The "Top Gear", Season 24/25/26 thread

Soldato
Not a particularly good advert for the team supplying the vehicle. GPS never worked properly, drive belt failure which took out wiring and then the power steering quit.
I'd agree with you on the GPS, whilst tech can fail it seems surprising they didn't have a spare ready to go or notice earlier! Can't say I'm enough of a mechanic to really comment on the belt failing, as for the power steering - looked like the car took a massive thump from a rock or something rather than just breaking? If so it seems a little unfair to blame the team for that one!

Re: the quick car reviews, amusing for me. Quick enough that it doesn't drag and enjoy watching Chris Harris slam all the crappy SUVs available these days!

Soldato
Reasonable episode. As said, massive shame the Baha thing had to be cut short, that could have been really interesting. As above, can't comment on the car, but GPS not working? I bet it's a £1,000+ unit, solely to navigate and it couldn't even lock a signal? Whip out a £150 mobile phone to do it instead then... kind of weird. I wonder if they had to move much around because of that? I expect that would have been most of the show had they carried on?

No idea who those two guests were, were interesting enough. It's interesting, when someone says they've done motorbike track days I almost always assume they'll do a good time. He did look quick. I think it's always a bit unfair when they have to do the track in wet conditions, but I guess nothing can be done about that. He nailed the speed on the width restrictions though. Pretty impressive tbh.

daz

daz

Soldato
I was surprised the Gallardo didn't pull ahead further than the Cayman and Megane. I think i'd have the Cayman out of the three, personally.

Would have been interesting to see Chris drive the Cayman through the slalom. I don't think he would have made much difference on the Gallardo which is always going to be understeery.

daz

daz

Soldato
That section could easily have been a bigger proportion of the show - perhaps a road trip, do some shopping, etc. I know it's been done before but I still find it entertaining. :D

Didn't help Paddy had the roof down on the Gallardo. Probably adds 0.5 seconds to 0-60 :p

Soldato
Not sure about yours, but mine doesn't have the Baha maps built into it?

Why would that matter? How does software come into this? The hardware was what failed. I'm not being literal, I'm saying the hardware on a £150 would work, it's odd they have probably a £1,000 unit that the simplest (yet vital) thing failed. Hell, I think I've had tech for £60 with reliable GPS in it.

Soldato
Why would that matter? How does software come into this? The hardware was what failed. I'm not being literal, I'm saying the hardware on a £150 would work, it's odd they have probably a £1,000 unit that the simplest (yet vital) thing failed. Hell, I think I've had tech for £60 with reliable GPS in it.
I've not checked, but i'd have thought google maps would do it, just think of the roaming charges though:eek::D.

Soldato
Yeah, I'm sure it would, but it wouldn't have the actual course plotted on it. Mind you, you could easily do this before you set out. My point was around how simple a task it was and they probably had crazy expensive equipment doing it and it failed...

Soldato
F1 cars have minimum weight regulations. If that was to go, combined with enough fuel for 12 miles and active aero...

Even a modern F1 car will likely be enough. The Goodwood lap was set by a 1998 F1 car. In Monaco that car set a race lap record of 1:22.9 and by 2002 the race lap record was 1:18.0. Then the track changed, so hard to compare, but it is safe to say cars weren't getting slower.

edit:

1:19.8 and 1:16.6 for the pole laps comparison.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom