Getting Irish nationality for children?

Caporegime
That's the problem right there, its not just an Irish passport, its an EU passport. Lets say your child is working in Germany and the EU passes a law stating that all EU citizens living in the EU are liable for conscription regardless of the EU state they reside. Your child is living in the US and there is a major economic hissy fit between them and the EU and they demand all EU citizen leave the US. Your child is an EU citizen and claiming to be British will not carry much weight if on an EU passport you are traveling and living. Its an odd world we live in and you never know what the future holds.

That's getting a bit convoluted... I doubt EU conscription is going to be introduced overnight etc.. but they do have the option to renounce citizenship if they have UK citizenship and/or indeed make sure their US visa is via their UK passport. I think in general dual nationality is more useful to have than not... not that I'm denying there could be issues... you're right to raise them but I suspect that most could be avoided/mitigated too.

Associate
That's getting a bit convoluted... I doubt EU conscription is going to be introduced overnight etc.. but they do have the option to renounce citizenship if they have UK citizenship and/or indeed make sure their US visa is via their UK passport. I think in general dual nationality is more useful to have than not... not that I'm denying there could be issues... you're right to raise them but I suspect that most could be avoided/mitigated too.
I agree but it was just a point of thought that those who are making choices for their children should give consideration to, you just don't know what the future holds.

Caporegime
So we just need to relocate to Ireland for 5 years. Yes, that's my interpretation too.

:rolleyes:

Not so straight forward.

Well if you really believe that Brexit would be some horrendous disaster and you want the kids to have Irish citizenship then moving to Ireland seems like a reasonable move no?

Soldato
OP
Well if you really believe that Brexit would be some horrendous disaster and you want the kids to have Irish citizenship then moving to Ireland seems like a reasonable move no?
Agreed - if someone believes Brexit will be an horrendous disaster, yes.

Commissario
Agreed - if someone believes Brexit will be an horrendous disaster, yes.
Even if you just want your kids to have the same opportunities you had it makes sense given the UK government seems determined to annoy the EU in regards to the rights of people to live and work in other countries (they're off to a great start, IIRC they voted the other day to require people who have been living in the UK to basically take the same steps as people who were not living in the UK but want to work here, and removed the right to automatic appeal for residency status for EU citizens who are living here and get refused).

Associate
Thanks.

So it's the case that my wife's new Irish nationality won't itself confer similar opportunities to her children and grandchildren that her grandfather's nationality does? Because she's not living in Ireland?

Makes sense.

Yeah, it only passes down 2 generations, unless your wife had her citizenship confirmed before the birth of the kids...

Soldato
Tbh I'm just going to take my kids out the back and shoot them, I've got no claims to other nationalities and there's no way I'm taking the risk of them growing up in the horror of a post Brexit UK :rolleyes:

Associate
The guy was just looking into maximising opportunities for his kids and hedge any possible future risk, he's not planning a revolution. I certainly wouldn't bother with the upheaval of moving to Ireland for the sake of it though.

Soldato
Got to laugh at brexiters saying ‘there is a whole world out there’ but they have done a brilliant job of making very difficult for themselves to actually leave their poxy island haha.

You know before we joined the EU it was still possible to travel this wasn't just a thing that came about when we joined the EU and will still be just as easy when we leave the EU.

Soldato
You'd be daft not to secure an Irish passport if you're entitled to one. It doesn't mean you're predicting the end of the world, just you are securing the rights afforded to EU citizens that Brits will soon be losing.

As someone who has lived and worked abroad inside and outside the EU, and has been a hiring manager inside the EU, having the right to work visa free in the EU is a massive plus, opens up huge employment opportunities.

Soldato
You know before we joined the EU it was still possible to travel this wasn't just a thing that came about when we joined the EU and will still be just as easy when we leave the EU.

It'll likely cost £7 about once every 3 years though for a Visa - talk about restricting travel to only the super rich!!!

Permabanned

Its not about travel.

It'll likely cost £7 about once every 3 years though for a Visa - talk about restricting travel to only the super rich!!!

Its not about travel.

Back
Top Bottom