Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
VM won't run Ethernet or supply a second cable modem, will they?

Trying to sort my parents install out. Coax enters the house upstairs to feed the cable modem in the study and downstairs to feed the (old non-V6) TV box in the lounge.

Problem is the house is ancient with thick walls and wifi is a disaster with very little coverage downstairs. Tried wifi extenders and powerline but they're too flaky.

Assuming the above is true, I'm thinking my only proper solution is to run Ethernet from the study downstairs to provide hardwired connections and feed a second Wifi access point.

This is not only needed for general devices but also if they upgrade to a V6 box as these now require an Ethernet connection for on-demand content, whereas the old boxes can access it via the coax. This is a really annoying change.

Soldato
This is not only needed for general devices but also if they upgrade to a V6 box as these now require an Ethernet connection for on-demand content, whereas the old boxes can access it via the coax. This is a really annoying change.

This isnt true, my v6 box does not have an Ethernet connection only connected by WiFi. Use netflix and amazon prime no problem.

Permabanned
Correct the lazy bast installer was supposed to wire my mums bedroom box but he left it on weak WIFI (did not even mess with HUB3 settings to improve it), the living room one next to the HUB3 is wired.

The older boxes had a built in 20Mb/s Modem locked to 10Mb/s.

Soldato
VM won't run Ethernet or supply a second cable modem, will they?

Trying to sort my parents install out. Coax enters the house upstairs to feed the cable modem in the study and downstairs to feed the (old non-V6) TV box in the lounge.

Problem is the house is ancient with thick walls and wifi is a disaster with very little coverage downstairs. Tried wifi extenders and powerline but they're too flaky.

Assuming the above is true, I'm thinking my only proper solution is to run Ethernet from the study downstairs to provide hardwired connections and feed a second Wifi access point.

1 modem per property and no, they won’t run cat5 or similar, that’s your job. They will install the modem in a suitable location though at the point of install (lift/reinstate your own floorboards, no roof/loft work), so if you chose not to have it where you now want it, you can pay for an engineer to come out/move it or alternatively extend it yourself, but in the event of a fault, that’s on you.

Last edited:
Soldato
This isnt true, my v6 box does not have an Ethernet connection only connected by WiFi. Use netflix and amazon prime no problem.

Sorry, I meant Ethernet or Wifi - basically it needs a dedicated Internet connection via one of these two means, it can no longer use the coax connection directly.

Soldato
@Vertigo1
Is it possible to run repeaters under the floorboards of the first floor? If you centred one repeater, it should serve two rooms pretty well. Doing it this way will halve the amount of repeaters you need if it works well enough.

Soldato
@Vertigo1
Is it possible to run repeaters under the floorboards of the first floor? If you centred one repeater, it should serve two rooms pretty well. Doing it this way will halve the amount of repeaters you need if it works well enough.

If I have to lift carpets and floorboards, I may as well just run Ethernet.

Soldato
Over the past few days ive had loads of spam calls im assuming its a result of my data being breached by virgin media.

One of the numbers that called is +8001836408

Now this is almost a virgin sales number ( 08001836408 ) so its pretty certain people are pretending to be virgin.

Soldato
Virgin was installed Saturday and everything seems to be fine.
I set up a Broadband quality Monitor and i cant seem to understand what is going on

packet%20loss_zpsulcsihug.png
packet%20loss_zpsulcsihug.png

i was using the pc from 7pm to 11pm and it was used from 8am this morning and havent noticed anything

speed%20test_zpsypwe6mxq.png

Anything to worry about?

Soldato
Has anyone else's connection suddenly dropped to a quarter UL speed? I'm starting to have to bounce the modem more and more, too.

We've had a solid 380/38-ish connection for months. Now it's no more than about 10Mbps up. I'd get hold of Virgin and have them come out but that's always such a farce.

Back
Top Bottom