Been scammed!

Associate
OP
Why don't you spend 40 quid on a bat and go visit him?

Assuming you are tasty enough? Which I suspect you are not and you will let this all slide and have a good cry about it.

Lol - If I was 10 years younger, maybe. But I have a young family and a good job. Threatening him with violence won't change anything.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't just forget about this and take the financial hit. He willingly let you drive away with children in the car knowing full well it was unsafe. He can't get away with that.

Maybe I missed something, but what do you suggest that the OP does?
It sounds like he was was unfamiliar with the phrase, “caveat emptor.”
It seems that he jumped in, feet first, without even seeing the car he bought, never a good idea.

Soldato
In reality, they can be very safe. The second-hand market is flooded - I have many old Volvos that are the safest, comfiest and most reliable cars I have owned. It is about supply and demand when it comes to vehicles and the second-hand market. But that's beside the point. Ultimately, he has sold the vehicle knowing it was structurally unsafe but now denies all knowledge. I wouldn't be fussed if he had owned the vehicle for 5 years and just didn't want it, but he purchased it 9 days previous to me from Gumtree, asked the seller to remove it because he didn't want his friends to see what he paid... and then re-listed it on Autotrader stating it was a straight vehicle, for £750 more.

And then you came along and did his job for him. Not only that, but you then put your children in danger by not properly inspecting the vehicle you'd just bought sight unseen.

Caporegime
In reality, they can be very safe. The second-hand market is flooded - I have many old Volvos that are the safest, comfiest and most reliable cars I have owned. It is about supply and demand when it comes to vehicles and the second-hand market. But that's beside the point. Ultimately, he has sold the vehicle knowing it was structurally unsafe but now denies all knowledge. I wouldn't be fussed if he had owned the vehicle for 5 years and just didn't want it, but he purchased it 9 days previous to me from Gumtree, asked the seller to remove it because he didn't want his friends to see what he paid... and then re-listed it on Autotrader stating it was a straight vehicle, for £750 more.

How do you know they are safe if you couldn't tell this was a lemon?

You say you have many old volvos. So what was the point in buying this car? To sell on for a profit?

Soldato
op sorry to hear this but let me be blunt:

You're quibbling over a few hundred £. You're in the bangernomic end of car buying, it's always going to be a minefield. I'd just cut your losses and gamble on another cheap banger. That or be prepared to spend the money for a car that gives you peace of mind.... Mind you, even new cars don't offer that now do they?

I understand you're probably annoyed by the fact you bought a lemon but look at the bigger picture. Just move on, I assure you it won't be worth the stress and effort that it will require.

Associate
OP
How do you know they are safe if you couldn't tell this was a lemon?

You say you have many old volvos. So what was the point in buying this car? To sell on for a profit?
I own a Volvo estate and just fancied this car as something extra and fun - sadly it was 4-5 hours away and I believed what I read on the Autotrader advert. Also, the seller seemed genuine, but it now turns out that was all an act.

Associate
Just had a phone call from the chap - apparently, I'm a numpty that's trying to get the car for a reduced price and the previous owner, according to him, is the scammer. The advert he purchased it from, stating SPARES or REPAIRS meant nothing to him and the only reason he is selling is due to not being able to get insured, not the initial lie which was he was moving to Spain... Hustled.

He needs to be taught a lesson. If he gets away with it then he might do it again but may involve a loss of life. The real numpty is him for his reckless behaviour in putting money before life.

Soldato
Used to be an ebay scam
With cars and PayPal
Not that I am advocating scamming him back of course if its even still possible
But when you had the car collected
Was anything signed to state the car had been collected?
They used to do it on ebay
Buy your car on PayPal
Come collect it
All looks kosher
Then soon as they drive away
They do a charge back
Ebay would never help because you couldn't prove the car had been delivered
Probably closed that loophole with PayPal and cars by now
Though no matter what we advise you
PayPal and/or your credit card company are the only peoples
Advice that's really important

Associate
OP
op sorry to hear this but let me be blunt:

You're quibbling over a few hundred £. You're in the bangernomic end of car buying, it's always going to be a minefield. I'd just cut your losses and gamble on another cheap banger. That or be prepared to spend the money for a car that gives you peace of mind.... Mind you, even new cars don't offer that now do they?

