Something a bit different! Model Power Boating. RC Catamaran build thread.

Caporegime
OP
Update. It got wet!

But it broke again! But we didn't crash :p

We did a lot of testing before committing to trying and sailing it and during testing the throttle linkage broke AGAIN (it's a metal threaded rod this time so not sure how) and also we found a fuel leak.

So we came home. Fuel leak is repaired and the servo rod has now been soldered in place this time.

Tomorrow, we try again!

We did get the whole thing on GoPro though, so I can share that later :D

Caporegime
OP
It's over two hours 'later', Jake. Where's the footage? :D
Not sure when it will be Mr Feek :D my MacBook isn't exactly a video editing workhorse. But I do fly home on Monday so I'd say Monday is a safe bet.

Also hopefully I'll have lots of video footage from tomorrow to compliment it :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
OMG it is a Missile :D - what I have I done. It is scary quick!

Had a spectacular day. More info and footage to follow later - overall incredible successful which ended with a bang :D

Caporegime
OP
So, today!

The work from yesterday was worthwhile, no issues with the throttle today, we did find another fuel leak (which I since fixed) - we spent a good couple of hours fiddling with the fuel mixture config and trying to get it to run correctly. The fruits of our labour soon began to pay off :D

However, we did have a mishap today! (I did say it ended with a bang) - I was having a good run keeping it at more or less full speed (which is scarily quick...the acceleration is beastly) - during this we noticed that the boat was cavitating and the prop needed lowering. Before this was done and on a particularly speedy bit the boat bounced along with a strong gust of wind hitting the lake and the whole boat went airbourne :eek: :D

Exhaust mount broke off, taking the exhaust with it which is now at the bottom of the lake :D

New one ordered. Need to make a new exhaust mount and find a way of fitting it in a stronger & more secure fashion.

Exciting day and absolutely brilliant all round. I do have GoPro footage but the GoPros died while we were messing around with the setup but I can post some footage later anyway :) - I am back in March so there will be more then.

Commissario
which is scarily quick...the acceleration is beastly
You're not kidding, that was incredibly quick. Please hold the phone in landscape mode next time though - It means it's easier for you to track and it's so much nicer to view.

Having said that, let's see some more footage, I'm drooling :D

Caporegime
OP
Woof, that thing is quick! Shame about the exhaust, but I imagine that's fixable with less effort than the last mishap :)
Yes indeed. What I will do next time is put longer threads onto the exhaust mount so I can physically bolt it down underneath the shell. So it can't come off again :)

Caporegime
OP
You're not kidding, that was incredibly quick. Please hold the phone in landscape mode next time though - It means it's easier for you to track and it's so much nicer to view.

Having said that, let's see some more footage, I'm drooling :D

Yes normally I am not guilty of VFS but the excitement got to me :D

I will go through the GoPro footage when I get home tomorrow and Tuesday and get something posted. Its nothing too exciting. We were still having lots of problems before it really got going though but its still fun. I also have some other phone videos. I'll go through those as well.

In other news, the manufacturer of the boat (who is world famous in the RC Boating world) has put photos of my one on his website, which is unheard of! :D - he emailed me saying it looks amazing - see link. https://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/ORION48.htm

Proud as punch right now! :D

Caporegime
OP
One thing that is crazy about this boat. When its going slow it does not turn very well...you HAVE to drive it fast for it to handle properly :eek: - its a racing boat through and through!

Caporegime
OP
Evening everyone.

I got around to going through the GoPro footage and trying my hand at editing.

Apologies for the quality and artifacting. I am still very much learning. Hope you enjoy. :)

Soldato
Footage looks amazing! I skipped a few bits so sorry if it's explained but I have questions -

- What's the brown stuff splooping out of the exhaust?

- How come the boat appears the shift relative to the camera? Is it a flexible mount? Almost looks like the camera leads the steering!

- Does the boat turn left or only right? :p

I think you should keep the GoPro on there at all times, the first person/water level perspective is great! I once went on a trip up the Thames in a little speedboat and the photos were lovely, it looks so nice right down on the water :)

Commissario
Watched that all the way through, very interesting. Is it just a case of tweaking until you get it to a state where it doesn't stall? How is the boat recovered each time?

Back
Top Bottom