Getting Irish nationality for children?

Soldato
Plenty of MP's have gone for some form of dual citizenship, which also including Farage's kids.

Just hedging your bets when people are hell bent on removing peoples rights.

His kids have a German mother, so they actually are of dual-nationality, they aren't just looking to get an EU passport in a bit of a **** you to Brexiters

Soldato
Well that's up to those countries - I mean if Spain finds value in having a bunch of retired brits settle over there they can always try to make things accommodating to them after we leave.

Which of course was a thing long before either Britain or Spain were part of the EU.

Soldato
So they can keep the benefits of EU citizenship for his kids while shafting everyone else with the other hand.

It's only a benefit if they actually want to work in the EU, and even if they do want to work in the EU there are routes for people to take. Look how many immigrants from outside the EU are living and working in Germany.

Soldato
OP
It's only a benefit if they actually want to work in the EU, and even if they do want to work in the EU there are routes for people to take. Look how many immigrants from outside the EU are living and working in Germany.
Cheaper university courses (with the benefit of learning another language at the same time) is one of the main things on the radar.

Soldato
Before the referendum I grabbed an Italian passport (dad is Italian). I have no concerns about being able to work in any country. I buggered off and worked in both the States and Oz as I had skills and people can do the same. However, if you think 'oh hey I'll work in a bar in Naples for a year' then it's a bit trickier.

Who knows how things will be in 20 years - your kids may thank you or it may not even be an issue. If you can get a second passport no reason not to.

Associate
His kids have a German mother, so they actually are of dual-nationality, they aren't just looking to get an EU passport in a bit of a **** you to Brexiters

Isn't he under police investigation for allegedly providing false information. in trying to get a german passport for himself

Caporegime
Just a thought, if anyone was super keen on their kids having an immediate option re: an EU passport - just have them delivered in a NI hospital.

Currently anyone born on the island of Ireland is entitled to Irish citizenship if they have no other citizenship or if one of their parents is Irish or British or entitled to Irish citizenship.

You don’t have to move their, just take a holiday, have baby, come back to mainland.

Associate

what happens in these days of international travel you fall in love with a EU Girl/boy. post Brexit with a irish passport i can simply go live with them in their country. with a British passport ill spent years on the outside looking in, as the process my application to live in the EU

Associate
Just a thought, if anyone was super keen on their kids having an immediate option re: an EU passport - just have them delivered in a NI hospital.

Currently anyone born on the island of Ireland is entitled to Irish citizenship if they have no other citizenship or if one of their parents is Irish or British or entitled to Irish citizenship.

You don’t have to move their, just take a holiday, have baby, come back to mainland.

given the state of the N.I. health service you be better taking that holiday in RoI

Caporegime
given the state of the N.I. health service you be better taking that holiday in RoI

I guess you'd need to fork out some $$$$ then, I doubt anyone's travel insurance company would be too happy about a deliberate/pre-planned attempt to use medical services. Perhaps a nice private hospital in Dublin would do the trick.

what happens in these days of international travel you fall in love with a EU Girl/boy. post Brexit with a irish passport i can simply go live with them in their country. with a British passport ill spent years on the outside looking in, as the process my application to live in the EU

You'd be rather unfortunate to spend years... I mean if you wanted to get married/get engaged then most countries cater for that. I guess if you didn't want to do that but just wanted to move to the same country on some other basis, work visa etc.. then that is more dependent on your personal situation - perhaps fine for Dave the developer and not so fine for Larry the labourer.

Soldato

Well in the land of the real world it doesn't actually take years because you've just made that up

Associate
I guess you'd need to fork out some $$$$ then, I doubt anyone's travel insurance company would be too happy about a deliberate/pre-planned attempt to use medical services. Perhaps a nice private hospital in Dublin would do the trick.

under the CTA British/Irish have full access to each other health care, you might have a few minor charges but that should be covered by insurance

Associate
Haha, same here.

I wouldn't have been able to stay in France if I didn't get Irish citizenship, I had to change employers, quit my job with a British company and join a Swiss one (no regrets in the end though). BREXIT created a total mess for British expats in Europe and I know many who just gave up and went home or who have been forced home due to work. Companies here can't be bothered to deal with the uncertainty of it all (and why should they bother, most Brits don't speak a word of any other language), so job applications from sole UK nationals are just binned most of the time.

Anyway, both my wife and I now have dual nationality, so we're BREXIT-proofed and we are grateful that we were lucky enough to have the right heritage links. BREXIT is not our problem anymore, the UK can enjoy the next five years of never-ending BREXIT related nonsense, whilst everyone else moves on with more interesting things.

It's probably the one thing in my adult life that I have felt legitimately smug about. None of this is my problem at all and I couldn't care less what happens.

So you live in France but work in Switzerland ?

Caporegime

You've linked to cases where others don't meet the minimum requirements for the UK. Not sure how relevant that is to your previous post "with a British passport I'll spent years on the outside looking in, as the process my application to live in the EU".

Back
Top Bottom