Phillip Schofield comes out as gay

Associate
The only thing about this that shocked me today was how long my coworkers discussed it with what appeared to be interest.

Hope he feels happier now he's let it out of the bag but no idea why anybody that's not close to him cares.

Soldato
"So brave, so courageous... "

He "bravely" lied to his wife for 27 years. He bravely continued the lie long after other homosexual men and women with high profile jobs came out of the closet, risking their careers. Now in 2020 when homosexuality is - in most aspects of life - a total non-issue, he decides to finally come out? What a coward! His wife is the brave one. His wife is the one who deserves praise. He is a coward who lied to a woman for 27 years because he was "confused".

I am utterly indifferent to his sexuality, who he bangs is of no consequence to me. But we should not celebrate people who lie and ruin relationships for their own selfish desires, especially when he was happy to lie for the sake of his career for 27 years to the person who he should have held closest to himself.

I should add: I am not unsympathetic to people who struggle with their sexuality, but the moment you know you should be ending your relationship. If he knew 20 years ago, perhaps his wife could have found someone to spend the twilight years of her life with instead of realising everything was just a sham.

Soldato
Am I the only one who finds someone's sexual preference irrelevant/boring

Nope you're not the only one. I'm interested in their career, so what movie an actor is going to be in or when a musician is releasing a new album or going on tour etc. but what (or in this case who) they do outside of their career is their business and none of mine.

Edit:
Though on the subject of coming out, surely the media is self perpetuating the stigma of coming out. Celebrities are more in the public eye but if someone coming out makes national news, it surely has to give people second thoughts about coming out themselves because of the way the media will report it or people will take it.

Caporegime

He "bravely" lied to his wife for 27 years. He bravely continued the lie long after other homosexual men and women with high profile jobs came out of the closet, risking their careers. Now in 2020 when homosexuality is - in most aspects of life - a total non-issue, he decides to finally come out? What a coward! His wife is the brave one. His wife is the one who deserves praise. He is a coward who lied to a woman for 27 years because he was "confused".

I am utterly indifferent to his sexuality, who he bangs is of no consequence to me. But we should not celebrate people who lie and ruin relationships for their own selfish desires, especially when he was happy to lie for the sake of his career for 27 years to the person who he should have held closest to himself.

I should add: I am not unsympathetic to people who struggle with their sexuality, but the moment you know you should be ending your relationship. If he knew 20 years ago, perhaps his wife could have found someone to spend the twilight years of her life with instead of realising everything was just a sham.
Spot on.

The shock news here is that he has/had a wife.

I’d taken it as a given he’d been out for years :o

Soldato
I'm more surprised that in this day and age and with him working in the extremely "lurvy" world of showbiz that he felt necessary to keep it a secret in the first place. We're decades past the point where sexual orientation made any difference in world of entertainment.

I think one of the last big "barriers" to fall in gay acceptance is sports, particularly football where gay players still feel stigmatised which, again in this day and age, shouldn't be a thing and it's a massive shame that it still is.

Soldato
I find it quite ironic that we live in a world in which homosexuality is accepted (and rightfully so), yet whenever a high profile individual comes out as gay, the press go into overdrive and make a big deal about it. So what if he's gay? I personally couldn't give a flying ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime

It's the bigots what did this, we all have a shared responsibility in this society to put up an acceptable moral authority with each other and if people felt the need to hide from it, then it's ultimately societies fault.

This country hasn't anything close to a stable moral authority for over a century though, marriage is all risk nowadays, additionally it's hardly like people aren't selfish and told be selfish to get ahead in life... that's simply the society we live in.

'Nobody cares, do it yourself' has been the motto since the 60s.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've seen people come out on social media and because they didn't make a big enough fuss about it, they were accused of disliking the fact that they were gay and were therefore branded homophobic... By SJWs of course. Makes me wonder if this is the reason celebs make a big deal about coming out to the public. They don't want to face a backlash for 'not doing enough'.

Caporegime
I've seen people come out on social media and because they didn't make a big enough fuss about it, they were accused of disliking the fact that they were gay and were therefore branded homophobic... By SJWs of course. Makes me wonder if this is the reason celebs make a big deal about coming out to the public. They don't want to face a backlash for 'not doing enough'.

No. Celebs make a big deal because they're celebs.

You've now on purpose turned this thread into something about SJWs, why?

Caporegime
I'm surprised this has been at the top of the BBC homepage almost all day.

Must be a slow news day. Either that or the BBC is turning into the Sun/Star.

Edit - in fact there are now two articles about it at the top of the front page. What the hell.

Back
Top Bottom