1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel i9-10X processor availablity?

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Coojeekitten, Nov 25, 2019.

1. humbug

Caporegime

Good Grief lol :D

2. pete910

Mobster

And intell will still out sell AMD

3. CHokKA

Mobster

But they're not right now, are they? AMD is outselling them massively at the moment and the top 10 CPU lists show AMD dominating. The only space that Intel holds a huge share right now is the high-end server market and that's because AMD can't even give EPYC processors away because suppliers like HP actually lose money if they accept free CPUs. If that's not antitrust and a monopoly, then I don't know what is.

4. smilingcrow

Hitman

The only place AMD is trouncing Intel is at certain retail stores and that may be country specific.
    That's small fry really.
    The bulk of sales are via OEM systems and it takes much longer to penetrate those areas.
    Give them time and they'll get serious sales there also.
    They couldn't supply the majority of those markets quickly as it takes time to ramp production and they are totally dependent on external fabs for that.

5. CHokKA

Mobster

And Intel are in a better position to ramp up production? Their production is failing so miserably that they're releasing 22nm tech from years ago just to fill gaps, they're unable to fulfil data centre orders for servers, they've been massively hit by security flaws and data centres are suffering because of it, and they're touting a new Core i3 CPU as a mid-level CPU just to compete with Ryzen, which is absolute rubbish. Core i3s are awful CPUs and shouldn't even be touted as entry-level.

From where I stand, it doesn't seem like anything that's happening to Intel at the moment is small fry. At the end of the day, healthy competition is good, and Intel have spent years fighting dirty just so that they can win. It's nice to see them getting left behind now.

6. Journey

Soldato

It is a very slow process though, as of Q3 AMD had a 4.3% share of the server CPU market, and probably not even that in OEM desktop. They are looking to raise that to 10%+ in 2020, and even though Intel are struggling to supply they increased their ASP (average selling price) probably due to concentrating on higher margin parts coming from the fabs.

AMD is now finally making a decent push in the laptop segment to with the new 4xxx CPU's, I'd hope by the end of Q4 '20 they will have increased their market share from 14.7 to beyond 22% doubling last years 3.7% growth, and then hitting 35%+ in 2021 once things are in full swing.

You can also bet that Intel will be using every trick in the book to keep partners onside, legal or illegal, in all the market places they are most profitable, enthusiast desktop isn't a big deal though in the grand scheme of things.

7. smilingcrow

Hitman

Intel already have the vast majority of the markets and are starting to lose some to AMD so they hardly need to ramp up production by much to stop being supply constrained.
    Maybe by 10 to 20% or so! Haven't seen any hard data on that.
    Whereas AMD would have to supply around 5 to 10 times as many chips as they currently do just to get to 51% of the market.
    So AMD would need to ramp by a factor of about 25 to 100 times more than Intel.
    Ask TSMC if they think that is feasible any time soon.

8. Alan1969

Hitman

me too, the ryzen 3600 is awesome value for money. I often play games and look at HW monitor and wish that games will use all 12 threads rather than just 4 simultaneously.