When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
While the 5 year lifespan is a ‘tad’ short it’s clear that charge networks are not making profits in the short term and that’s all we can measure right now. It’s all about the long term growth of the sector.

Most of them are just ploughing cash to secure locations and gain first mover advantage. Their general utilisation is hardly breaking double digits. I expect all the start ups are working on the basis of securing as many prime locations as possible and waiting to be bought out by a big energy company (aka charge master).

It’s not a new phenomenon but at least it makes more sense than buying a silly app for £1b...

Soldato
Most of the big DC charging manufacturers allow on-site upgrades. It's power delivery, with a small embedded computed board (swapable) and and integrated 2G/3G/4G with Ethernet as an option also.

Soldato
It doesn’t help that people actively avoid ecotricity chargers though, they are pretty poor and unreliable compared to other networks.
Sorry, but that's really not been my experience. The only time I've ever seen one 'not working' it's because some muppet has pushed the emergency stop button. In the old days, this required an engineer to travel to the site to reset them. However now, if you follow the on screen instructions you can reset them yourself.

Soldato
Sorry, but that's really not been my experience. The only time I've ever seen one 'not working' it's because some muppet has pushed the emergency stop button. In the old days, this required an engineer to travel to the site to reset them. However now, if you follow the on screen instructions you can reset them yourself.

But you drive a Chademo car?

They’re terrible for CCS. Some sites don’t have CCS at all, it’s only on one of the chargers and chances are it’s broken anyway. I’ve been let down so many times I avoid them like the plague now.

Soldato
Are Harry’s comments/findings regarding the radar cruise and autopilot accurate in this? He really doesn’t seem to rate it, he obviously has very extensive experience in all kinds of cars so I’d usually think he’s spot on. (love his channel, his house is very local to me so it’s very cool spotting all of the local roads knowing where he is!)

I'd be surprised if Harry didn't have something to back up his comments. He always seems well informed and grounded.

Soldato
when I saw the video, wondered if the m3 auto-cruise braking/accelerating sensation, he mentioned, is exacerbated , if you have set the speed much higher than traffic is fllowing, and, are following (too) closely. ... the cruise in combination with auto-steer could be looking for a gap.

Soldato
But you drive a Chademo car?

They’re terrible for CCS. Some sites don’t have CCS at all, it’s only on one of the chargers and chances are it’s broken anyway. I’ve been let down so many times I avoid them like the plague now.
Ah that does make sense. Although (and this is a question - because I don't know) how much money have all these other manufacturers invested into the Electric Highway chargers. I'm pretty sure Nissan and Renault put quite a lot towards them.

Soldato
Ioniq due to be delivered Wednesday.

Going to be bitter sweet though. Nobody is buying cars right now. My WBAC valuation on my current car has dropped two grand in a week, despite a fresh MOT. It's now not even enough to settle the outstanding finance and pay the initial payment on the Ioniq (where before I was expecting to pocket £1,000-£1,500). So I've got two choices; let the car go for peanuts and fund the gap, or keep it, find the money to pay the initial on the Ioniq, and keep paying the monthlies on both until all this blows over. Tough choice.

Soldato
Ioniq due to be delivered Wednesday.

Going to be bitter sweet though. Nobody is buying cars right now. My WBAC valuation on my current car has dropped two grand in a week, despite a fresh MOT. It's now not even enough to settle the outstanding finance and pay the initial payment on the Ioniq (where before I was expecting to pocket £1,000-£1,500). So I've got two choices; let the car go for peanuts and fund the gap, or keep it, find the money to pay the initial on the Ioniq, and keep paying the monthlies on both until all this blows over. Tough choice.

That is very annoying. How about selling your current vehicle privately? I know one person I work alongside sometimes has just picked up a Zoe this week to reduce outgoings as they still have to drive for work, and the garage prices have not gone down, so they bought private.

Soldato
WBAC is a rubbish company, scum of the earth and well avoided. Taking advantage of the current situation is just another pointer to see that WBAC should be the last choice if at all possible. Sell privately, yes it's a bit more stress but their are the buyers out their - not everyone is a scammer.

I know it's easy to sell to WBAC, their ONLY positive point IMO, but that sort of reduction in valuation is nothing more than exploitation. Hopefully in this situation they will go under relatively shortly.

Soldato
I doubt they’re consciously taking advantage. If I recall WBAC are owned by BCA, the pricing is likely algorithm driven based on current stock, pricing and demand. I expect demand has collapsed, along with people trying to offload cars to free up cash, so prices will fall if there’s nobody around to buy them up.

Soldato
Indeed. I've had an advert up for a week and received no interest. Also contacted a few EV dealers, but they range from not buying right now, to only buying if I'm willing to give them a silly price.

Pretty much resigned to the fact I'm going to have to leave it sat on the driveway for a few months. It's not likely to cost me anything in the long run. But it's a bit of a sod on the cash flow front.

Associate
I think my next car will be fully electric. I'm thinking of the model 3 performance. My commute is 40 miles a day and there are chargers at work I can use if needed. Was planning on a visit to the local "dealer" this weekend but.. virus :rolleyes:

Soldato
when I saw the video, wondered if the m3 auto-cruise braking/accelerating sensation, he mentioned, is exacerbated , if you have set the speed much higher than traffic is fllowing, and, are following (too) closely. ... the cruise in combination with auto-steer could be looking for a gap.

more likely it’s a side effect of regenerative braking.

Back
Top Bottom