How much house can you get?

Soldato
OP
What's the point of this thread? The whole location, location, location thing is so obvious it's boring.

Oh look you can't get a flat in London but you can get a 5 bed detached in the outer Hebrides. Shocker.

Well i thought the point was obvious, to see what you can get around the world for the average UK price of a home. Nobody is forcing you to join in :confused:

Caporegime
Not much round here. Literally every house (in the entire county) is owned by some fly-by-night London landlord. And they beat us for an hour solid before letting us come in. With a horse whip.

I'm not even joking.

The fetish thread is in the 10000 post forum. Could a mod move this?

Man of Honour
Immediate area starts at about 300K really - wider (3+ miles) area there are some reasonable 3 bed semi-detached at around 235K.

Soldato
OP
A
2 storey, 3 bed, 2 bath, twin garage. Living area: 234 square metres. Land: 761 square metres.

Capture.png

image-1.jpg

(Source).
And that is why i can't wait to get my citizenship and move to Oz :D

Caporegime
The fetish thread is in the 10000 post forum. Could a mod move this?
Really? You want that post moderated? Seriously?

What you might not realise is that house prices down here are a complete joke, but eventually despair turns into mockery because you can only be so ****ed off for so long before you just shrug your shoulders and give up. I've moaned about house prices a lot on this forum and these days I'm just resigned to the hopelessness of the situation.

This is a thread to get you depressed :p
Truly.

Soldato
A

And that is why i can't wait to get my citizenship and move to Oz :D

I thought Australia was really expensive now or are those pics before the wild fire and only the price has been updated :p (Bad taste, sorry)

I like the look of those detached houses, might have to move to Wales or Notts.

Caporegime
I thought Australia was really expensive now or are those pics before the wild fire and only the price has been updated :p (Bad taste, sorry)

A family member was out that a year or so ago and said it was really cheap compared to the UK (house prices specifically). Guess like everywhere else it depends where you are (within the country where you are).

Soldato

Generalising and saying that Australia is cheap is like generalising and saying that the UK is expensive. Both statements are false.

Soldato
OP

When I was in Oz in August, on the Gold Coast / Brisbane, I had it in my mind that i wanted to move over there as it's amazing, though i've not experienced the 40+ degree heat there yet! I was checking out prices for properties on the GC and they were A LOT cheaper than here in Auckland for what you get, added to that the much better salaries on offer, it makes sense to at the very least, consider it a viable option for us in the near future, though my dilemma is, i could go over now on a 5 year visa with my wife as she's a Kiwi and automatically qualifies to live there and my visa is only about $300. But then i lose the time i've lived in NZ which would go towards my citizenship after 5 years of permanent residency. That said, i can apply for citizenship in Oz after 4 years living there, which would also mean i can come back to NZ, so I really don't know what to do lol! We have family living about 30 minutes north of Brisbane and they seem to be doing alright and enjoying i there. I can't do anything yet until the building lease is up for renewal at the restaurant we operate but we don't think we'll be renewing it.

Man of Honour
I was trying to think of a really cheap area and I came up with the most infamous one - Detroit.

Want a fixer-upper?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3320-Richton-St-Detroit-MI-48206/88552633_zpid/

6 bedrooms, detached, 2800 square feet for the house and 1500 square feet for the garden (plus the option to buy another 4300 square feet of grass adjacent to it to make a huge garden). £13K. About the price of a cupboard in London.

or maybe you want a place that's already nice?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1659-Longfellow-St-Detroit-MI-48206/88775754_zpid/

4 storeys, 4 bathrooms, 5 bedrooms and a nice balcony overlooking the rear garden. 5,227 square feet in total. £142K.

Soldato
Most of the cheap properties in Detroit have huge liens for unpaid property taxes that need settling before you can take ownership so they’re not as cheap as they appear at first glance...

“As-is sale. Sold via QCD. Buyer is responsible for back-taxes and back water bills.”

Man of Honour
Most of the cheap properties in Detroit have huge liens for unpaid property taxes that need settling before you can take ownership so they’re not as cheap as they appear at first glance...

“As-is sale. Sold via QCD. Buyer is responsible for back-taxes and back water bills.”

Reminds me awhile back I was trying to look up an old friend in the US and their old address (at least two owners since them) had something funky like that on it - didn't make much sense to me at the time. (Wasn't even a particularly cheap property but it had some lien type charge against it).

Back
Top Bottom