Getting Irish nationality for children?

Soldato
No, but I would like him to to to University as he wants to become an architect. . Would you not your children? Certainly want him to use his brain rather than hard graft which is what I do.

Damn I should've guessed architect. I would support a child in what ever they wanted to do, I wouldn't try to live vicariously through one and plan their life out, but that's just me.

Soldato
Damn I should've guessed architect. I would support a child in what ever they wanted to do, I wouldn't try to live vicariously through one and plan their life out, but that's just me.

They're called options. The sole reason why I am applying for them to get dual nationality, even though they will have to do national service

Caporegime
What if they'd just like to live there, without being a multi millionaire? Ah yes, nobody knows yet...

Well that's up to those countries - I mean if Spain finds value in having a bunch of retired brits settle over there they can always try to make things accommodating to them after we leave.

Associate
Sorry yes I forgot, it's going to be impossible for someone with a British passport to ever work in Europe.

This thread, LOL.

and what happens if the EU start a point based system from countries outside the EU or make it that you need to be earning over £40k to work. or that you need £500k if you want to live in the EU. A British passport won't be worth the paper it printed on then

Associate
You should be careful making your child a citizen of another nation, they could grow up to find that as a citizen of said nation they are liable for unseen event. Conscription or even deportation due to being a citizen of said nation.

Caporegime
You should be careful making your child a citizen of another nation, they could grow up to find that as a citizen of said nation they are liable for unseen event. Conscription or even deportation due to being a citizen of said nation.

Well it isn't a grounds for deportation from the UK and at least w.r.t Ireland conscription isn't too much of a worry. Might be for other European countries - though in the case of the boyfriend of an old flatmate, he just made sure to never visit the country in question.

I guess it can cause extra faff if they grow up and want to join the Armed forces - amusingly, even since 9/11, it's generally been Irish people who have a longer wait whereas 2nd generation British Asians with uncles still living in tribal areas of Pakistan... no problem :D

Associate
Well it isn't a grounds for deportation from the UK and at least w.r.t Ireland conscription isn't too much of a worry. Might be for other European countries - though in the case of the boyfriend of an old flatmate, he just made sure to never visit the country in question.

I guess it can cause extra faff if they grow up and want to join the Armed forces - amusingly, even since 9/11, it's generally been Irish people who have a longer wait whereas 2nd generation British Asians with uncles still living in tribal areas of Pakistan... no problem :D

That's the problem right there, its not just an Irish passport, its an EU passport. Lets say your child is working in Germany and the EU passes a law stating that all EU citizens living in the EU are liable for conscription regardless of the EU state they reside. Your child is living in the US and there is a major economic hissy fit between them and the EU and they demand all EU citizen leave the US. Your child is an EU citizen and claiming to be British will not carry much weight if on an EU passport you are traveling and living. Its an odd world we live in and you never know what the future holds.

Back
Top Bottom