Is this tyre knackered?

Soldato
Is this tyre past the point at which it should be used on the road? Somebody I know has just picked up an 08 plate car that has only has 35k on the clock so I don't know how old these tyres are.

The issue I have is they want to use it to ferry my 2 year old daughter around & with the state of these tyres i'm not sure that's really a good idea, what are peoples thoughts on here?

it's been an advisory on the last few MOT's.

dyHABlX.jpg

Soldato
Does look like the rubber has started to perish. As others have said, I'd be changing it if it were my car. You can still pick up a reasonable set of budget tyres for not too expensive these days.

Associate
Surprised that hasn't failed the MOT not been just an advisory. No idea if they are safe or not but I wouldn't want my daughter near a car with them on.

Associate
Check the date code on the side wall. It'll be 4 digits e.g. 0120. 0120 means week 1 of the year 2020. You'll probably find these are circa 2013/14 judging the photo.

But I wouldn't go on the motorway on that tyre - no chance. Might be fine around town at low speeds if someone was desperate not to replace it.

Soldato
OP
Check the date code on the side wall. It'll be 4 digits e.g. 0120. 0120 means week 1 of the year 2020. You'll probably find these are circa 2013/14 judging the photo.

But I wouldn't go on the motorway on that tyre - no chance. Might be fine around town at low speeds if someone was desperate not to replace it.

I've tried to read the markings, but the sidewall is in such a state that I can't make them out properly.

Soldato
I wouldn’t want my kids being driven around on those and would willingly pay for a new tyre or two if that’s what it took.

The chances are they will be fine but you just never know and if nothing were to happen the cost of the tyre(s) isn’t worth the regret.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I'd replace that definitely, sods law says you'll have an issue at the worst possible time in the rain on a motorway :p

Caporegime
As above, replace. And buy a decent tyre from a decent brand. You don’t need to buy Michelin (although I’d recommend them) but at least buy a brand you’ve heard of. Yokohama, Kumho, Vredestein, Uniroyal etc. and I’d probably even buy two on the same axle. If one tyre is like that chances are the other will be too.

Soldato
OP
As above, replace. And buy a decent tyre from a decent brand. You don’t need to buy Michelin (although I’d recommend them) but at least buy a brand you’ve heard of. Yokohama, Kumho, Vredestein, Uniroyal etc. and I’d probably even buy two on the same axle. If one tyre is like that chances are the other will be too.

If it was my car it'd be having 4 Goodyear efficient grips on it, just put 4 Efficient Grip Preformance on the Wifes car & I am running Asymmetric 3's.

Surprised that hasn't failed the MOT not been just an advisory. No idea if they are safe or not but I wouldn't want my daughter near a car with them on.

Pretty sure if a tyre has more than 1.6mm of tread & the cords aren't showing it can only be put down as an advisory.

Last edited:
Associate
That looks fubar, are the others in similar condition? Probably worth getting a full set, or at the very least getting rid of that timebomb....

Soldato
I’ve binned better looking tyres off my wheelbarrow.

I wouldn’t be happy letting a pizza be delivered using those tyres, let alone a child.

OP needs to go outside and give his head a wobble just for thinking that tyre is remotely acceptable.

Soldato
OP
OP needs to go outside and give his head a wobble just for thinking that tyre is remotely acceptable.

Where have I said I think it's even remotely acceptable?

I posted as I want the opinion of others as some people think I'm over reacting by saying that I don't want my daughter travelling in that car until the tyres are replaced.

Back
Top Bottom