Football and the Coronavirus

Man of Honour
Thought we should have a thread for all of this as it's affecting all competitions quite seriously.

From The Times:

All football matches in England will be played behind closed doors under government plans to combat coronavirus that could be triggered as early as tomorrow.

Season ticket holders can stream games
No games in pubs
No 3pm live games for rest of season

Juventus have announced that Italy centre-back Daniele Rugani has tested positive for coronavirus.

The Serie A side said they are "activating all the isolation procedures required by law", including for those who have come into contact with Rugani.

Caporegime
Probably a good idea. I would guess a lot of people won't really be effected by this but they could easily infect people around them that are more susceptible.

I know my Dad was classed as high risk when he was having chemo, and that was just if he picked up a cold, so this could easily wipe out a lot of cancer patients.

Caporegime
The second one is most important really. Like tonight the PSG game was behind closed doors but moronic fans were gathering outside the stadium instead. Do they not understand why these measures are happening?

Don
The second one is most important really. Like tonight the PSG game was behind closed doors but moronic fans were gathering outside the stadium instead. Do they not understand why these measures are happening?
I read somewhere that PSG were actively trying to get a big screen set up in Paris of supporters to watch the game :o Thankfully the local authorities stopped them.

Unfortunately you're not going to be able to prevent supporters gathering. At some point in the next 10 days or so it's likely that Liverpool will be playing to win the League, there's not a chance that supporters are staying at home. There will be fans lining the streets to welcome the team bus and hopefully celebrate at the final whistle.

Caporegime
I read somewhere that PSG were actively trying to get a big screen set up in Paris of supporters to watch the game :o Thankfully the local authorities stopped them.

Unfortunately you're not going to be able to prevent supporters gathering. At some point in the next 10 days or so it's likely that Liverpool will be playing to win the League, there's not a chance that supporters are staying at home. There will be fans lining the streets to welcome the team bus and hopefully celebrate at the final whistle.
Would be a massive bummer if Liverpool couldn’t have a parade after so many years of waiting :(

Man of Honour
I haven’t even thought about the risks of watching football live in my locals. That's it for me, I travel on multiple trains to commute, work in a university, provide support to students that are 80% international on one campus, and care for someone close to 60 with tonnes of underlying health conditions. I’m a walking incubator for it.

No 3pm live games. What does that mean? No 3pm games are shown live anyway in the UK?

That’s a baffling one, I can only assume the 3pms won’t be ticketed and played behind closed doors.

Caporegime
I haven’t even thought about the risks of watching football live in my locals. That's it for me, I travel on multiple trains to commute, work in a university, provide support to students that are 80% international on one campus, and care for someone close to 60 with tonnes of underlying health conditions. I’m a walking incubator for it.

That’s a baffling one, I can only assume the 3pms won’t be ticketed and played behind closed doors.
But it says all matches will be played behind closed doors anyway :confused:

Also, will clubs have to offer a partial refund on season tickets?

Soldato
But seriously what happens then if it does ?

That's the million dollar question. My guess is the whole season is null and void, no relegation or promotions. Positions from last season will be used to say which teams play in which European competitions next season. I guess if Liverpool manage to win the league before it gets stopped then that could stand. Would be interesting to see how authorities deal with it all.

Caporegime
That's the million dollar question. My guess is the whole season is null and void, no relegation or promotions. Positions from last season will be used to say which teams play in which European competitions next season. I guess if Liverpool manage to win the league before it gets stopped then that could stand. Would be interesting to see how authorities deal with it all.
No ones win can stand. Totally blank year, we start again when the worlds situation allows us to.

Don
I'm curious as to why people think the League would be completely cancelled. Put football to the side for a minute, do people believe that the world is just going to stand still for x months or years? There might be restrictions on travel and events that involve large gatherings but generally speaking we're still going to be going about our daily lives as before. Games might be delayed and or played behind closed doors but football is not just going to stop.

Caporegime
Italy have suspended all their games and might not finish the season...if things go the way they are, it is possible that happens here and Liverpool might not get to be "champions", well they could by default by calling the season as it stands but technically they won't be mathematically. That will put a cloud on otherwise a pretty much flawless PL season. To be Champions with a * attached to it in history.

Back
Top Bottom