the box
10900k all core 4.8ghz out the box

the 9900ks is going to be faster at games than the 10900k until you overclock the 10900k.

The 9900ks is binned and draws 180w out the box, the 10900k draws 250w out the box.

so overclocking the 10900k to beat the 9900ks at games is going to be a problem. 360mm AIO bare minimum and still see 90c or higher temps.

Using Intels own benchmark slides - the 10900k is just 2% faster than the 9900k in single thread load. 2% is not enough to beat the 9900KS.

And that is why 9900KS production is ending, Intel can't have it beating the 10900K, if you want a KS get one soon because the majority of people a 9900KS will remain the fastest gaming CPU money can buy and the 10900k will not beat it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only 2% IPC improvement? That's not a new gen, it's a rebrand.

Nvidia got a lot of stick for a 30% generational improvement. Yet Intel does a 2% improvement and people can't wait to hand over their money.

Soldato
Only 2% IPC improvement? That's not a new gen, it's a rebrand.

Nvidia got a lot of stick for a 30% generational improvement. Yet Intel does a 2% improvement and people can't wait to hand over their money.

100mhz higher clock speeds than 9900k but slower clock speed than 9900KS.

Soldato
There is clearly a delay as motherboard makers have told ComputerBase that their Z490 platform is ready. Numerous leaks have been popping up around the web in the past few weeks, which means that the development of CML-S is well underway.

It is said that 10-core CPUs, the flagship mainstream series for CML-S, are drawing too much power, reportedly up to 300W, which is not really that surprising. Even the Core i9-9900KS draws 250-275W, but there is still some room for improvement for the upcoming 10-core CML-S part.

ComputerBase:
Several motherboard manufacturers revealed that the 10-core breaks the 300-watt mark at maximum load. Not surprisingly, the 9900KS already exceeded the 250-watt mark in scenarios of this kind. This information has nothing in common with the TDP, which is rumored to be 125 watts. Up to 4.9 GHz Turbo clock for all 20 threads on the flagship makes this value increase significantly in everyday life depending on the load.
https://videocardz.com/newz/intels-10-core-comet-lake-s-cpus-could-draw-up-to-300w

giphyodjjt.gif

Back
Top Bottom