*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
When you say ONT do you mean the combined Genexis ONT/router/access point thing? Also what service tier are you on? I think you can just about get away with 1Gbps through an ER-X but they're old boxes now.

Associate
They no longer supply Genexis, just a small white box where the fibre terminates and a two Linksys Velop Mesh WiFi system, one of them has to connect to the ONS with Ethernet.

Soldato
It's linked from The Register article but if you want to disable all the phoning home guff you need to add a file, config.properties into the site directory on your controller. If you only have 1 site then the probably directory to put that file on a Linux box is /var/lib/unifi/sites/default. Create a file called config.properties and add this line:
Code:
config.system_cfg.1=system.analytics.anonymous=disabled

Save and set the ownership to unifi:unifi. Restart the controller (possibly not necessary but can't do any harm) then force each device to provision.

You could also block the Unifi kit from being allowed access to the internet. It's the kit itself that uploads the data, not the controller. I'd already denied my kit internet access some time ago but I did specifically allow 123/udp out.

Yet another option is to block the domain trace.svc.ui.com in DNS. Pi-Hole makes that nice and easy.

It's all stuff that shouldn't be necessary. There should be a bit OFF toggle in the controller that disables everything, not just the PII stuff.

Associate
Well this is a turn up. While waiting for the router I've setup the Velox nodes, and WiFi coverage is as good as the Ubiquiti AP with better download speeds. I'm on 300 Mbps up\down service, Ubiquity WiFi speed 150 Mbps, Velox 240 Mbps.

I will return the router.

Caporegime
My home setup is a BT Smart Hub 2 and one of the extension discs. I don't want to deal with networking when I get in from work. If the ONT and Velop combo works for you then stick with it.

Caporegime
Also has anybody been able to figure out why the UniFi Smart Power plug - an item designed to sit with the Internet modem and USG - was designed as a wireless device rather than something basic that connected via USB?

Associate
My home setup is a BT Smart Hub 2 and one of the extension discs. I don't want to deal with networking when I get in from work. If the ONT and Velop combo works for you then stick with it.

I will stick with the Velop, but I do like messing around with things, particularly the Unifi software, and was looking forward to setting up Ubiquiti Router but not if there will be no improvement.

Soldato
Also has anybody been able to figure out why the UniFi Smart Power plug - an item designed to sit with the Internet modem and USG - was designed as a wireless device rather than something basic that connected via USB?

Possibly because the USG is often far, far, away from the modem and a USB cable wouldn’t reach, but more likely because no UniFi device has a functional USB port?

Soldato
The VHT40/VHT80 is also very important. By default they ship at VHT20 so you won’t do much better than 215Mbps under absolutely perfect conditions and I could see why you would get 150Mbps if running VHT20. On VHT40 with an AP-InWallHD I see 350Mbps in the same room.

Associate
That doesn’t measure the WiFi speed. That’s your internet speed. Use WiFi sweet spot. It’ll tell you the speed of your AP

My misunderstanding. Internet speed is 300Mbps up and down. Another reason I'm sticking with the Velop is, I have to connect my car to the internet and it gives a stronger signal to the car parked on the drive.

Signal strength using Wifi signal meter: Ubiquity: Just the dot. Velop, Dot and one bar illuminated.

I will try WiFi Sweetspots.

Associate
A quick test with Sweetspots. At the car: Velops 60Mbps. Ubiquity 28 Mbps. This probably not a fair test as the Ubquiti is upstairs and the nearest Velop is near the front door.

Back
Top Bottom