*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Xcom, bravely default 2 and xenoblade. Lots of play time there.

I've played Bioshock to death same with Borderlands.

Really pleased that they're bringing free updates to ring fit and animal crossing.

These directs throw a lot at you. I will read up on everything again to go through it all more slowly.

Still no Metroid...

Man of Honour
Xcom, bravely default 2 and xenoblade. Lots of play time there.

I've played Bioshock to death same with Borderlands.

Really pleased that they're bringing free updates to ring fit and animal crossing.

These directs throw a lot at you. I will read up on everything again to go through it all more slowly.

Still no Metroid...

It would be weird if they showed anything when it’s more than a year away from release, probably more than 2.

Man of Honour
I bought the Yoshi game on a whim. It’s kind of interesting in that it has the exact same problem as Luigi’s mansion, which is basically ‘laboriously turn over every stone to find as much stuff as possible for no reward’.

I do like exploring when it’s for getting new upgrades and things but I’m not going through the chore of throwing an egg at every possible thing just to avoid missing one of twenty red coins. Not for me! Thankfully it was quite fun just running through the levels and collecting things as you went. I never had to ‘go back’ to collect more flowers - waltzed though it even with sprinting the last dozen or so levels.

The only other obvious negative was the repetitive use of music. They really should have had a few more tunes - some were really overused.

Otherwise a pretty fun game and I did enjoy myself. Interesting to me that I just CBA with ‘turn over every stone’ mechanics. I think I’d rather wash up or something. I was very happy playing one this as casually as possible! You could go on for hours and hours and hours if you were determined to find everything so if that is your bag you might like it more than I did.

Also bough Flashback. Got to the second screen and died. Think that isn’t going to be turned on again :p

Soldato
Xcom 2 would be very exciting but I'm very skeptical on the performance front. Alas, since they took it out of GFN this is the next best thing to play on the go. Well, or stream from the PC with Parsec, but that's more complicated when without remote access.

Man of Honour
Goodness there is so much dross on the estore isn’t there.

Someone spec me a game! Requirements / thoughts.

It must be good (!).
Not super duper involved (like Dark Souls).
I do enjoy a Metroidvania and platformers. Favourite games this ‘gen’ are Hollowknight, Celeste, Zelda and Mario.
Animal crossing looks a bit redundant to me.

Basically I’m a lazy douchbag and want excellence. Why won’t you entertain me, world. Life is so unfair.

Soldato
Guys, slightly off the current topic, but in years gone by I remember I used to be able to change my nintendo account region code to allow me to access overseas e-shops/when I travel with work etc. Now when I go into my Nintendo account, the country/region option is greyed out. I don't have any balance on the account.

Anyone got any ideas what could cause it/ways to fix it? I've tried emailing Nintendo but with everything going on at the moment, I am not expecting a quick response!

Soldato

It must be good (!).
I do enjoy a Metroidvania and platformers. Favourite games this ‘gen’ are Hollowknight, Celeste, Zelda and Mario.

Basically I’m a lazy douchbag and want excellence. Why won’t you entertain me, world. Life is so unfair.
Hyper Light Drifter.

Man of Honour

It must be good (!).

The Switch is a Metroidvania machine, and it's my favourite genre.

Hollowknight
Steamworld Dig 1 & 2
Guacamelee 1 & 2
The Messenger
Dead Cells
Blaster Master Zero & Zero 2
Iconoclasts
Yoku's Island Express
The Mummy Demastered
Axiom Verge
Monster Boy
Owlboy
Gato Roboto
TimeSpinner
Ori
Super Metroid

Enjoy!

Man of Honour
Guys, slightly off the current topic, but in years gone by I remember I used to be able to change my nintendo account region code to allow me to access overseas e-shops/when I travel with work etc. Now when I go into my Nintendo account, the country/region option is greyed out. I don't have any balance on the account.

Anyone got any ideas what could cause it/ways to fix it? I've tried emailing Nintendo but with everything going on at the moment, I am not expecting a quick response!

Make sure you change it here: https://accounts.nintendo.com/profile

Man of Honour
Cheers both, much appreciated.

@Kreeeee yes I did quite enjoy the messenger, very good if you are partial to a sprinkling of humour and grew up with games of that sort. Owlboy though.... that was terrible, what are you like! Have you got around to playing it or was that based on reviews? I found it had little charm, the controls were clunky, the puzzles were simple, the player sprite (with someone in tow) was just too big and there was actually very little in the way of exploring. Also all the bosses seemed to be a case of spamming them with little strategy. All in all just not very satisfying and from googling around it seems that quite a lot of people are of that view.

I have no doubt that you played it long ago but Cave Story was great, but I sort of resent paying quite a lot of money for what is a 15 year old freeware game. I dunno, maybe I should just buy it to pay the creator his dues.

Associate
It’s kind of interesting in that it has the exact same problem as Luigi’s mansion, which is basically ‘laboriously turn over every stone to find as much stuff as possible for no reward’.

Best summary of my feelings on Luigi's mansion to be honest, lovely game which I hadn't actually seen much negative about (admittedly hadn't gone looking) but I ended up putting it to one side to go back to at a later date to see if it felt less monotonous.

Man of Honour
Cheers both, much appreciated.

@Kreeeee yes I did quite enjoy the messenger, very good if you are partial to a sprinkling of humour and grew up with games of that sort. Owlboy though.... that was terrible, what are you like! Have you got around to playing it or was that based on reviews? I found it had little charm, the controls were clunky, the puzzles were simple, the player sprite (with someone in tow) was just too big and there was actually very little in the way of exploring.

I have no doubt that you played it long ago but Cave Story was great, but I sort of resent paying quite a lot of money for what is a 15 year old freeware game. I dunno, maybe I should just buy it to pay the creator his dues.

I didn't like Owlboy despite is being very pretty, but a lot of people seem to like it so I left it on the list for people to consider.

I haven't started The Messenger yet as I haven't touched single player Switch games since getting Game Pass.

I was very relieved when Cave Story+ was finished, it really dragged on at the end, I played it recently on the Switch so maybe it was better played 15 years ago.

Out of my list I highly recommend Steamworld, Guacamelee, Axiom Verge, and Yoku's Island Express.

Man of Honour
Best summary of my feelings on Luigi's mansion to be honest, lovely game which I hadn't actually seen much negative about (admittedly hadn't gone looking) but I ended up putting it to one side to go back to at a later date to see if it felt less monotonous.
I think it may have been you who commented at the same time as me last year, in that we both lost interest when it distinctly changed from ‘spooky hotel’ to ‘themed levels’ which made the charm drop dramatically and the problem with the mechanic became more obvious. Perhaps that was someone else but that’s when I put it to one side.

Back
Top Bottom