Windows 7 updates

Soldato
I nearly got caught this morning (I think) - I had a windows message telling me windows updates is turned off and I should turn it on.-Also showing one important update - Was just about to hit the button but went into control panel -updates - and it is showing "No important updates available with green bar on left.
The other message had the red bar. - So have I just dodged a scam and has anyone else had this message - if so is it legit? as I know there shouldn't be anymore updates.

Soldato
OP
I did try to dual boot w7 with w10 but it went horribly wrong - So now I am still on W7 on main PC and W10 on backup PC - all I wanted to do was use W10 to get used to it before going over to it.

I am now stuck on W7 on main PC because I used the W10 key on backup.

Just waiting for another Key sale on MM.

Man of Honour
Yes 10 can be a bit iffy, so can 7.

Key difference for me though is when you try to sort issues - way too often with 10 they've either tried to take control away from the end user or they've implemented such a complicated system you can't actually do anything (without a ton of messing about) - without resorting to a full wipe and reinstall. At least with 7 you can usually take control, isolate the issues and sort it on your own terms even if they are a bit of a pain sometimes to fix.

Also I have to laugh at he people touting 10 as being more secure, largely on that basis of it being newer and shinier, sure there is the element that newer is usually better supported on the security front but right now they are so many security issues with 10 at such a high frequency that any such point is completely null and void until MS get their **** together - some of these security issues 100% should not have been there in the first place. For some reason when Intel have as critical security issues everyone is up in arms about it but when it is MS it almost goes uncommented on and some of the recent MS ones have actually been a lot more usable against the average consumer than the Intel ones that are more useful against specific targets in multi-user or server/hosting environments. Granted to their credit MS have been on the ball fixing these issues but as above too many of them shouldn't have even existed in the first place.

EDIT: Had a good chuckle reading an article earlier - every other paragraph was mentioning unspecifically how Windows 7 was insecure, old and a recipe for malware while all but one of the security issues they mentioned were Windows 10 specific and the one Windows 7 issue was patched by MS anyhow - it was almost like they were paid to keep saying how bad 7 was.

Last edited:
Soldato
There’s regular discussions at there’s some of us that doesn’t and hasn’t had any issues with 10 at all.

Some people do but most don’t. The ones who don’t have issues don’t speak up about it. The ones who do get issues are the ones who shout loudest.

I have been on 10 for about a year. I also still have a couple 7 PC's and they are,and have been, far more solid than 10.

With windows 10, there seems to be a lot of "All you have to do is... "

With 7? Just turn on your PC and it works.

Man of Honour
I don't understand the control panel menu is the same as windows 7. The start menu is nearly the same as 7 apart from it has tiles on the side, which can be turned off.

Try things like changing Bluetooth settings the options are all over the place between 3 different sets of menus and some of them even direct you to the old control panel but then when you click an option there it takes you back to a different part of the new settings and vice versa.

Soldato
Why on earth people are still on 7 I do not know. Some people just love to hold on.

I have Win 7 running on my Gen 8 HP Microserver and it works. I cannot update the BIOS etc and am not sure if the gen 8 microserver will run win 10 with a 2014 BIOS. so I am leaving well alone.

I don't leave it running all of the time - I switch it on , add any backup file / photo updates and then turn it off. This minimises any security risk. Mel

Associate
EDIT: Had a good chuckle reading an article earlier - every other paragraph was mentioning unspecifically how Windows 7 was insecure, old and a recipe for malware while all but one of the security issues they mentioned were Windows 10 specific and the one Windows 7 issue was patched by MS anyhow - it was almost like they were paid to keep saying how bad 7 was.

We've been here before when people hung onto WinXP. It was fine at first, but as support dwindled the cracks appeared. You'll be fine on 7 for a while yet, but there will be a tipping point.

Man of Honour
We've been here before when people hung onto WinXP. It was fine at first, but as support dwindled the cracks appeared. You'll be fine on 7 for a while yet, but there will be a tipping point.

I don't actually recommend people hang onto Windows 7 longer than absolutely necessary [if they can live with 10] - but it cracks me up when people tout 10 over the security side at this point - it certainly isn't covering itself in glory on that front. Personally I find 10 needs a LOT of work as well - I'm not particularly attached to 7 as such and have around a dozen devices on 10 but side by side using 7 and 10 daily 10 drives me up the wall in terms of usability in comparison to 7 over so many aspects.

Back
Top Bottom