Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2020, Melbourne - Race 1/22

Rate the marble racing video

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I'm all for F1 waking up to a reality that isn't based 100% around money, but not at the expense of potentially thousands of jobs.

Yeah, that'll suck. But what can you do if the current size of the sprawling mess is completely unsustainable without doing dumb stuff like continuing to hold races on far-flung continents in the midst of a pandemic, because you're afraid of missing out on those sweet, sweet dollars?

Soldato
I'm all for F1 waking up to a reality that isn't based 100% around money, but not at the expense of potentially thousands of jobs.
But something has to give. You cant put peoples health and lives at risk hosting this during a pendamic.

Nearly every single world wide sports event is being canceled/posponed now:

La liga football,
PL debating to play behind closed doors
Rugby games where called off earlier
NBA is done

etc etc

Time for f1 to cough up the billions they honestly already have in there back pockets and just pay compensation for the jobs that would be lost and start again next year.

This virus willl not dissapear in a few months time.

At earlies, this time next year fingers crossed.

We need to wait until october/nov flu season time to see if this virus explodes again.

Honestly its a total mess.

Caporegime
But something has to give. You cant put peoples health and lives at risk hosting this during a pendamic.

Nearly every single world wide sports event is being canceled/posponed now:

La liga football,
PL debating to play behind closed doors
Rugby games where called off earlier
NBA is done

etc etc

Time for f1 to cough up the billions they honestly already have in there back pockets and just pay compensation for the jobs that would be lost and start again next year.

This virus willl not dissapear in a few months time.

At earlies, this time next year fingers crossed.

We need to wait until october/nov flu season time to see if this virus explodes again.

Honestly its a total mess.
If there’s no championship this season, and with reduced or no races the circuits won’t be wanting to pay their hosting fees, there will be no prize money. Without it I could see Haas withdrawing, Williams going to the wall or being sold and a few other teams struggling with massive bills. As ‘rich’ as Liberty are I doubt they could afford to bankroll F1 to the non manufacturer backed teams and I’m also unsure Mercedes, Fiat and Renault would be happy with no advertising and even the sponsors looking for refunds or discounts. It could kill F1 for good.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Apparently the team bosses and Liberty have met and the race is going ahead without McLaren.

Of course it is.

The smaller teams, well, that's two cars out of the way in the quest for the lower points positions. The larger teams, well, they won't be the first to blink and pull out just in case their championship rivals don't follow. And Liberty, well, they won't want the financial hit.

Hooray for the stupidity of it all.

Soldato
No of course they can't, I was just replying to those above me who were saying they hope that the F1 self-implodes by mentioning that while I hope they wake up enough to see through the dollar signs, that it's not just about the 'circus' but also those doing day-to-day jobs... jobs which will be at risk if this turns into the cluster-**** it potentially could be.

Health of course has to come first.

Man of Honour
Apparently the team bosses and Liberty have met and the race is going ahead without McLaren.

Like the UK, they are putting money before common sense and wellbeing. That is a poor decision. I just hope Mercedes wipe the floor with everyone to make it an even bigger mockery of a season.

Soldato
No confirmation yet from F1 or FIA that I've seen.

Either way, if they have postponed it at this stage then I think questions need to be asked about why they waited until the clock had struck half past useful...
Awaiting test results, its not a big deal for them either it happens or it doesnt. The incubation for the virus is long so they woudl have got it a fair while back , its not like they where getting it just because they went to Australia.

Back
Top Bottom