I understand you're probably annoyed by the fact you bought a lemon but look at the bigger picture. Just move on, I assure you it won't be worth the stress and effort it will require.
I totally agree and appreciate your post mate, thanks. I think what I will do is phone my credit card company and ask them before I write it off. I don't want or need the stress and hassle from the seller. I have read this: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/D...ffairs/c-private-sales-and-car-boot-sales.pdf

And the part:

Private sales and car boot sales What the law says When you buy goods from a private individual, for example, by answering an advert in the local paper or at a car boot sale, the law says the goods must:-  match their description. This means they must be as described by the seller. This includes any description on the label. For example, if a seller says a car has a 1800cc engine, it must not have an 1100cc engine. It is important to check goods before you buy, because generally goods brought from a private seller do not have to be free from faults. However, if the seller tells you the goods are in good working order, and they turn out to be faulty, then you may be able to take action on the grounds that the goods did not match their description (see below). People who sell goods as part of their business sometimes pose as private sellers, because then the customer has fewer rights. This is a criminal offence, so if you suspect that a private seller is actually in business you should inform the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0845 404 0506. If you buy goods from someone posing a private seller, you can insist on the same rights as if you had brought the goods in a shop. For example, if the goods are faulty, you may be able to get your money back. It is a criminal offence for someone to sell an unroadworthy car.

The credit card company may be equally liable for any breach of contract if the seller is a trader and:
 they arranged finance for you to pay for the goods; or
 you used your credit card to pay for the goods; and
 the goods cost more than £100 and not more than £30,000 for a single item, although you don’t need to have put the full purchase price on your card.

Soldato
I totally agree and appreciate your post mate, thanks. I think what I will do is phone my credit card company and ask them before I write it off. I don't want or need the stress and hassle from the seller. I have read this: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Documents/Advice factsheets/Consumer Affairs/c-private-sales-and-car-boot-sales.pdf

And the part:

Private sales and car boot sales What the law says When you buy goods from a private individual, for example, by answering an advert in the local paper or at a car boot sale, the law says the goods must:-  match their description. This means they must be as described by the seller. This includes any description on the label. For example, if a seller says a car has a 1800cc engine, it must not have an 1100cc engine. It is important to check goods before you buy, because generally goods brought from a private seller do not have to be free from faults. However, if the seller tells you the goods are in good working order, and they turn out to be faulty, then you may be able to take action on the grounds that the goods did not match their description (see below). People who sell goods as part of their business sometimes pose as private sellers, because then the customer has fewer rights. This is a criminal offence, so if you suspect that a private seller is actually in business you should inform the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0845 404 0506. If you buy goods from someone posing a private seller, you can insist on the same rights as if you had brought the goods in a shop. For example, if the goods are faulty, you may be able to get your money back. It is a criminal offence for someone to sell an unroadworthy car.

The credit card company may be equally liable for any breach of contract if the seller is a trader and:
 they arranged finance for you to pay for the goods; or
 you used your credit card to pay for the goods; and
 the goods cost more than £100 and not more than £30,000 for a single item, although you don’t need to have put the full purchase price on your card.
You did right by paying with cc, at least you have more cover. You're absolutely right though, it's not worth your stress. You won't gain anything by pursuing the guy and if he's that low he'll do it again regardless. Best of luck!

Associate
OP
You did right by paying with cc, at least you have more cover. You're absolutely right though, it's not worth your stress. You won't gain anything by pursuing the guy and if he's that low he'll do it again regardless. Best of luck!
Thanks for the advice, bud. I have never had to do a chargeback or attempt to do one on a credit card. Am I best phoning them and asking for advice or what? Wouldn't know the first place to start.

Associate
Looks like the law does cover you if a private seller sells an unroadworthy car.

Unroadworthy cars

The Road Traffic Act 1988 makes it an offence to sell an unroadworthy car. The Act does not distinguish between private sellers and motor traders.

<read more>

Back
Top Bottom